New
Find
Notify
Tools

MD Advice on Meds for Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My hunting buddy was a talented ,bright surgeon/MD and he is no longer with us. I am heading to Zimbabwe mid June.I recently relocated and I do not yet have a internist or family Dr. nor do I have a resource yet for a referal .I went on the CDC website . Today I went to see a Dr. from the CDC website. I always do a fair amount of research. The Dr. today insisted I get a Yellow Fever vaccine for travel to Zimbabwe. I explained to her I was traveling through Dubai to Harare and the Yellow Fever vaccine was not required . She would not take no for an answer so I respectfully declined her services .
Now I am back to square one. I plan on taking Malarone. I do not know if I have had a hepatitis A or B vaccine, if I did it was 12-14 years ago . Is there any problem retaking the Hep A/B shots? I plan on getting a tetanus booster. Are there any other shots or medicine one should take to error on the side of caution on hunting in Zimbabwe?
I would also like a recommendation for a name of a prescription diarrhea medicine, and also a name of a good antibiotic to take with for a possible bacteria infection.Are there any other meds you recommend I present to the Dr. I will be seeing to take on our trip to make ourselves as healthy as possible? I am finding the clinics are not at the same level as the experienced MD’s I have associated with in the past.
Please feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 737 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to have a few MDs as my friends.

The yellow fever is not required for southern Africa. It was in 2006 for Tanzania, but that's all. I keep my hepatitis A & B up to date. I bring Laruium for malaria. Once I forgot it and it was avaiable at the airport in Jo'burg. My tetanus is up to date.

I take cipeo and cephlaxin (spelling?) for two antibiotics. I forgot the anti diarrhea pills I bring with me. I also bring pain meds, sleep meds for the flight over and my diabetic supplies. However, the last several years Zimbabwe has had a good supply of meds and everything I need or use has been avaiable at chemists (drug stores) in the ciites and towns.

In 2002-3-5 I used to stock up on my diabetic meds in South AFrica as the same meds there cost less than my co pay in the States!!

You can give your meds to the locals when you depart. Your PH will want some, too--either for his personal use or his medical kit.

In 2008 about nothing was available in Zim for meds but that has changed now. Bring what you can and you can also buy what you need when there. The US dollar goes a long way in SA (14:1) and even more so in Zim as all cash there has dried up and can't be found. If you have US $ you will be treated like a king and folks will kiss up to you for your business.
Good luck on your trip.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD- You will need your malarone and make sure that your Tetnas jab is up to date. Hip A and B I would not bother with and as Cal says Yellow fever is non existent here.

I would take two anti biotics - Cypro ( good for gut and or ear issues and then Doxcycline which is a great all round anti biotic if you get a cut that gets infected etc ( however you need to be aware that one often reacts with both to direct sunlight so make sure you have some good sunscreen!)

Have a great safari!!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I am fortunate to have a few MDs as my friends.

The yellow fever is not required for southern Africa. It was in 2006 for Tanzania, but that's all. I keep my hepatitis A & B up to date. I bring Laruium for malaria. Once I forgot it and it was avaiable at the airport in Jo'burg. My tetanus is up to date.

I take cipeo and cephlaxin (spelling?) for two antibiotics. I forgot the anti diarrhea pills I bring with me. I also bring pain meds, sleep meds for the flight over and my diabetic supplies. However, the last several years Zimbabwe has had a good supply of meds and everything I need or use has been avaiable at chemists (drug stores) in the ciites and towns.

In 2002-3-5 I used to stock up on my diabetic meds in South AFrica as the same meds there cost less than my co pay in the States!!

You can give your meds to the locals when you depart. Your PH will want some, too--either for his personal use or his medical kit.

In 2008 about nothing was available in Zim for meds but that has changed now. Bring what you can and you can also buy what you need when there. The US dollar goes a long way in SA (14:1) and even more so in Zim as all cash there has dried up and can't be found. If you have US $ you will be treated like a king and folks will kiss up to you for your business.
Good luck on your trip.
Cal

Cal, if you take Larium as a malaria prophylaxis, you are in the extreme minority. Very few people take Latium, as bad reactions are known to occur. Malarone is the safer and much more widely used malaria med.

With regard to Hep A&b, you can get a combo vaccine and it requires 2 shots several weeks apart. After a booster a year later, you’re good to go for life. A cholera vaccine isn’t a bad idea, it’s readily available as a drink. Cipro and Doxy pretty much cover it for antibiotics. One additional thought... a strong prescription painkiller isn’t a bad idea. I took Tramadol with me to Zambia 6 months ago. I did sustain a bad shoulder injury and tore my rotator cuff (surgery in 2 days!) and for all the good Tramadol did, I might as well have shoved them up my ass for suppositories. I was in significant pain. Next trip, there’ll be a bottle of Percocet as a pain killer, just in case anyone gets hurt bad.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is getting harder to find a good primary care doc! Insurance issues and all.

Anyhow, for immunizations you do need to figure out what you have had.

For certain, you need to have tetanus up to date- within 10 years.

I'd get the typhoid vaccine as well. That's available as a shot or oral. I like the oral better. It's a series, so you will need multiple appointments for that, but the injection is every 2 years.

Make sure you had the polio series as well. If you had it as a kid, you are fine.

They now want you to have a dose of measles/jumps/rubella after age 12. Depending on how old you are you may need 2 doses.

You can get cholera vaccine- but it's not mandated.

Rabies- up to you. I got it, but getting it does not stop the need for immunoglobulin in an exposure situation. For guys hunting cats, I'd say it's a nobrainer to get it, but bats are the most likely cause, and often you don't know you were bitten. Most camps you sleep under mosquito nets, so... in the end your call.

Yellow fever isn't necessary.

Hep A is a 3 shot series. Depending on how you get it, sometimes they recommend a booster. This is recommended.

Hep b is a 3 shot series and is recommended for everyone, not just travelers.

As to antibiotics... kind of depends on your background as to medical stuff.

No background- get a course of cipro. If you get the diarrhea for more than 3 days start it, or if there is some obvious infection. It is broad spectrum and works on most stuff.

If you have some clue as to what kind of infections... Cipro and doxycycline. Doxy works for tick fever and some kinds of infections cipro doesn't.

If you really know what to look for, a third Med might be a good idea, but since you are asking... don't bother .

I'd bring a good anti inflammatory. Ibuprofen or aspirin are good. Tylenol is a safer choice for pain, but it does not have anti inflammatory properties.

Narcotics- these can be a source of no end of trouble. If you don't have a history of something needing them (kidney stones, etc) I'd avoid the risk of an African jail. It can be done, but.... if you must, make sure it's in the original script bottle with your name and directions on it.

If you have any prescription mess you take regularly, take them plus a written set of scripts in case you need to replace something so you know what it is.

I'd also bring hydrocortisone or similar cream.

There really is no need for prescription antidiarreals. Imodium is pretty much what we use regardless.

Get a supply of allergy pills. Claritin or Zyrtec. Stay away from Benadryl as it's controlled in some countries (Zambia for certain)

If you are over 50, I'd bring a vial of nitroglycerin tabs although mostly they are not needed. With aspirin this can be a lifesaver if you have a heart attack while waiting for your evacuation.

If you have bad allergies or asthma, a supply of prednisone can be a lifesaver.

You really need to kind of make a risk/benefit assessment with your doc. You don't want to be a walking pharmacy, but some simple things are useful.

Also, make sure you have a Med Evac insurance plan.

Global rescue/Med jet/whatever. Most companies insist on something.

As to malaria, you need to start malarone a few days before and continue about a week after you return. Any doc can prescribe that.

Some folks recommend doxy for that too. I don't. Side effects, resistance building, esophagitis, etc. are reasons not to. If your allergic or have a reaction to malarone is about the only real reason to use it.

Latium has a lot of psych reactions. It's no longer recommended.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larium not Latium.... autocorrect sucks.

Also, when you get the immunizations, get them on a yellow card and keep it with your passport. That way you always have the info somewhere, and it's what the immigration authorities demand.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
It is getting harder to find a good primary care doc! Insurance issues and all.

Anyhow, for immunizations you do need to figure out what you have had.

For certain, you need to have tetanus up to date- within 10 years.

I'd get the typhoid vaccine as well. That's available as a shot or oral. I like the oral better. It's a series, so you will need multiple appointments for that, but the injection is every 2 years.

Make sure you had the polio series as well. If you had it as a kid, you are fine.

They now want you to have a dose of measles/jumps/rubella after age 12. Depending on how old you are you may need 2 doses.

You can get cholera vaccine- but it's not mandated.

Rabies- up to you. I got it, but getting it does not stop the need for immunoglobulin in an exposure situation. For guys hunting cats, I'd say it's a nobrainer to get it, but bats are the most likely cause, and often you don't know you were bitten. Most camps you sleep under mosquito nets, so... in the end your call.

Yellow fever isn't necessary.

Hep A is a 3 shot series. Depending on how you get it, sometimes they recommend a booster. This is recommended.

Hep b is a 3 shot series and is recommended for everyone, not just travelers.

As to antibiotics... kind of depends on your background as to medical stuff.

No background- get a course of cipro. If you get the diarrhea for more than 3 days start it, or if there is some obvious infection. It is broad spectrum and works on most stuff.

If you have some clue as to what kind of infections... Cipro and doxycycline. Doxy works for tick fever and some kinds of infections cipro doesn't.

If you really know what to look for, a third Med might be a good idea, but since you are asking... don't bother .

I'd bring a good anti inflammatory. Ibuprofen or aspirin are good. Tylenol is a safer choice for pain, but it does not have anti inflammatory properties.

Narcotics- these can be a source of no end of trouble. If you don't have a history of something needing them (kidney stones, etc) I'd avoid the risk of an African jail. It can be done, but.... if you must, make sure it's in the original script bottle with your name and directions on it.

If you have any prescription mess you take regularly, take them plus a written set of scripts in case you need to replace something so you know what it is.

I'd also bring hydrocortisone or similar cream.

There really is no need for prescription antidiarreals. Imodium is pretty much what we use regardless.

Get a supply of allergy pills. Claritin or Zyrtec. Stay away from Benadryl as it's controlled in some countries (Zambia for certain)

If you are over 50, I'd bring a vial of nitroglycerin tabs although mostly they are not needed. With aspirin this can be a lifesaver if you have a heart attack while waiting for your evacuation.

If you have bad allergies or asthma, a supply of prednisone can be a lifesaver.

You really need to kind of make a risk/benefit assessment with your doc. You don't want to be a walking pharmacy, but some simple things are useful.

Also, make sure you have a Med Evac insurance plan.

Global rescue/Med jet/whatever. Most companies insist on something.

As to malaria, you need to start malarone a few days before and continue about a week after you return. Any doc can prescribe that.

Some folks recommend doxy for that too. I don't. Side effects, resistance building, esophagitis, etc. are reasons not to. If your allergic or have a reaction to malarone is about the only real reason to use it.

Latium has a lot of psych reactions. It's no longer recommended.

You only need to start on Malarone a day before departure to Africa..

I would argue that it is stupid not to have Hep. A+B and rabies vaccine, the latter will buy you dearly needed time to reach treatment..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't NEED yellow fever; it's not required, though it is off and on in neighboring countries. It won't hurt, but you don't NEED it.

Malarone is good; I take the local Deltaprim weekly and I haven't had malaria since '87.

Tetanus shot, yes.

I keep three prescription antibiotics at home: Zithromycin, doxycycline, and cloxacillin.

There are lots of good private clinics in Zimbabwe, and most of the pharmacies aren't bad - though you may need cash USD. The US Embassy has a list of local GPs they've done some vetting on if you need one, and there is a First World emergency response outfit here called ACE Ambulance. They have a relationship with Gobal Rescue in the 'States, and I would subscribe to Global or a similar plan if coming to Africa.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doxy will be effective malaria and has activity against tick borne illnesses, but One of the side effects is photo sensitivity, bad reaction to sun. I have seen it and it isn’t nice. I carry it, with cipro and cephhalexin, but use malarone for malaria prophylaxis. Possible mental side effects with Larium, I avoid it.
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is a strong oral steroid, prednisone or methyl prednisolone. Might want it for scorpion or spider bite or one of those nasty caterpillars that give nasty skin reactions.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Several of us have been taking Latium for years and years.

No side effects at all - apparently the side effects affect the brains, so we had nothing to worry about!

The past few years we have been taking Malarone.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68795 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more note on Doxy- if you take that before bed the sun sensitivity issues are lessened over a morning dose. A sunscreen with zinc will protect you best.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4WD:

Many cities have travel clinics that are well versed in exactly what one needs for the location to which one is traveling. we have a couple locally. They are great.

I would try to find one of those.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned before, doxy can burn your osophogus. If you are going to take it in the evening do it before dinner. After dinner / before bed, it will burn you!
Don’t forget some good electrolytes, if only to put back what the sweat takes out or should you get the runs.
I have had the rabies course and a booster. Apparently this gives life long immunity, though I would definitely have another booster if scratched or bitten.Phenergen is another consideration for allergy’s, can help with airsickness and sleep when travelling. Just be aware that it has a long lasting effect and could leave you groggy for a day or two.
Some people go the other way and go hyper.
Cheers Stu

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Dr. Butler and Larry Shores make a couple very good points. As to Dr. Butler’s...

he is spot on about opioids, potential trouble with authorities and having them in a current prescription bottle with your name on it if you do take them. My doctor suggested something, just in case of a bad injury (which I’d never seen on 4 previous safaris), but I was concerned about taking Percocet in case Zambian authorities took issue with it. So, he gave me Tramadol. Then, I did suffer a bad injury and was in great pain. The Tramadol was worthless. My next trip, there will be Percocet in a prescription bottle. Moral of the story - Don’t try to run down a poacher when you’re nearly sixty and you probably won’t need it. I did try to chase one down (Richard Bell-Cross had already flattened his partner, it was awesome!), stepped into a hole while running at full speed and crashed hard. I sprained my knee, cracked 2 ribs and tore my rotator cuff. I was in significant pain. I kept hunting (it happened near the end of my hunt) but was absolutely miserable. I’d have given anything to have a strong painkiller like Percocet.

Larry’s comment about travel clinics is spot on. My doctor suggested I go to one after he gave me the prescriptions, as he said they’d be able to help me with a few things he couldn’t, like a cholera vaccine. It was easy and affordable. For my next trip, we’ll definitely stop by the local travel clinic in addition to my doc.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Some Elephant deterrent cream is recommended.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the replies and advice. We are trying to avoid spending any time running around Harare. Some of you I have sent a PM.
Thanks again.

Posts: 737 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Andrew, maybe you would want to join us. We could use you as the elephant deterent .I am sure that would work much better than your recommended cream!!
Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Before my first trip to Zimbabwe in 2017 my wife and I went to the "Travel Medicine Specialist". I am going to the local clinic tomorrow and request refills of the list below.

He asked exactly where we were going (the SAVE) and prescribed the following:

Vivotif Berna
Atovaquone-Proguanil
Azithtomycin and
Ciprofloxacin

I am not making medical recommendations, just passing along my personal experience.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have been vaccinated against everything for which vaccines are available.

I'm as immune as immune can be.

And for everything else, I have Zithromax, Cipro and Doxycycline.

And for every other thing else, I have Immodium and Zyrtec.

And for the tsetse flies and mosquitoes, I have 100% DEET, mixed with Nivea, and Malarone.

And for the rest, I have my prescription medicine and mobile CVS body repair packet.

And finally, should all else fail, I have Global Rescue.

And yet, I do wonder sometimes, am I missing anything?

Confused Big Grin Big Grin Confused

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I have been vaccinated against everything for which vaccines are available.

I'm as immune as immune can be.

And for everything else, I have Zithromax, Cipro and Doxycycline.

And for every other thing else, I have Immodium and Zyrtec.

And for the tsetse flies and mosquitoes, I have 100% DEET, mixed with Nivea, and Malarone.

And for the rest, I have my prescription medicine and mobile CVS body repair packet.

And finally, should all else fail, I have Global Rescue.

And yet, I do wonder sometimes, am I missing anything?

Confused Big Grin Big Grin Confused

Eye drops

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
Hey Andrew, maybe you would want to join us. We could use you as the elephant deterent .I am sure that would work much better than your recommended cream!!
Cheers.

No thanks the last time I tried to put the cream on the elephant it nearly killed me.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take your vaccination record to Passport Health. They will tell you what you need and when you need to get the vaccinations.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Some Elephant deterrent cream is recommended.

I prefer the injections to the cream.

Preferably injected with a 500NE DR!!!

Whistling