New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's best for 300WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would like opinions and information as to what you think would be the best load, bullet configuration for Leopard over bait. As this is a fairly fast round and the distance will most likely be short (50 - 100 yards) I would suspect, so bullet performance is key. Don't want to blow the offside to oblivion, but do need some expansion to assure a quick, clean kill. Also any recommendations on scope power and objective size would be helpful as well. I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5 X 14 X 42, Zeiss Davari 3 X 9 X 40 and a Leupold 1.75 X 6 X 32 that could be made available for this set up. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 180gr. Swift A-Frame ought to do the trick.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I would shoot a 200 gr round nose will slam him and open up to no more then 375 cal on exiting...Will really knoc the gas out of him..Flattened my cat at 40yds.with a 300gr 375 round nose... As for a scope the larger bell for light gathering..I used a VariXIII illuminated with German 4 config with a 50mm bell 3.5/ 10X...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I used a 180gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet in Federal factory ammo in my 300WSM for mule deer hunting this fall. I used it as a test round for a planned Plains Game safari to Africa next summer.

I took a mulie with this round with a head on shot. The bullet entered at the base of the throat, angled upward through the thorax region and exited through the back, just behind the shoulder blades. The wound channel was straight and consistent in diameter. The exit wound, while larger than calibre diameter, was not especially dramatic. The buck was at a GPSed 135 m when I shot. My partner, who was spotting for me said the buck went back on his haunches at the shot, and fell over on his side. When I reacquired the target after the shot, all I saw was four legs sticking up in the air!

I will take this ammo to Africa with me for plains game, and will use it with confidence. I do not plan on hunting leopard, but I would not hestitate to use it if I was.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend either the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, the Swift A Frame, or the North Fork, ie a bonded bullet that will not fragement and tear up the hide yet make a big muchroom.

I tried to use a 308 WCF with 165gr Trophy Bonded [factory Federal] on my leopard but did not shoot one. Frowner

The 165 TB did a great job on my heyena and on my wifes zebra and wildebeest.

If I was not so lazy I would handload North Fork bullets.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a Nosler Partition let me down.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh round nose or the 180 grain H-Mantle.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I used 180 grain factory loaded trophy bonded bear claws for several species of plains game back in 2004 and was pleased with the bullet's (and gun/caliber) performance. All one shot kills with no animal going more than 20 yards. Also, exit wound was not bad. One other consideration might be triple shocks. I used them on 3 whitetails this season and was happy with them as well. Equally important is finding the premium bullet that your rifle likes best!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done two trips in the last 3 years to South Africa and have shot winchester 180 gr fail safes out of my browning A-bolt in .300 wsm.

I have been fortunate enough to take gemsbok, wildebeest, nyala, impala, wart hog, steenbok and a few other animals with the bullet. I was able to make one shot on every animal and furthest anyone went was 40 yds with enough blood for Stevie Wonder to follow.

My buddy who hunted with me this past summer used the same bullet in his 30/06 and used it on kudu, zebra, gemsbok, and nyala.

Just my 2 cents.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot over 30+ plains game with the .300 WSM using both TBBC's and Fail Safes, all in 180 grains. Have had absolutely no problems with either bullet on African game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I think changing loads for leopard is a mistake. Use the same load for leoaprd that you use for plains game and avoid any possibility of a mix up of loads or changing POI. As suggested before a Nosler Partition would be my choice as you would get rapid initial expansion for a quick kill but deep penetration for heavy plains game. Any of the premium bullets will work fine if you hit the leopard correctly. They don't require a special bullet.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I think changing loads for leopard is a mistake. Use the same load for leoaprd that you use for plains game and avoid any possibility of a mix up of loads or changing POI. As suggested before a Nosler Partition would be my choice as you would get rapid initial expansion for a quick kill but deep penetration for heavy plains game. Any of the premium bullets will work fine if you hit the leopard correctly. They don't require a special bullet.

Mark

I would wholeheartedly agree. I would add that you should use any premium bullet that your rifle likes. If it groups well with Nosler Partions, shoot them. If it groups Speer Grand Slams, use them. The only "premium" bullet, I would avoid is the Hornady Interbond.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 180 grain Partition would be almost perfect.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's best for 300WSM..

Putting it in a trash can Wink

I think the Accubonds would be superb. I killed all my plains game with them, didn't mess up the off side of the cape that bad. (180 grain) It should work well for Mr. Spots.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a FAQ ...

... A 180gr to 200gr premium bullet will reliably kill anything up to and including Lord Derby Eland and the Brown bears given proper shot placement. I agree with Mark Young's advice. Use the same bullet if you are hunting plains game, too.

... Arguably the best choices in premium bullets today are Barnes MRX, Barnes TSX, GS Custom, Hornady Interbond, Northfork, Nosler Partition, Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Swift A-Frame.

But, in deference to your question concerning off-side hide damage, that will depend on how close you are to your kill. A .300WSM moving at 2950fps+ muzzle velocities can do a lot of damage on the exit side. At 100 yards, they're all still doing 2750fps+. Hit bone, and bullet tumbling and schrapnel results. That tears a lot of flesh along with it. The question then becomes which bullet design has the most weight retention upon expansion?

I would choose your Zeiss Diavari 3x9x40mm and set it at 3x.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Why not get two loads one for normal hunting and the other for the leopard, a slower load with a cheaper bullet that expands easily and with the slower speed you won't need to worry about the exit hole.

For example a 180 gr hornady interbond at 2500 fps and make sure that you get the almost same point of impact at 50 meters. As with your faster normal load loaded with premium bullets.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari-hunt That was my original thoughts on the matter and don't see much of a chance of getting ammo mixed up as would be hunting plains game during the day, then move to the Leopard blind in the evenings. I thought about using two different scopes as well, since I'll have a backup along anyway. Have one scope for plains game and the other for leopard with each one zeroed for their own load. Or I could take two rifle/scope combos as well. Oh the trials and tribulations of hunt planning!! Thanks again for all who have contributed and have a Happy Holiday Season.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote