THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    One of Kruger National Parks great tuskers dies of a heart attack

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of Kruger National Parks great tuskers dies of a heart attack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Taken from www.sanparks.co.za

Media Release: KNP tusker Alexander dies of heart attack

Mooiplaas Section Ranger Mr
Johann Oelofse showing the
distinctive hole on the right ear
that was used to positively identify
this carcass

One of the elephants with the largest tusks in the Kruger National Park (KNP), Alexander, passed away on Saturday February 7, 2009 seemingly of a heart attack.

The animal was discovered lying on its side near the T-junction two kilometres from Mopani Rest Camp by a research student, Ms Mariaan Venter, who immediately contacted the section ranger for that area, Mr Johann Oelofse.

“Upon my arrival, I found this elephant lying beside a game path a mere eight metres from the tarred surface and from the size of the tusks, I immediately realised that it must be Alexander,” said Mr Oelofse, Mooiplaas Section Ranger.

Of particular interest to conservationists and researchers alike is the short time lapse in which the carcass was discovered after the elephant died.

“After talking to a passing visitor who showed me photographs she had apparently taken ‘only a short while ago’ as they passed the elephant en route to Mopani Camp, we confirmed the time that the photograph was taken on her camera and discovered that the elephant had still been alive a mere 27min before! This was an amazing coincidence and I realised that this must be the closest the KNP has ever pin-pointed the time of death of one of the tuskers to within the hour,” he commented.

Heart and lung tissue have been removed from the carcass which will be used to establish the exact cause of death. As is normal practice, the ivory will be removed from the carcass, weighed and then stored for possible display purposes.

Visitors to the KNP are invited to participate in the Emerging Tuskers Competition by sending in their photographs of elephants with large tusks. Photographs and video material sent in by visitors are used to understand the habits and movements of tuskers in an attempt to learn more about them.

Winners, who are announced yearly, get to win a multitude of prizes which include accommodation in the KNP, books and other material and the first prize, an exclusive opportunity to accompany an elephant researcher for a day’s research in the KNP.

For more information and entry forms, look on the SANParks Website (http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/elephants/tuskers/emerging_project.php) or enquire at the Elephant Museum in Letaba Rest Camp (013 735 6664).

Below is a photo I took of him in Dec 07, close to Oliphants

They should have auctioned him off to the highest paying hunter. Wander what the tusks weighed?????

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He probably had a heart attack from carrying all that weight around.

If they would have let me shoot him, this would never have happened! beer

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sad to see those legends die. A great book for those that love big tuskers is Great Tuskers of Africa. Some stunning elephant bulls in that book.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Sad to see those legends die. A great book for those that love big tuskers is Great Tuskers of Africa. Some stunning elephant bulls in that book.

+ 1 , i love the pictures in that book.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His tusks

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Heart and lung tissue have been removed from the carcass which will be used to establish the exact cause of death. As is normal practice, the ivory will be removed from the carcass, weighed and then stored for possible display purposes.

This is concerning they might find my .22 bullet and i didnt have time to remove the ivory jumping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote