Find
Notify
Tools

Lake Kariba in early March
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I'm going to be spending some time on Lake Kariba at the Sijarira Lodge early in March of 2006 (after a P.A.C. elephant hunt... and maybe a buffalo). I've been to the camp (and took an elephant near there) last year and I know how beautiful and comfortable it is... but my question is:

How's the fishing for tigers and perch then? Also, what type lures would be best for both spinners and flyfishing for both species?

Now, keeping this tread on topic, has anyone mixed a hunting safari and fishing in the area? I can think of no finer option of deciding whether to pick up a double rifle or a flyrod, first thing in the morning!

Before anyone comments on how much cheaper the fishing is than DG hunting, I've got a minimum of days for hunting to pay, regardless of how early success comes... and the rest, regardless of how interspersed, I'll pay the fishing rate... for instance, i.e., $1 for x days of DG regardless if I "use" them or not.. and $.20 @ day for fishing for all days in excess of "x".... Did that make any sense?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

My understanding was that tigers are really not viable until Sept.-Oct. That is when we fished and it was very good. Bream fishing is best earlier but I forget when.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In March the fishing is still pretty good for tiger and the bream is also good. No perch or pike in Kariba.

With the inflow of dirty water into the top of the lake, spinners often prove most effective. Scott Guthrie is running Sij for HHK at the moment and he is a keen fisherman. Pitty his wife always catches three to his one Big Grin, so proably email Carro, via hhk and ask about the right kit

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge G
I will be somewhere near Lake Kariba in March when I hunt croc, hippo, and cow elephants.

We will talk in Dallas and see if we will be close enough for a visit.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
last year all the tigers wanted was white spinnerbaits. That was in ghona though. the catfish hit on a piece of meat, didn't fish for bream.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,I fished and hunted there in July'98.The Tigers were not biting then as water temp was too low.Caught a ton of Tilapia tho.
Were Richard and his charming wife still managing when you were there last?
Wish I was going with you.
Sam

one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

I was at Sijaria in July of this year.
The Tiger and Bream were biting then.
We caught Bream and used the small ones to troll with. I have attached a photo of the last evening we fished.

James[URL=[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=335047&c=531&z=1"] [/url]][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=335047&c=531&z=1"] [/url][/URL]

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote