New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used binoculars for Africa
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
For the last year, I've been trying to decide on a set of shorter, lighter, more compact binoculars for Africa that can be carried diagonally across the body.

Since I didn't want to pay the devalued-dollar, current price of my first-choice Leica Ultravid 8X32s, I decided to look for good set of used binoculars. I found a used set of mint Zeiss 8X30s, the green-armor, individual eye-focus version. These are surprisingly great binoculars, and I bought them for a very favorable price.

The only problem is, the strap/eyeguard assembly really isn't the best, and it's just too much of a good thing. So I came up with a plain cordura camera strap with no padding, strung it through the top rainguard and binocular, adjusted for a perfect fit, trimmed the strap, then -- to avoid buckles -- I pop-rivited the strap together on each side just below the rainguard.

The whole assembly slides easily into position, the rainguard is a snap to move out of the way, and this is the most practical diagonal-carry binocular setup I've ever used, plus it's SIMPLE. There's no emcumbering harness setup to fight, no sticky padding to impede function, and nothing to come loose. I found a leather Zeiss case for that was originally made for 10X40s that's perfect for transport, and the whole package is very compact. It fits these 8X30s perfectly.

Quality used binos can be a great way to go.....

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn allen, sounds as if your being Cheap. clap
I do understand your side of things, just hard to lay out that 1200 to 1500 for new optic's. I had a pair of the 8X30's but sold them and then picked up a pair of the 8X20B's which are really cool, so much so that the household warden decided she needed them worse than I did. Sonow I am back in the market for another small set of good optic's.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
I carry a set of the 8x30 Zeiss also. Mine have a simple green neoprene Vero Vellini strap that I think is perfect. I never liked the Zeiss factory set up either. They are great binos, in fact they may be the perfect binocular, especially if you do a lot of walking.
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I'm with you alan... too many good used items out there to pay retail (unless you're in a time-crunch).

I find that if I'm patient and keep my eyes open there are lots of "deals" in good, used merchandise.

I recently traded for a used remington in 300 ultra-mag (unfired). Wasn't my first choice in makes, but it was a Rem Custom shop gun (@1300 retail) and when all was said and done, I had exactly $100.00 in it! thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 8x30 Leicas on AR, I have a 1" canvas webbing strap on them that I made, they hang across my body and under my left arm, non adjustable strap attaches with D rings and cheap plastic bridle hooks...I like this set up and I love the 8x30 Leicas....Like you can't stand those ridiculas harnesses that cling to your body, tried them for about two hours and shucked them and went back to cross body carry.

I also used a camera strap with padding for them but have about settled on the canvas web strap for everything...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After busting Ray's chops about an across the body carry, I decided to see if I could improve the matter myself and design my own strap. So $3.00 worth of nylon webbing, some borrowed hardware, and my Mom and her sewing machine later, I think I've come up with something very serviceable. I like it. Notice how the strap is turned to allow the strap to lay flat against the body.

Ya know Allen, if you want things done right, do it yourself. Smiler

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Purple???? Wink

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The half inch webbing came in two colors. The other alternative was pink. eek2

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
roflmao

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purple????

my thoughts also Terry bewildered

Sorry Chuck, just couldn't pass up the chance.

Does look very good though

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up my Swarovski 8X30's used for 500 dollars, used optics can be a great deal. You can visually inspect the lenses and overall body condition and most high end makers will fix them for free if there is an issue.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I normally use a 8x32 Hensold bino. Hensold is the Zeiss owned company that produce military optics. Fixed focus and individual focus regulation You can see it on the follwing photo

I'd payd it 300 dollars, some years ago, absolutely new, still sealed in an allumined plastic cover.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Chuck, that's a cool strap. I like it!

Jimmy, sometimes being cheap is the best way to go!

Steve, that Hensoldt is a smart-looking glass that looks perfect for Africa...........

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
Purple is great no one would steal them.

If its stupid and works it is not stupid that goes for looks to good job man.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my cotton webbing is white, now turned the color of dirt, but I won't get hit on by the girly boys as many times as Chuck does, but then it may not be the straps, it just may be I ain't as purty!! jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote