THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Namibia: Minimum Legal Caliber for Plains Game?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia: Minimum Legal Caliber for Plains Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I've seen references indicating that the minimum legal caliber for plains game in Namibia is 7mm (NAPHA's website) and, in a couple of other cases, I've seen it specified as .270.

Yet, I understand that some Namibian game ranches recommend the .243 for the little antelopes.

I like the .25-06 and want to use it for the smaller species, but I don't want to risk running into any legal issues.

I've emailed NAPHA for clarification, but thought someone on this forum might be able to give me a quicker answer.

Thanks.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope this is of some help to you, from the 2004 HUNTINAMIBIA book published by the NAPHA and the Namibian Ministry of Environment & Tourism, page 40,

Weapons required:

Minimum muzzle energy is prescribed by law as follows:
a) 5400 joules-buffalo
b) 2700 joules-for animals such as eland,kudu,oryx,wildebeast,hartebeast,etc.
c) 1350 joules-for springbok and smaller

For categories b and c no solids may be used.

Generally a minimum of a 7 X 64 or 30.06 is advised for plainsgame hunting and a 375 H&H or 458 for buffalo and elephant.

Importation of 80 rounds per rifle is allowed.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9369 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To convert joules to foot/pounds, multiply joules by 0.7376 and this will give you the foot/pounds.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Kathi,
You know your stuff!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much.

Incidentally, my favorite .25-06 load, with the 115 grain Nosler Partition at 3,000 fps, generates 3,100 joules of muzzle energy.

That's enough for eland, by theses specs.

But I think I'll stick with my .338 Win. Mag. for the big ones.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kathi, or others.

Does the book you quoted from have any reference to a minimum caliber, or only minimum energy?
Like mrlexma, I read the caliber limitation on the NAPHA web site, under "Hunting Laws."

http://www.natron.net/napha/english/index.html

I am planning a hunt to Namibia next summer with my son.
We plan on bringing a 270 Win for him. We feel it is perfectly adequate for the animals he will hunt, Gemsbok and Springbok being the largest.
But, now I am concerned about the minimum caliber issue.

Dave

Posts: 38 | Location: South Korea | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, only energy. The info I quoted was directly from the book. I will see what else I can find in other reference material.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring the .270...I've never had any problems in Namibia with anyone checking or even being aware of any regulations

I've spent a lot of time in Namibia and I have seen the .270 used an awful lot by a lot of hunters and farmers there.

Enjoy your safari

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I agree that those packing cubes are great! I love 'em.

On the other hand, I've never had a problem with the customs/immigration folks in Namibia. The only thing I've had checked was the serial numbers on my rifles for obtaining the import permit. They never counted my ammunition, only asked how many rounds I had.

On the other hand, I will offer a suggestion for when leaving Namibia. Please, please, please, don't pick up any nice or interesting stones to bring home. My friend had picked up a few pieces of quartz to bring home, and told the customs people about them. They hauled him into a room, subjected him to a rather intense interrigation for 20 minutes, pulled his luggage off the plane, and searched every bit of it. They're quite serious about smuggeling gold and diamonds out of the country, and this is what their concern was. As many people know, gold is found in quartz-bearing rock.