THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Ammo and gun questions relating to hunting Afr

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ammo and gun questions relating to hunting Afr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted
That sort of happened to me last April in RSA. I had a Winnie 70 in 22-250 AI and the ammo was in a plastic box. The barrel was stamped 22-250REM/AI and the brass was 22-250REM. The black woman that checked asked what the AI meant and why it wasn't on the brass, then asked why I was shooting Remington ammo in a Winchester. I told her AI was the initials of the gunsmith that built the gun and the 22-250 was invented by remmy and to further confuse her it fit in thousands of rifles. She just shook her head for a minute, then the guy that was in there with her said it was okay and she signed off. I'm guessing she was new and they had given her a crash course and threw her to us wolves.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I returned from German in 1994 the customs form had to accompany the gun in the same case. That ment I could not list all guns on a single form unless all the guns where in the same case. Therefore I filled out several forms so I would have no problems with customs on my return.

It is best to check with the customs office though because regulations do change.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

(1)I presume that bringing handloaded ammo into Africa not a problem?

#1 That is correct, sort of!(see question #2)

Quote:

(2)If I bring in 375 Whelen ammo and it's headstamped 30-06 will this present a problem?

#2 This isn't a problem "IF" you package your ammo in one of the smoky transparent ammo boxes sold by HDS. Then make yourself some lables on your computer stateing the caliber then run a layer of clear postal tape around the box, over the lable, sealing the box. They can count the rounds through the box, but can't read the headstamp, and they will not break the seal on the box. This satisfies two things the dumb law that says ammo must be in factory boxes, and avoids the confusion at the African customs.

Quote:

(3)I've read that I can bring in 11 pounds of ammo. How did this get determined? Seems rather strange to limit the quanity of ammo to a certain number of pounds, rather then a certain number of rounds

#3 This isn't determined by the airline, but by IOTA, and it is determined by weight, because it is listed by IOTA to be HAZZARDOUS GOODS,as Class-C explosives, and only so much weight of this commodity is allowed on a passenger aircraft. The weight limit is not per person, but the combined weight of the commodity on the aircraft. This is devided by the average number of passengers on such planes, who would be bringing ammo! This determines the average of total wt allowed, devided by the average amount of pasengers normally carrying ammo. In other words, beuracratic goble-de-goop! Top this off, with the fact that every country has their own formula! Just follow the rules, and don't worry about it!

Quote:

(4)What is meant by having my firearms registered here in the US before heading out to Africa?

#4 This is a form 4457 that lists your personal property, so you can bring it back into the country when you return, and is Free. Tkae your firearms to the Customs office, leave them in the locked car, go in the office ask to regester you property, and ask if they want you to bring them into the office. If you have a customs office that isn't at the airport, it would be best.

This form has become a "GUN PERMIT" to many of the African countries, and some now require it, thinking it is an American gun permit, because they have seen so many of them from Americans. Your guns are not regestered when you get this form, they are only listed on the form 4457 you take with you, but the key is the rubber stamp on the form, which indicates you left the country with them, so may bring them back. The fact that African countries see the USA customs stamp, gets you through their customs, is a side bennefite!

Quote:

(5)When I'm finished hunting do I need to account for the ammo? Can I give the brass and non fired ammo away? I'm guessing that somebody over there could use the brass and loaded rounds.

#5 In some countries, and with some customs agents, they will ask to see the ammo you are takeing back out of the country. You simply tell them you shot it all up! I came out of Zambia once, and the customs agent counted my ammo, and asked why I was takeing out emty brass. He was lost when I told him I reload them! Reloading, in Zambia, is illegal, and he wasn't aware it was possible to reload them.

Just follow the rules as stated by your outfitter, and the airline you will be flying on, and you will have no problem. The one thing you need to remember is, on arrival, have your passport, gun form, and the arrival form given you by the airline "IN HAND"! Don't dig it out of your carry-on, in the customs line.

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

What teh custom man did in Tanzania last year takes the cake.

On our way out, I had all my empty brass case in their plastic boxes, which where in turn in a lockable metal box.

He asked for the rifle box to be opened, and he check the serial numbers.

He then asked for the ammo box to be opened.

He took one box, and proceeded to pull each empty case, turn it mouth up, to look that it is empty. The cases fit rather tightly in the plastic boxes. After he was almost through looking at every case in one box, I mentioned to him that some bullets get stuck in the case, and are very hard to see. By this time Walter was ready to strangle me and the customs man.

He then continued to pull out and look at every empty case I had - about 7 boxes - making sure he turns each case upside down, and even shake some of them.

We used what was left of our ammo in a shooting contest with the camp staff. And was left of that some of the boys fired to rocks in the river.

When they fired the first shot, the game scout came running. Not knowing was going on.

Walter was doing his usual thing, screaming "Yes Alan, you got him. Boy that was a BIIIIG bull hippo. Pierre, how long before he comes up again?"

WE had to convince the game scout that we were shooting at rocks, and gave him a couple of rounds to shoot too.

One sure has to have a sense of humor in Africa

Posts: 66956 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
This brings back something I've been overthinking on lately. Here in the US the TSA won't let you lock checked luggage (you do lock luggage with guns in it) in case they need to search it.

What do they do when they find a locked metal box that the "sniffer" indicates contains gunpowder?

FWIW, I found a small tool box at Harbor Freight for $13.00 that dosen't lock but does close very securely and is just right for eight boxes of ammo. I can see where the airlines don't want loose rounds spilled into the luggage from broken boxes, hopefully this will suffice.

Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I landed in Tanzania last year, the custom man counted my ammo in 50 box...He said 9 rounds, I said no, 50 rounds, he said 9, I said 50, he said 9, I said 9, he said ok now go on....coming out I had 50 emptys, Customs guy counts them and says how many, I said 9 he said ok go on...

I got to the counter they said your overweight on luggage about 30 lbs in each suitcase (brochures) and that will cost you $300. or something like that, I said could I give you some money to buy your grandmother some tea, he said Oh, Yes about $30 would be nice,,,I said thank you and gave him an extra $10 for his trouble...As I was boarding the plane he hollered at me and ran up ( aw Sh-t ) then gave me my one and only receipt for a bribe...I thanked him and thought, only in Africa, I love that country, everything is so simple, polite, and easy to manipulate...

Maybe graft isn't bad as we think it is on this side, I have noticed it certainly works well in other countries! You know as Americans we can be bloody self rightous at times

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 11 lbs is a Delta rule. Maybe some others as well, but Delta is your major airline to RSA. That's plenty unless your name is Teddy Roosevelt, or unless you are planning to shoot birds. In that case, be sure to take a 12 ga and buy the ammo locally (or tell you PH ahead of time). 11lbs doesn't go very far on shotshells.

Speaking of Teddy Roosevelt, I have just finished his epic account of his big Africa expedition. He (or his son Kermit) seemed to shoot a rhino on every second page. There's a summary at the end, they shot 20 between them! And he came from the see-em shoot-em school, with lots of misses, woundings and follow-ups. He was quite the racist too, forever going on about white mans' country and savages of low culture. Quite an eye-opener, I must say.

Different countries have different limits on ammo importation. The tightest I have found is Botswana. They are paranoid about ammo...locals are kept on strict quota, no 22lr in the country at all, and handloading is illegal! I think their limit was 100 rounds total, but I can't remember. RSA and Zambia are pretty generous. The locals there love you if you shoot the same caliber they shoot, and accidentally leave you ammo behind!

I was once thrown off a Delta flight en route to Montana with almost 1500 rounds of 223 ammo and 100 rounds of 240 Wby. I then went to the Alaska Air counter and checked in, declared everything. The Delta busy-body came running over and engaged in a whispered conversation with the Alaska person. She, thankfully, told the Delta lady that her company allowed 50kg of ammo on the plane, even if it all belonged to one pax! This was the year after 9/11. This same experience taught me another thing. Handloaded ammo must be packed in proper boxes, ie rounds individually segregated. The more factory-like the appearance, the better. But plastic MTM boxes seem to work fine. If you put it all in a metal box so much the better, there is some wording about metal boxes in the regs and the airlines really like to see a metal box. I use a lockable ammo can, and put my ammo, bolt, binocs, knife, flashlight, and cleaning kit in there. I then put the whole thing in my duffel bag, harder to lose that way (and less obvious). And one last tip: there is a weight limit on each item of baggage, so try to balance it out. You can check two bags of 20kgs each, for example, but if you try to check one of 30 and one of 10 you might be hit for overweight baggage on the one item. One item can be a guncase containing up to three firearms but only in certain combinations. You can find these and other rules on the airline's website...it's worth checking to get the latest.

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote