Find
Notify
Tools

Sable and Roan Antelope in RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted
In RSA, what is the going rate for either Roan or Sable antelope?

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Sable $7,500 - $10,000

Roan $10,000 (if you can find anyone who has some to hunt).

RSA is NOT where you want to hunt sable and roan.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, sable and especially roan are super expensive.
I have never seen a roan on offer as they were (are?) one of a handful of mammals in RSA considered endangered.

Sable hunting is limited but I have seen some huge ones when I worked for NWPB is Pilanesberg (who had , I think, two hunted each year) and Borakolalo.

They battle on most private land because of the exclusion by water dependents like impala, BWB and zebra and because of rangeland management practice of the past based on more agricultural models. They need a mosaic type rangeland with varying stages of succession and 'long grass veld'. Lack of this suitable habitat outside of the more natural fire ecology in larger parks inhibits them from thriving on the one hand.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Don't know his current prices, but Greater Kuduland safaris has both Sable and Roan available in RSA. His place near Alldays is huge -- over 33,000 acres I'm told. Was on this property in 2002 hunting Gemsbok and Impala (with another outfitter), and saw some bruiser Sable and Roan. I know that Ron Oliver of Zwsafaris http://www.zwsafaris.com/Kudland%20%20Rifle.htm books for them

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they or were they ever indigenous to South Africa?

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Found this on the internet.

The roan (Hippotragus equinus) once enjoyed an enormous distribution in the savannas and woodlands surrounding the west African rainforest, from Gambia east to western Ethiopia. then south to southwestern Tanzania, and from there west to the Angolan coast, southwest to northern Namibia, and southeast to Swaziland. The sable (Hippotragus niger) occupied similar country in central and southeast Africa from southeastern Kenya south through eastern Tanzania and Mozambique to Swaziland and the Transvaal and west through Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia, and southern Zaire to northeastern Namibia and eastern Angola. An isolated population in central Angola that contained very large individuals with massive horns was distinguished as the "giant sable".

The approximate distributions of the roan, sable, and blue antelopes in historic times.

SABLE

ROAN

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Appaled, I am appaled:

10 000 $ for a Roan ???????????

For this you can have a 10 days safari in Burkina Faso and pick a trophy Roan, seeing about 100 roans every day. Perhaps the airfare and the taxidermy might be included in the 10 000$.

Definitely the Burkina is the cheapest safari country.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RSA has always been a more marginal sable and roan area of the continent. There are many more sable in our neighbors like Zim, Bots, Zambia etc.

yes, there certainly were indigenous but limited in distribution.
Capt. Cornwallis Harris describes shooting sable in south africa in what ibelive, is the now the area around eastern North West province

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
To confirm what has been said- It is much cheaper to hunt them outside of RSA. I charge US$6500 for sable, and US$9000 for roan with my oufit.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote