Find
Notify
Tools

Big Nyala- Who, Where, When??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CLIFT
posted
I am planning a safari to RSA for Nyala, Kudu & Bushbuck. I need recommendations. Please advise.

Posts: 76 | Location: WAXAHACHIE, TEXAS | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend I have hunted with many times in Zlulu Natal. He is Mark DeWit and his email is marksafex@icon.co.za.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Another PH who can arrange this hunt (among many I might add) is one I have hunted with, Jan Dumon: mwshumba@mweb.co.za The kudu on my avatar was taken with him.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CLIFT,

I used Ann Horsman at aspenhill@triton.net who set me up with Mukiwas Safaris in the Limpopo area near Vivo. Highly recommended.

For more details you can read about the one she set me up with under Hunting Reports. I think it is back about page 7 by now. Rod at Mukiwa Safari has a special right now for 7 animals - 10 days. Ann would have the details.

Good Luck finding your hunt! Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WE went with Tollie's African Safari's and had a super time.

http://www.safari-in-africa.com/

My son took a 30" nyala. The rest of us shot 15 different critters. Go!!!!

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go & do it - nyala is one of the most beautiful animals anywhere. I'm not much help on where cause I took mine with trevor shaw in 1987.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend Dr. Mark Sutherland. His prices are cheaper then most you'll find because he does this as his hobby on the farm he owns and now lives on. Plus he and his neighbors just dropped all of their fences! he only allows a limited number of hunter per year to insure trophy quality. He has excellent nyala and red duiker. I saw several bushbucks while hunting the river edges. I wouldn't hesitate going back and hunting with Mark again and you couldn't go wrong.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Here are several animals taken from a hunting ara I use in Natal.

27" plus Nyala on the right, over 30" on the left and a 16" bushbuck

He has a very rustic tented camp that is quite nice. The place is thick with good nyala, some bieng exceptional. That one on the left is off the charts. Any Nyala over 30" is absolutely massive. To me that is much like a 70" kudu.

Email me at

jjhack@huntingadventures.net

I can get you in direct contact with the landowner so you can sort it out with him. I use that property but if your going to go there you can book with him direct without me involved. I went to school with this guy and he is one fo the best outdoorsman alive in Africa today

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJHACK:

Here are several animals taken from a hunting ara I use in Natal.

27" plus Nyala on the right, over 30" on the left and a 16" bushbuck

He has a very rustic tented camp that is quite nice. The place is thick with good nyala, some bieng exceptional. That one on the left is off the charts. Any Nyala over 30" is absolutely massive. To me that is much like a 70" kudu.

Email me at

jjhack@huntingadventures.net

I can get you in direct contact with the landowner so you can sort it out with him. I use that property but if your going to go there you can book with him direct without me involved. I went to school with this guy and he is one fo the best outdoorsman alive in Africa today

JJ and I are talking about the same person, in case you didn't know.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to JJ's introduction I'll be there in August! Believe I'll have the 350 Rigby No. 2 along -- with some solids, subject to legality of course Wink
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've also got some very good options for nyala. I posted in Mario's thread and here is my best nyala to date:

My next one will be with an arrow.

Nyala are pretty much my favorite spiral horn. What an elegant animal (though all of the spiral horns could be considered quite elegant!).

Nyala are a special animal, they are the most delicate of the sprial horns and subject to severe weather and environmental conditions. Their well developed fringes of hair are most impressive when they display. Almost too beautiful to be alive, they are a work of art.

I have some very good properties available.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote