Notify
Tools

How Many Miles Per Day?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hey guys,

For the experienced guides & ele hunters out there. How far do you think you walk on an average days Ele hunting. does this differ if you are hunting trophy bull of PAC animal?

My feeling is that PAC would be shorter given you are supposed to be protecting village crops etc, and there are no trophy criteria to meet.

Out of curiopsity how does this compare to Buff hunting in miles covered to achieve the objective?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
faloowbuck ,
a lot depends on the area you are hunting and frankly your physical fitness ,
bots elephant
more drive and stalk than tracking , expect to walk a couple of kilometres per day following bulls from the vehicle

zim elephant
mainly tracking , on average expect to be on foot about 4 to 6 hours a day ... in the extreme can be up to 8 or 9 ...some days i will do as much as 25 k , most days are about 10.

pac elephant
depends on the area , more driving around the fields following fraustrating misinformation about the elephants ...if you are in an area where you are allowed to track from the fields , you can walk for a few hours a day , in areas where you must shoot in the fields , not much more than 5 k per day .this would be walking between fields and following up on reports.

hope that this helps

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As Ivan quite rightly says, it depends on where and I'll add when and also lady luck.

In Tanzania (for both species mentioned) I've had walks of a few minutes to anything up to 10 hours.

Mind you, it's a bugger when you walk that far and then don't get a shot for some reason. Roll Eyes - That's when you mutter, 'Thank God for two way radios!' Wink