Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of a hunter are you?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted
Hi there guys here is an interesting one for you.

I believe that one can have a very good hunt and learn a lot about the species that you are after if the ph you’re hunting with is open to walk and spend a bit of time on other matters than just shooting. It is up to the client as well you need to be open too this kind of hunting and allow for enough time when you book your hunt which can be difficult since a lot of people have a day job to think about.

So this is not about the minimum size of the property but more about how the hunt is conducted. One can never hunt 5 species in 5days and learn something from it except how to shoot. The real way to hunt in my opinion is on foot and sure in big areas you need to drive some distances and then start to track up the animal that you are focused on. However on smaller properties walk and stalk is a sure way to make a hunt very challenging. The problem is that a lot of times people have a time factor to consider and this is understandable.

Walk and stalk is where we get to learn the track of the animal, his habits and behavior. I feel it is important to understand the animal you are busy hunting because it leaves you with a certain appreciation and respect for your quarry. Sadly tracking itself is dying out very few people can still track game up on foot. I feel that this is one skill that hunters can’t do without and it is our responsibility to ensure that it is taught to future generations.

Driven hunts are a sensitive matter because if you see a good trophy whilst driving it is very difficult to pass it up and at the end of the day one must take the opportunities that come your way. Driving the whole day after game is not hunting and this really is in my opinion why people would think it is easy to hunt in fenced areas and the feeling of unfair chase arises, you never learn much except for how to aim and the tracks the truck leaves. A lot of times the animal stands in the road or in an open area when it is being shot how hard can that really be? When you walk and stalk it is one thing to see the animal but an entire different story to get in to a good position to have an open shot. When you drive you don’t worry about wind direction nor the element of surprise is it purely up to luck in my opinion don’t get me wrong we all need to get lucky every now and again.

Guys I think if we would get of the truck more we would not be all that worried about the size of the property but more about outsmarting the quarry.

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for getting off the truck and walking, much better experience and you also get lucky on foot sometimes

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the reluctance to get out of the truck comes more from the PH than from the hunter? It seems to me that it's in the interest of the PH to put a lot of animals on the ground quickly because of better revenue flow.

I heard one PH talk about how he had gotten a couple of clients 8 animals each in 5 days as if he deserved some type of award for his feat.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally for me Africian hunting is much different from the hunting I do here at home. I have a "small" 160 acre wood lot on which I hunt whitetails along with 4 or 5 friends and we do't get in each others way. In Africa you hunt such larger properties and the game travel in a much different maner. Maybe if I lived there and could hunt when ever I wanted my opinion would be different and maybe only walking would be the way to go, but for me the bakkie is the only way. Last month when I hunted Suni on some days we would drive an hour to get to the hunting area and drive into it for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and then get out and walk the 2 track for an hour or so, stopping to set up and call or just watch an area with good prospects.

I agree one can learn much about the game animials if they want to, it amazes me when talking to some people that have hunted Africa the small understanding they have about the quary.

I guess in the end we all use some tools to aid in our quest for the "trophy" so it appears one must choose their "tools" and others should (must) respect the other persons choice.

Down from the sopa box, but I may return,eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a greenhorn on this having only just returned from my first trip(hunting)to Africa. In no way am I being judgmental of anyone. Please bear that in mind as you read my post.

For me, the experience of Africa was, without a doubt, the most rewarding in both knowledge learned and self confidence and overall enjoyment from the walk and stalk rather than shooting from the back of a truck. Many of you with far more experience than I may feel differently about how the truck fits in.

There is a place for the truck for sure, Osa and her husband used them to get to their hunting areas, however; my dream, and again, it was only my dream, was to experience Africa in somewhat the same manner as Osa Johnson did, "On foot with Africa all around me". Her book at age 12 is what fired in me the dream of hunting Africa.

I had a very small taste of Africa and am now consumed with finding a way to make a “meal” of it.

When walking one tends to fit with the environment in a more personal way, for me this was an important part of my experiencing Africa. Hunting is a personal thing for me.

In Wisconsin, where I hunt, I enjoy more than anything, the tracking in the snow of one individual animal, coyote, deer, fox and even rabbits. If, and I say if, I am lucky enough to get within range and position for a valid shot I am doubly blessed. Having experienced the tingling of excitement in tracking, the stress in attempting to maintain quiet movement and the sense of competition with the animal is the first blessing.

Sorry for rambling here, still reliving and cataloguing my thoughts from my trip. I love to hunt and for me being on foot is the most enjoyable. Again, I am not judging anyone else, not at all, only trying to express in a poor way some of my feelings after my first hunt in Africa.

SFC E7 (retired)

Posts: 148 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a hunter who is INSPIRED BY NATURE.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Unless fitness levels,age etc factors limit one's mobility, stalking on foot is the best form of hunting,IMHO.Understanding game,tracking and field craft are the most essential components of hunting and real hunting is done that way.Again JMHO.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
; Spiral horn safaris
Hi there guys here is an interesting one for you.

I believe that one can have a very good hunt and learn a lot about the species that you are after if the ph you’re hunting with is open to walk and spend a bit of time on other matters than just shooting. It is up to the client as well you need to be open too this kind of hunting and allow for enough time when you book your hunt which can be difficult since a lot of people have a day job to think about.

This is very true! There are two things that hinders client hunters best possible safari in Africa, regardless of high fence or open concession! The first and foremost is time, and the cost of time on safari, and secondly the average age of client hunters today being in that area of 55-65 years of age. That age in conjunction with job that allows one to go on safari in the first place is usually a job that is not conducive to the best physical conditioning.

quote:
So this is not about the minimum size of the property but more about how the hunt is conducted. One can never hunt 5 species in 5days and learn something from it except how to shoot. The real way to hunt in my opinion is on foot and sure in big areas you need to drive some distances and then start to track up the animal that you are focused on. However on smaller properties walk and stalk is a sure way to make a hunt very challenging. The problem is that a lot of times people have a time factor to consider and this is understandable.

I have always hunted on foot no matter where I hunted. I have used hunting cars to get me from camp to tracks, or spotting animals and drive on by, and stalk back on them to look them over. That unfortunately is a necessity for most of us on safari, to drive the “two tracks” to cross spoor, or spotting animals to stalk. The daily fees are considerable in most places I’ve hunted in Africa, and require the most efficient use of time. NOW, I would dearly love be able to stay on safari 40 days to hunt just a couple of real desirable trophies, but unless I win the lottery that will never happen on retirement, or my age, of 73. In my younger days when I was in perfect health I would climb mountains with pack frame and rifle, and when it got dark I slept on the trail, and continued the next morning. Those days are over my friends. So some bakki is going to have to be involved.

quote:
Walk and stalk is where we get to learn the track of the animal, his habits and behavior. I feel it is important to understand the animal you are busy hunting because it leaves you with a certain appreciation and respect for your quarry. Sadly tracking itself is dying out very few people can still track game up on foot. I feel that this is one skill that hunters can’t do without and it is our responsibility to ensure that it is taught to future generations.

Tracking, and general knowledge of the habits of the game you are after is 90% of the best safari experience. But the other 10% is rarely mentioned on these threads, and that is moving among the camp staff, and trackers, getting to know folks that are so different to where you were born. Picking up some short phrases in native languages, and the nights around the campfires under the Southern Cross. The PH is the master of ceremonies here, and is the key to success or failure of the over all safari experience, but the client’s attitude is point as well. The PH can only bend over backwards so far, and some clients will try his patients to the limit. Many safaris are bad mouthed on forums like this one, when the bad experience was brought on by a spoiled rotten client.

quote:
Driven hunts are a sensitive matter because if you see a good trophy whilst driving it is very difficult to pass it up and at the end of the day one must take the opportunities that come your way. Driving the whole day after game is not hunting and this really is in my opinion why people would think it is easy to hunt in fenced areas and the feeling of unfair chase arises, you never learn much except for how to aim and the tracks the truck leaves. A lot of times the animal stands in the road or in an open area when it is being shot how hard can that really be? When you walk and stalk it is one thing to see the animal but an entire different story to get in to a good position to have an open shot. When you drive you don’t worry about wind direction nor the element of surprise is it purely up to luck in my opinion don’t get me wrong we all need to get lucky every now and again.

Simply because you see a fine trophy from the car, doesn’t mean you have to shoot him from the car or miss out on a good stalk. The thing is to drive on by till you are out of sight, step out of the car and let a driver drive on a couple of miles. Then stalk back to try to get a shot. This solves both time and quality of safari both!

quote:
Guys I think if we would get of the truck more we would not be all that worried about the size of the property but more about outsmarting the quarry.

The size, within reason is not a concern, as much as the wildness of the animals, and the bush conditions of the concession or high fence operation. Like everyone else, I love being on tracks, and that is why I book as many days as I can afford, but concentrate on my Buffalo/ Buffalos till he/they are in the salt, then what ever time is left, I may take a couple of other games as well. That is simply the way it is for many folks, who have to think of cost, and time away from job or home.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of hunter am I? Well in my mind I am the reincarnation of Dan'l Boone and Jim Bridger: in my PH's mind who the hell knows!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys wonderful posts very interesting.

Dagaboy 1 great description I understand your points in full.

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter's Wife-To-Be
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a place for the truck for sure, Osa and her husband used them to get to their hunting areas, however; my dream, and again, it was only my dream, was to experience Africa in somewhat the same manner as Osa Johnson did, "On foot with Africa all around me". Her book at age 12 is what fired in me the dream of hunting Africa.

I just finished this book after being encouraged to read it by my husband-to-be. I found it very inspirational and hope that I, too, am "marrying adventure." I will be going with him to Africa in July 2010 for the first time and am really looking forward to it.

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that there are some ladies out there you’ll love Africa I’m sure.

One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
The the wilder, bigger and more remote the area is the more I like it, and I definitely prefer walking and tracking the game, however as mentioned in previous threads - time is of the essence - as mentioned by one of the members, most hunters who have the financial means to go on safari to Africa, are not always in good physical health - and the majority of clients today will find it tough going to have to walk and track their game everyday - unfortunately we have to adapt to the clients capabilities.
Also most Outfitters main profits come trophy fees, so we as PH's are caught in a catch 22 situation - nothing in the salt = nothing in the bank - sad state of affairs - but hey thats the way it is.Everything in todays modern world is geared for instant results and gratification, and unfortunately this noble sport of hunting is being affected by our modern life styles and quick rewards.When I first started hunting - 21 day safaris were the norm - these days clients want to bag the Big 5 in 7 days - we have changed from being hunters to shooters !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a point there mark!

This is unfortunately the case that a 21 day hunt is a thing off the past for the most part I am afraid.

I wish we could go back to the old days and hunt for the experience and not just too bag the animal. Sure it is a priority to get your animal but certain small things like learning about the people is also of importance since it contributes to the whole experience of the hunt as Dagaboy 1 mentioned earlier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you can go for weeks and have no trophy fees to pay. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
For me the overall experience is the most important part. Even the time driving around to spot game is enjoyable. I guess I've been lucky in that whenever we've spotted game from the truck we've had to go stalk it, never had a time where the animals just posed for having a shot taken at them in the middle of the road.

For me the animals have either been far enough away that they didn't know the truck was there, or they ran off and we started tracking them. Either way foot stalks have been involved after getting out of the truck.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
To "Die Ou Jagter" - yup you are right - its those "pocket rockets" that are the most difficult to hunt - as you know the smaller they are the MORE difficult they are to hunt - helps to have a sense of humour when pursuing the little 'uns though - otherwise they can drive you crazy with frustration.
C U in Dallas !

Mark

Mark DeWet

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's just the spirit of the hunt that does it for me. No point in actually killing anything.

When I get done with spending heaps of money and time and not killing anything, I feel fulfilled just sitting around the campfire furthering global warming by filling the air with CO2, and having more than enough time to generate some self-doubt, self-loathing, and yes, even self-hate.

For no matter what I have done, it was never good enough to satisfy Mum back home, who considers everything cruel and inhumane. And that doesn't even include hunting.

Hunting? Dash it all. I came to Africa to piss and moan about everyone else not being as true blue as I, for others do not pursue the majestic animal barefoot as I have done since I was three years old, all the time regretting not having set up a national park for the kangaroo rat, and just regretting for having been born in the first place.

I am just so tormented by my very existence.

Mum, you are a bitch.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Geez Will,
You really are a crumudgeon animal
That's the funniest post I have ever seen on this forum.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I never have to post if Will gets there first !!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Pursuit is happiness.

--Ernest Hemingway

One feels inclined to say that the intention that man should be "happy" is not included in the plan of "Creation."

--Sigmund Freud

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The beauty of an African hunt to me is the time spent with the PH. I've had good luck with three PHs. I loved picking-their-brain, watching them work, listening to their thought process. My job was just to put the final period on their masterpiece in the shape of a 30 caliber hole in the animal we were pursuing.

I'm not an isn't-that-a-beautiful-sunset type hunter. I don't live for the sundowner at the end of a day. I don't step off the plane and wet myself because I'm in Africa. I've been a lot of places and seen a lot of things. The hunt turns me on; only the hunt.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco, I agree it is fun to pick your PH's brain but after hunting with him for soo many hunts the picking is slim. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha good jokes nice to see some humor around.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Ending any hunt in any way and feel good about it any way, doesn’t come per-se – set the stuff that will keep you going through the hunt wisely and win them all - don't expect - just hope.

Growing up without a pain? Utopia!

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I definitely prefer hunting on foot-- where possible. My son and I just came home from a short pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. Twenty sections of BLM land with no trees, much of it as flat as a table. In those circumstances you have to do some driving, just to spot game that isn't five miles off and which has spotted you first, but we then get out of the vehicle and stalk.
But my favorite hunting is archery hunting for elk. On a typical day we drive a few minutes from camp to where we are hunting, park the vehicle and then walk ten+ miles up- down- and sidehill at 9000-11,000 feet trying to get downwind and within 20 yards of an elk. It is physically demanding and it is in beautiful country. Once every few years we even kill something. Then we skin, cut, pack and hang the meat. When we get home we cut it up and freeze it, living off of it for the coming year.
I have been on two African hunts, one of which involved a fair amount of driving (my friend who came with was not in good shape and the PH's views on hunting on foot were dim, to say the least!) Two years ago I hunted with Vaughan Fulton in Namibia and we wore our boots down some. That was wonderful, and I would go every year for a month if I could afford it!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
We Ph's enjoy picking the clients brain as well - helps us understand what kind of a hunter he is - sure beats picking thorns out of his butt after a crawl or stalk !!

Mark

Mark DeWet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's one Mean Mutha Will!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote