Notify
Tools

Angola- Sable
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Saw this fellow at the Field Museum....

He was very impressive. It was listed as a giant sable. I could not find anything stating the horn measurements.

Well worth photographing though, even though it is an old and faded mount.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow! The taxidermist certainly did full justice to a phenomenal animal. Super Pics. Thank You, Ann.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the odds of anyone being able to legally hunt these beautiful animals anytime soon?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probaly zero to zero for the next 20-25 years if ever

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about hunting in Angola in general. Any chance that will open up soon?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I've asked this question to two Namibian PHs who feel that it is doubtful like AfricanHunter has said. Primary reason being land mines. Seems like there was also uncertainty about some lingering civil unrest as well in some of the remote areas, but I'm sure about that.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A friend & neighbour of mine was part of a team that went up to search for the Giant Sable a couple of years ago. They located two good sized herds and have now organised a special team of rangers to monitor them. Finances are tight as they always are in Africa but things are looking good for the species. It's hoped they'll allow one or two old bulls to be hunted within the next few years or so - my guess is that it'll be closer to 10 years if all goes well..... However, it'll be a tough hunt as it's a bit of a mission to get a person into the area let alone supplies and I'll be it'll cost a bundle.....

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
ALF, at least one photo of a small group of cows (taken by some kind of automatic camera set up) was published last year.

Another great photo, Ann. Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alf,

I posted a few pics taken with a trail camera by my neighbour Dr Jeremy Anderson a year or so ago...... If I remember correctly, on both this and the NE site.

Here's one of them again. If I remember correctly, one herd was estimated at 100+ and the other around 50.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Alf,

I have absolutely no doubt in my my mind that Jeremy Anderson went up there as part of the sponsored mission and no doubt in my mind that if he says he found giant Sable then he did.. I'd be happy to let you have his e-mail address by PM if you'd like to verify it. Wink

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
http://www.kissama.org/giant_sable_report.htm

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-15-2006-89066.asp

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2005/april/sableantelope.htm

The last attempt has been reported in the European Journal of Wildlife Research. Where genetic evidence was verified by Pitra, C., VazPinto, P., O´Keeffe, B.W.J., Willows-Munro, S., Jansen van Vuuren, B ., Robinson, T.J.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Tending to be a sceptic myself I am yet to be 100% convinced one way or the other. I have seen all the still hidden camera shots which are now common knowledge within the industry and from what I read it seems that MONEY is the problem to get the next expedition funded.

Being of sound logical thinking if (as it seems from reports) there are small herds of some breed of sable in the region, I would have thought (rightly or wrongly) that SCI being the formost and largest wildlife conservation body on earth that they would by now have sorted out and possibly even funded a team of wildlife adventurers to make another trip armed with movie camaras bushmen trackers and whomever else they deemed fit to make a confirmed legally documented find and present it to the world. SCI are not short on finances as they spends hundred of thousands on lawsuits and they have very very rich men on their books so to speak so it would not IMHO take a rocket scientist to arrange the visit !!!

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a recent hard bound book out, called, I believe, IN SEARCH OF THE GIANT SABLE. The author seemed to believe that they exist as a separate sub-species. But genetic testing of all specimens from different museums, seem to indicate that there is no genetic difference. That being said, the author maintains that the white check stripes are different and of course the horns are larger.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote