New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX or TSX tipped?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will be doing a Nilgai hunt soon and wondered if there were opinions between the two bullets. I've not heard anything negative about either. Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
This is the wrong forum, but TSX will work wonderfully! I have no experience with the tipped.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Any of the TSX's will be devastating...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks, appreciate your info. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Smoker,

If you look at the cross section of the two bullets, the TSX is same HP profile as the Barnes X. Same depth and width of HP on most calibers.

the Tipped bullet is more of a V shaped internal HP behind the ballistic tip poly carbon tip.

It should expand more at long range and hold together better at close range than the TSX or X.

Have not tried it, so take w a grain of salt!

Have shot alot of X and TSX though.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully, I'll get to get some practical info. I'm using a 300 WSM w/tipped 180's, and my Son has a 300 WM, w/tsx, so given the approx. same speed, the creek don't rise and the God's are with us.

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot through everything I've hit with exact same combo, from whitetail to kudu.

Posts: 1469 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the tipped on plains game ranging from Steinbuck to Kudu and Zebra, at ranges from 30 yards to 400 yards, everything dropped within 10 feet.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a Nilgai, but I now use Barnes exclusively for deer in all calibers. TSX/TTSX makes no difference. I fine more than enough penetration and tissue damage with even 85 grain TSXs for deer of any size. I wouldn't hesitate to take any moose with 130s in 30 caliber guns, and would be be expecting to recover a 130 out of a moose. I would think a 130 out of a 300 WM or WSM would be moving at 3400-3500 and hit like a lightning bolt. I know 150s at 3200 work. 180s on <500 lb animals just seems like a little much. based on my use of Barnes bullets.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The felling I get from the guides I've contacted is that the 300 mag. might be a little light. They say these animals have a very thick hide and suggested the Branes over accubond. Nilgai can go from 500 to well over 1000 lb's. Don't know, seen pictures....look pretty damn big to me. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson