New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad News in Uganda
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With things going so well lately in Uganda we did not need this..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"traveling with the group near the border with Democratic Republic of Congo".

What better choice!

Kidnappings along the DRC border are as common as cups and saucers in a coffee shop. It wasn't smart to get that close and I somehow do not believe she was not forewarned.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The northern rim of Uganda...has always been a safety concern. The Karamojong themselves posed a very slight risk when every one you saw in the bush was carrying an AK.

Then from northern Kenya, through south Sudan, to the DRC...some bad folks inhabit those areas and raid into Uganda frequently.

Right after my hunt there...a friend was hunting northern Karamoja in 2010...they got into a little dust-up between the Ugandan army and some group out of either south Sudan or northwestern Kenya and took some close mortar fire. They had to take cover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looked pretty calm when I was there just a month ago.

Lots of criminal activity on the other side of the border in DRC per the locals. To be honest, 2 old folks getting away and the police stating they think they are still there and leaving a car behind... let’s wait and see what comes of this. Sounds a little odd to me.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Sounds very odd to me as well. I worked for a company that specialized in personnel recovery. My experiences were that the only confirmed truth in most initial reports is "something happened"; and most kidnappings are not.

Regardless, I hope no one is injured or in danger in this situation.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will be a growing problem in the future. A good reason to plan ahead with country sitreps from outfits like Global Rescue, and maybe the services of a kidnap insurance firm - Global is affordable enough, don't know about the others.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uganda is on my short list. There's always going to be issues, but it sounds like this was a photo group. Much more likely targets.

Insurance law is my thing and there is kidnap insurance, but you probably don't want to advertise that you have it. Companies buy it for employees and don't even tell their employees, for rather obvious reasons.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the last report, they went out without the parks ranger that is required... This is looking a bit more hinky.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Global Rescue is reporting on it...thus must be something to it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37820 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was in that very park. Very safe. We had rangers. No issues. I suspect there is lot more to this story.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect there is lot more to this story.

The "kidnap victim" is an animal rights activist.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"animal rights activist" ????? perhaps we can fund a "keep him" campaign.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KAMPALA (Reuters) - An American tourist who was kidnapped alongside her driver in a national park in southwestern Uganda has been rescued unharmed, the Ugandan military told Reuters on Sunday.

Posts: 2037 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
KAMPALA (Reuters) - An American tourist who was kidnapped alongside her driver in a national park in southwestern Uganda has been rescued unharmed, the Ugandan military told Reuters on Sunday.

Other stories are saying the ransom was paid...who knows at this point.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The best rescue is an Entebbe rescue. Haven’t had one of those in a while. Need some.

Makes me want an M4 as my second rifle.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
CNN—Abducted American freed: (note source—take with a grain of salt)

Kimberly Sue Endicott is free this morning, after her dream trip to Uganda turned into a nightmare. Endicott and a guide were kidnapped by gunmen last week while they were on an excursion to see gorillas at a Ugandan national park. The armed gang demanded a ransom of $500,000, Ugandan police said. Security forces rescued Endicott and the guide, who were both unharmed, yesterday in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo. A ransom was paid to free them, a source told CNN.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Security forces rescued Endicott and the guide, who were both unharmed, yesterday in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo. A ransom was paid to free them, a source told CNN.

They can't have it both ways...ransom and rescue.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Security forces rescued Endicott and the guide, who were both unharmed, yesterday in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo. A ransom was paid to free them, a source told CNN.

They can't have it both ways...ransom and rescue.

It's CNN,........they can try.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's CNN,........they can try.

lol

I believe a ransom was paid though the police officer who reported the incident was very unhappy with that as now it will encourage more kidnappings of tourists. Apparently park tourism is a significant source of income for Ugandans. I suspect they will go hard to nip this in the bud ASAP.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote