THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is your definitive african plainsgame list??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your definitive african plainsgame list??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted
Since the hunting season is just about to kick into full swing, i thought it would be a good time to see what peoples views are on the "must haves" when it comes to a first time plainsgame hunt.

My personal list would be:-

Impala
Warthog
Zebra
Kudu

In my opinion each offer different challenges when it comes to hunting them and would be on the "must haves" list for any first time hunter to africa.

I have no experience of hunting in east africa so my list is limited to southern africa, it will be interesting to see what other people come up with.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nevster

All would be my recommendation for a first safari. In most places these animals will be available in good numbers and success is pretty much assured. They are all fun to hunt and make great trophies. Also they are not terribly expensive to hunt.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevster
posted Hide Post
I knew someone was going to say that, i wasnt expecting it on the first reply though Smiler

I was more trying to see what peoples favorite plainsgame to hunt are, and keep lists down to about 4 species, those animals that remind you and make you feel what africa is all about.

cheers

Craig.

Posts: 168 | Location: London,UK | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Recently returned from Namibia. Took Blesbok, Springbok, Blue Widebeest, Kudu.

The wildebeest was not a priority till after I got it. Wonderful trophy. How do I post a pic here? Help me out and I will give you a glance at it.

thanks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, reread the question and see you said
" first time" plainsgame hunt. So I'd have to add Blue Wildebeest to your list. But keep in mind I'm a B.W. junkie thumb Big Grin I've taken 3 so far and hope to take MANY more.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alrighty then Razzer here is my four.
Blue Wildebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Blue Wildebeest roflmao nut

If you were to twist my arm Winkand I just got to pick 4 species then.
Kudu
Zebra
Impala
and.... well, you get the idea....Blue Wildebeest
jump

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Although I've only been once, this would be my list if I had to do it all over again:

Kudu
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest
Impala
Zebra

I did take three of the five on this list and could have taken the zebra but chose not to. Could never find that blasted kudu though. So, the kudu and zebra will be top on the list for the second trip.

graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"...when it comes to a first time plainsgame hunt."

Kudu
Gemsbok (If they are available in the same area as Kudu. If not, then substitute Zebra)
Blue Wildebeest
Impala
Warthog

(I'm mainly thinking about hunting in South Africa or Namibia here. Both good first time destinations.)

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt the game that is indigenous to the particular area. Kudu are a definite top trophy, and are well-distributed as noted in the post above.

It seems though that I like to shoot impala and wart hog, because I shoot them on just about every hunt.

Gemsbok are more difficult and fun to hunt, but not as widely distributed. I agree that the "kudu-gemsbok" combination is a great one if they are both available.

With something like 62 species of antelope in all of Africa, there definitely is no end of them to hunt. Mostly Namibia, Zimbabwe and South Africa get most of the first-time hunters, although some head up to Tanzania and exposure to the Eastern Africa fauna.

The "beests" are widely distributed too: especially blue. Red (hartebeest), black w-beest are less so. The blue is also called the "poor man's Cape buffalo" for their size and hardiness.

So my list is:

kudu
gemsbok
blue wildebeest
impala
wart hog.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my hunters want according to my records:

Kudu is no. 1
Gemsbok is no. 2
Warthog or Zebrza are about tied for no. 3

From that point on it varies but popular animals are Eland, Springbok, Impala, Wildebeest, Nyala, Zebra, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Mt. Reedbuck, Vaal Rhebook, its pretty much varies past the first 4 it appears..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I am going to S.A March-06,Madubula Safaris
Short list-
Kudu
Nyala
Bushbuck
Waterbuck
Wildebeast

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My "must haves" was pretty short. Kudu, impala, and warthog say Africa to anyone, and were highlites of my trip. I had the time, money, and experienced staff to add in world-class springbok, blesbok, hartebeest, gemsbok, blue WB, and zebra. The wife forbid me to look at teeny-weenies. Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you do not have such a list.The reason being once you have been you will continue to go.Depending on where you hunt can limit you some what.My thinking is you have X amount of money to spend,if a great trophy thats not on your list gives you a shot take it.Back in 1999 I passed on a killer Eland.It was not on my list.So the now the trips in 2000 and 2004 I have not seen a shooter.When opportunity knocks you need to answer.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Going to Namibia in Aug. for my first safari. My priorities are kudu and gemsbok. If I come home with only those 2 trophies I'll be happy.

After the kudu and oryx it's more of a see what else I can get. Of these, zebra is next as my girlfriend's daughter is just obsessed with all things zebra. Then the list goes:

Eland
Springbok
Warthog
Wildebeest
Impala

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm all for taking advantage of every plainsgame opportunity, but here's my 'basic-favorites' list. My definitive list would include all legal plaisngame species from every African hunting country:

greater kudu
lesser kudu
Cape kudu
sable
eland (any and all)
roan (any and all)
impala (south. & east. African, and black-faced)
warthog
blue wildebeest
black wildbeest
Nyassaland wildebeest
Cookson's wildebeest
Burchell's zebra
Hartmann's zebra
duiker (any and all)
suni
greysbok
blesbok
bontebok
lechwe
sitatunga (any and all)
bushbuck (any and all varieties)
tsessebe
topi
red hartebeest
Cookson's hartebeest
puku
dik dik (any and all)
reedbok (any and all)
Vaal rhebok (my "Special Merit" award-winner!)
Grant's gazelle
Thompson's gazelle
Gernuk
giraffe

AD

One of Us
Picture of Charles Mc Williams
posted Hide Post
All of these are fair chase only. This is not a plains animal but;

Bongo
Bongo
Bongo
Bongo
Bongo

Charlie

Posts: 343 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Have

Impala
Spingbok (2)
Blesbok (2)
Gemsbok (3)
Blue Wildebeest (3)
Kudu
Eland
Hartebeest (Red)
Warthog
Zebra (Hartmann’s)
Jackal (Not Kept)

Next 2 Trips

Roan or Sable
Black Wildebeest
Waterbuck
Burchell’s Zebra
Bushbuck
Lord Derby Eland
Hyena
(Plus DG - Buff)

Maybe Someday

Bongo
Lechwe
Tsessebe
Sitatunga
Bontebok
B & W Springbok Gazelle (Tommie)
(& more DG - Ellie)

That should pretty much do it.

S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first trip, the list in order of priority was as follows:
Kudu
Gemsbok
Eland
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest
Impala

My next trip, it will be depending on where I go but the priorities in order are:
Nyala
Bushbuck
Sable
Grant's Gazelle
Lesser Kudu
Tommie
Puku

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote