New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've followed the debate about the pros and cons of bolts vs doubles vs levers vs single shots with great interest.
Apart from arguments about calibre choice it seems when it comes to DG hunting the debate always ends up with the time it takes to make a follow-up shot.(and the 'romance' of doubles and bolts in africa)

Can someone explain to me why I never see a big-bore in semi-auto configuration?Are the actions not up to the task?
(Wouldn't want one, just asking.)

Gently now please.

OK...Let the scolding commence.

posted Hide Post
Big-bores have been built on the Browning BAR; I know that John Wootters' wife used one in .416 Taylor. Tromix is experimenting with some larger wildcats on the AR platform.

AFAIK, you cannot import a semi-auto into any of the African countries (as if they were somehow worse than the ubiquitous AKs ), so there is very little call for a big-bore semi-auto.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning makes the BAR in .338 Win Mag which, to my knowledge, is the largest caliber available in a hunting rifle (no, a Barret .50 BMG is NOT a hunting rifle). Basically there is too great a risk for malfuctions IMHO. Add the infamous African dust to the mix and you've just cooked up a recipe for disaster.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right, I forgot about the semi auto import regulations. Also, a 2 piece stock and an unsupported action are not conducive to best accuracy. The "BOSS" system greatly increases accuracy but BAR's are not exactly known for shooting small groups.

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Hunting with several people that own BAR's in .300 win mag, I would never trust one for a follow up shot. I guess it's just harder to get them to fuction properly with the longer case length. I have yet to see one that didn't jam at some point or another.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming African hunting, as George stated, most African countries (that I'm aware of) do not allow the importation of semi-automatic rifles. So, whether or not the semi-auto is a viable choice is irrelevant.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote