New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm off...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I leave tommorow for Zim. I'll hunt for sixteen days with Richard Tabor of Roger Whittall Safaris in Chewore, then hunt with Buzz Charlton for ten days in Chete and then rejoin Richard for five days or so at Humani in the Save Conservancy.The screwy schedule is the result of my putting off a decision that needed to be made more quickly.

In Chewore Richard and I will target an elephant bull, two tuskless, a buff and a leopard.

In Chete Buzz and I will target three tuskless.

At Humani Richard and I will target two tuskless, an nyala, maybe a bushbuck and continue the leopard effort if needed.

I've had a business issue come up and will need to take an international cell phone and a satelite phone, which is unfortunate. Still, it beats having to pull the plug on my trip, which is how it was looking only Thursday. Hope I don't have to cut my trip short.

Suspended my "elephant tracking fitness program" two weeks ago to concentrate on settleing the business issue, which settled Friday night. I finished clearing my desk midnight last night and I'm beat. Put on seven or eight pounds in the last couple of weeks.

Weighed out my ammo and 5 kilos is sufficient, thankfully. Need to stop procrastinating and get to packing.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have a terrific time!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JPK, have a terrific time..Just think of the short time between hunts...Sure beats the fly over.. Big Grin

Make the shot!!!

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK,
Whatever hell you went through to clear the deck was surely worth it to earn you the month ahead. thumb

Fantastic plans, that will allow you to die happy trying or return triumphant no matter what the bag if you stay the course.

Bully good show. Good luck to you. clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great month in the bush! Best of luck. And if you need a stand-in for one of the legs of the hunt, I am sure you will get a lot of takers here on AR!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.
What days will you be in the SAVE?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I've packed everything except the phones, which are charging, and my rifles.

I'm taking over some stuff for people and I'll definitely get tagged for overweight baggage. Might have avoided it if I had time to winnow stuff out. I think I'm going to have to go over with an incredibly heavy duffel, my rifle case and an additional package. Anyone know if this is a problem that paying extra baggage can't fix?

Remembered at the last moment that I hadn't cycled some 375H&H solids through my bolt and went and did it. Good thing too since five were too long to cycle out, catching on the front ring. Had plenty around and found replacements. Hope they don't try to make me stick to weighing my ammo in the boxes, it goes 11lb 10oz in boxes, right at 11lbs without the boxes.

450 NE No2,

If I make it all three legs without my legs falling apart or needing to come back due to the business issue, I'll probably be at Humani Oct 11 through 16, plus or minus a day. This part of the hunt is going to be catch as catch can and the oportunity only reared up about two weeks ago. My tickets still have me returning on Oct 12th.

This is going to be the hunt of a lifetime for me and I'll have a couple of years of all work, no play, when I return, so I really hope it goes well and I can make the distance. Wish I'd been able to keep the walking up.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good luck JPK. By the way, Murphy is always finding ways to screw anything good up, but fortunately (and hopefully) you can handle it with a telephone call or two.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck. I had to back off on exercise for about two weeks before my hunt, but had no problems. Take some Arnica Gel for sore muscles. Once again, good luck. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK again good luck.
I arrive in Harare about the time you will be leaving.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt JPK.
This safari sounds great, hope work does not alter your plans.
Regards,
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote