THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "Government Fees" in South Africa: New Rule or Ripoff?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Government Fees" in South Africa: New Rule or Ripoff?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
I've just seen an item listed on a South African Hunting Outfitters' 2011 Pricelist web page under the heading Not Included an item called "Government fees (10% of hunt)"

I've never, in my 29 years as a Hunting Outfitter, heard of such a cost charged in South Africa. Now, I freely admit that I don't read every Government Gazette or daily newspaper, and that I'm not a member of PHASA, but I do regularly network with other HO’s and don’t know of any such announcement. Must be very new and unknown, or is it simply the HO's way of screwing his clients out of an extra 10%? Wonder if it appears on the Remuneration Agreement his clients sign before the onset of the hunt?

Has anyone ever paid such a charge after a South African hunt? Does any other of our AR member HO's know of such a charge?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not last April, anyway.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in South Africa all my life, never heard of a Government levy and never paid it. The following from the TOMSA website

"Essentially, TOMSA levy collection constitutes paying over 1% of each confirmed booking towards the TOMSA fund. Note that collection of the TOMSA levy is voluntary and the amounts paid do not constitute a tax to the business."

The above is the only levy that I'm aware of and I have only paid that at the larger hotels in SA, never at any hunting establishment that I have done business with. Admittedly I have not used very many outfitters, most of my hunting on referrals or long time acquaintances.

Don't get ripped off.

Posts: 12 | Location: Johannesburg | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Checked with PHASA they do not know anything about this fee at all.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
That is a rip off!! Madcan you tell what company this comes from ?

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never paid any government fees while in South Africa. This sounds like a rip off.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Yes, do tell who's trying to pull the rip off so I can add them to my do not use list.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
A quick Google of your noted text found this website: http://www.gothunts.com/south-...lains-game-packages/

This is a booking agency. Perhaps there are more than this one?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is the agents commission being added on ?

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't walk away from this, i'd run

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I just sent them an e-mail asking about this fee. I can't wait to hear their answer.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Yes, do tell who's trying to pull the rip off s
so I can add them to my do not use list.

Grumulkin,

I've sent you a PM!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well obviously this is not the VAT we have been paying on daily rates for years!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Andrew ,
Possibly there would be many doing this "rip -off " please pm me anyone you know of.
Thanks
Ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011