New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Omay in Oct?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone hunted the Omay for buff in late sept through Oct? Is this a good time? If not, why not? I have hunted there in early Sept with great luck.

All responses appreciated,

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
PG, I have enjoyed hunting Omay north twice during September through October. At this time of year it is very hot and dry but Omy north is adjacent to the lake so the winds can be plesant.
I was impresed while hunting the hills to find many runing springs in such dry terrain.
This year has been a terrible drought so the local people are starving so poching would be bad.
Last safari I was lucky enough to take a hard bossed 43+" Buff.
What area are you looking at and for how long?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you booked yet or still contemplating. You probably can get a deal but it will be very hot. I know some folks there if you need connections. Dande as well. I have recently heard of some good values but for me I would go earlier like Aug/Sept.

York, SC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. My schedule is booked solid. My PH had a few buff hunt openings late. I had considered going, but can't rearrange my calander.

Guess I will wait until next year. Hope to go to the Dande in June or July.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hot and dry, thats good, all the animals will be near water and easier to locate....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I have been in the Omay twice in late October. Without a question it is one of the hottest places on the planet. Day temps in the range of 120 are common. The lake helps in some areas, however, it’s tough to soft sell 120 degrees.

As far as game is concerned, there is no vegetation to hide behind and the animals must move towards water. If you can stand the heat, it is exceptional hunting. The area is particularly productive for large leopard, good Sable, good Kudu, good buff, and good ele.

In recent years the Omay has experienced a lot of poaching. The last reports I received this year indicate this has taken a toll on the animal populations. Take a few days off and rent a house boat for Lake Kariba. Excellent tiger fishing and plenty of wildlife to see...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be hotter than hot there especially if your up on Butches land(north) but its still fun and the camps he runs are nice.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote