Find
Notify
Tools

White Bongo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Don't know how many of you have already seen this, but I figured this animal deserved proper recognition. This is a 34 inch white Bongo taken in the C.A.R. The pics are from the Hunting Report website. The hunter is not pictured (that's the PH, Mike Currie), but that guy is one lucky SOB........congrats to him. thumb

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Quick fix with an airbrush Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard CAR technique.

They sat in a machan/tree stand over a salt lick at night. They spotted the bongo with night vision binos, then the PH put a lazer spot on the bongo and the client aims at and shoots the red dot. Client only sees the red dot.

Personally I like the regular color better. But that is a monster.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I don't think it is a white just a color pigmentation gone astray... As for an albino it does not have any of the pink traits as seen in an albino deer pinkish ears, pink nose..likght colored eyes even pink skin around the face..

It still is a heck of a trophy...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Well I don't know if Bongo are anything like Whitetails, but if they are......I know Whitetails can be white without being albino. There are white Whitetails, piebald Whitetails, and albino Whitetails. A white should be pretty much the same as a true albino without the pink eyes, face, skin, etc.....

Just my thoughts....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
I think it was last year that there were some pics of a White Bongo at a salt lick that were take in the C.A.R.. I true trophy indeed. Congrats to the unknown hunter.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard CAR technique.They sat in a machan/tree stand over a salt lick at night. They spotted the bongo with night vision binos, then the PH put a lazer spot on the bongo and the client aims at and shoots the red dot. Client only sees the red dot.

really???? Confused

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, really.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Photos of this bongo when alive were taken by Club Faune's PHs
Club faune CAR, JP Bernon

and printed in some hunting magazines 3 years agi. Eventually, I remember him being shot a couple of months ago.

SG Olds
The ugly technique that You depict isn't at all used by all the PHs and by far.
In my 2 safaris experience with Kotto,
CAR 2006

the bongo that damn near killed me

I can assure You that this illegal procedure wasn’t used.
Bongo is hunted from a machan close a saltlick. Bongo comes at nightfall or at night, leaving his stronghold, the bako (dense jungle) to have his dose of salt. More often is encountered a male bongo, his harem and youngs than a single male kicked out of his harem. One takes advantage of the moonlight to ascertain the trophy and to shoot. No light allowed, let alone laser and night goggles, strictly illegal and the contrary of fair chase. That’s why the booking is scheduled during the new moon phases. When full moon, the bongo is too shy to show up.
When a bongo is seen, one has to be extra-sure that it’s a male and a trophy male. The regulations prohibit taking any young or female game. Should You mess up, the penalties are stiff for You and the outfitter and the PH can have his permit confiscated.

Luc and poor Oumar, his PH who was shot by the Sudanese poachers and rebels

This type of procedure is the standard one and all the reputable outfitters in the CAR (Lemee, Laborde, Fusil, Laboureur, Bernon, Lemeau….) stick to this rule.
I don’t doubt that some less exposed outfits push their luck, lead by greed and to satisfy low end clients. In the same category of disputable bongo hunting is the use of dogs for 100% success rate, the cause of so many bongo females killed and the subsequent rarefaction of bongo.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbderunz,

I have not hunted Bongo with everyone in CAR and apparently you have not either.

I simply reported what I was told by a first hand witness and then verified that it is a common practise in CAR. I did not say it was universal.

Do not let these "ugly" facts in any way diminish your hunting memories. I do not let them diminish mine.

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Jb, that may be the most fantastic color I have ever seen on a Bongo, and look at those horns! I am always amazed at the beauty of these animals.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
jbderunz,

I have not hunted Bongo with everyone in CAR and apparently you have not either.

I simply reported what I was told by a first hand witness and then verified that it is a common practise in CAR. I did not say it was universal.

Do not let these "ugly" facts in any way diminish your hunting memories. I do not let them diminish mine.

SG
My PH, Herve Houdebine, explained me this trick. During my first safari in the CAR, a dedicated hunter was fed up with so many uncomfortable nights spent on the machan in vain. He was asking for bringing his night goggles, but the PHs strongly refused and he went back home without his bongo. The only time a male bongo appeared, he let out a cry when suddenly woke up by the PH and missed this unique opportunity. Jeeezzz how was he bitching about the rough manners of his PH. We suppose that the bongo that Luc shot was this very bongo.

In fact PHs are ever challenging each others and are prone to suspect others to use disgusting tricks. What's sure is that if a PH accepts once, he is compelled to use it again and again because hunters spread the trick and direct lousy ones towards this unscrupulous PH. Eventually, the PH is gaining a justified bad name.
Thus many young PHs refusing to bend any rule in order to stay clear from a descent into hell.
A high success rate is the ultimate aim of the outfitter, not necessarily the PH'S. Many PHs are sort of mercenaries, rent by outfitters. They can remain ethical and leave dubious outfitters. The demand of efficient PHs is higher than supply.
About keeping a dirty hunt secret, no chance. There is no such thing as "bush secret". Blacks will tell the story either the very evening at camp or bar, or when sacked will vent it to every body and the Game department. Depending on the country, the PH will be prosecuted or blackmailed.
SG keep alive fond memories as well, and good luck.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote