Notify
Tools

A Bit of Shade
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
Decisions... Decisions...
Imagine you are a South African bush pilot working for Blue Sky Aviation. You fly in some critical medical supplies, enjoy a quick lunch at the hospital. It's a stifling 100 degrees in the shade and you're eager to get back up to the cool, high blue yonder.

On the way back to your plane, you discover that the only bit of shade within 1 mile has become very popular . . You start calculating the distance to the plane door and wonder . "Do I feel lucky today?"

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart: Is this pic for real? Looks real enough to be real scary!

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't no way I'd approach that airplane, unless some very angry Somalis were coming down the road in their technicals. And I still would rather take a bullet than be shredded.

This photo has been circulating among aviation types for at least a year or so.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guessing average with internet photos is usually pretty good (unless there is a moose in the picture).

I think this one is real.

It's not like you could chase these felines away with a water hose...........

It does give one pause to reconsider how tight their traveling schedule is on this given day....

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Tarzan would just run across their backs....

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8048 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey, just have your hunting partner distract them and then you just run for the plane!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have the first officer dancingapproach, cautiously, from the left side. That's where the entry is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I call Photoshop. The lions mysteriously have no shadows. Neat picture though.

Time is but the stream I go a'fishing on

Posts: 54 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seen this beofre. Strip is in the Mara in kenya. No shadow at 12 noon Wink

You just drive up to the plane, chase the lions away with the cruiser and hop in.

You don't want to leave your plane unattended overnight in a bush strip. Hyenas have been known to chew on the tyres and other "intereting" parts of the aircraft rendering it unoperative.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote