New
Find
Notify
Tools

A great new toy.
 Login/Join

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Well, I went and did it this afternoon. I've been looking for a new camera body to take along with me to Namibia in May. I bought the new Canon Digital Rebel XT: 8 mega pixels, 3 frames per second, and has a startup time of only 2/10 of a second. I also sprung for a 4 Gig memory card. I have several 35mm Canon lenses, including their wonderful 28-135 Image Stabilizer Lens, and the 75-300. Both lenses are compatible with the new digital body. I took close to 150 images, and printed them out on my HP Photosmart 2610, and let me tell you, if you're looking for a new full size digital camera, check this one out. It's not cheap, but it looks like it's worth every penny-$929.00 for the body and the "kit lens"- an 18-55mm EFS. The 4 gig card was around $200.00 additional.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
It's a great camera and truly a 35mm replacement... just remember take your photos as large as you can (raw). you can always down size or reduce quality later.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Damn Mike,

I hate it when my camera is becoming so quickly obsolete.

Sounds like a good deal and a great camera. The 4 Gb card sounds very cheap compared to local ones.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

This is why I just bought a manual film camera (Nikon FM3A). Sure, it is big and clunky but VERY sturdy and takes great photos! I just couldn't see spending the same money on a nice digital that will need to be replaced in only a few years as the electronics get unreliable or the technology becomes outdated....better to buy a set-up that is outdated to begin with but will work for decades. Smiler LONG LIVE FILM !

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by JohnTheGreek:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:

This is why I just bought a manual film camera (Nikon FM3A). Sure, it is big and clunky but VERY sturdy and takes great photos! I just couldn't see spending the same money on a nice digital that will need to be replaced in only a few years as the electronics get unreliable or the technology becomes outdated....better to buy a set-up that is outdated to begin with but will work for decades. Smiler LONG LIVE FILM !

Best,

JohnTheGreek

I finally switched to digital about a year ago, and I will never go back to film. Digital offers so much more, especially when it comes to printing, editing, storing, and sharing your shots. There's no comparison IMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for Nikon to catch up to Canon digital.

I've got a full Nikon system with four 2.8f fixed and telephoto lenses, filters and an F5 body. But I'm tired of film. Maybe it'll be the new D2Hs released today.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
I just couldn't see spending the same money on a nice digital that will need to be replaced in only a few years as the electronics get unreliable or the technology becomes outdated....better to buy a set-up that is outdated to begin with but will work for decades. Smiler LONG LIVE FILM !

John

Not outdated, it's classic thumb
All you need is plenty of film and a few button cell batteries. No need for any memory cards, battery chargers, image banks or lap tops sofa

Digital cameras is like remington extron Big Grin Razzer

Cheers beer
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Digital are ok but just not the equal of Chrome for quality of pictures..

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:

I agree with you about shooting chrome. Nothing beats slides for image brightness and lots of color IMO.But, for convenience, nothing beats digital. They've come a long way in a very short time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea Mike that is the bummer, my digital is only a couple of years old and seems to be an antique when I read about the new ones like you just purchased.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I gather the canon 1Ds mk II with the CMOS sensor is superb.. though I would still trust a manual SLR & chrome film when I am on a trek in the Himalayas..

lynx

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
All you need is plenty of film and a few button cell batteries. No need for any memory cards, battery chargers, image banks or lap tops sofa

Batteries?!?! Bite your tongue! Big Grin We don't need to stinkin' batteries! Big Grin

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Batteries?!?! Bite your tongue! Big Grin We don't need to stinkin' batteries! Big Grin

John,
Curious, how you get the exposure metering to work or maybe you use the SWAG method Big Grin Big Grin A few 3V lithium battery, 1.55V silver-oxide batteries will not be a great burden Razzer Roll Eyes

Soon you will trade the nikon for a box camera and plates jump

Cheers
/ JOHAN