Tools

Differences in 416's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
Ok so I am new to the big big bores

and heres my question

I have seen a 416 rigby, 416 remington and 416 weatherby (i think)

questions are as follows

1. which is the most popular and used the most in africa, which has the most factory ammo loadings etc, which is easiest to re load

2. personal preference, which one do you like and why

3. how old is each one

thanks gents!

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although the rigby is the oldest, I think (sometimes not my strong point) that the remingtonis more common. My preference is for none of the above. I like the 416 dakota.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Cold,

I'm a Remington fan, I've shot the Model 700 for about 6 years now. I'm 100% happy with it, took some very good critters with it, I really don't see me changing. I have quite a few Remingtons in my gun case, including shotguns.

And I do agree, Remington is more popular.

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Cold,

I just bought a 416 Rigby. From a ballistics perspective (which I am certainly not an expert), I dont think you will a a dramatic amount of difference. Given the Rigby's age and origin, I think it is the most popular in Africa closely followed by the 416 Remington. Factory ammo for all is available, but the Ribgy ammo is quite a bit more expensive.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold,
I got my .416 Rigby a year ago and I�m very satisfied. Recoil is managable, low pressure cartridge and if you handload it�s as expensive as the others.

One important point in choosing the Rigby was nostalgia -it was designed for African hunting.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I chose the Rigby, CZ's are good bang for the buck, and the only difference in cost from a loading stand point is the brass and maybe dies, but Rigby brass can be loaded quite a few time. A 416 bullet is going to cost the same do matter what you shoot it our of.

Just depends on what you want and maybe what type of rifle you like, provied you are not going to build a custom.

I would lay 630 bucks down and get a CZ in 416, buy some Norma brass and dies and shoot it and see if you like it, no more than you'll have in it if you don't like it you can flip it pretty easy.

Just depends on what your drivers are, money, cool factor, etc., they pretty much all do the same thing.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having had the Rigby since '73 when Tom Burgess barrelled it up for me I cannot think of one reason to change.
The original.
Nostalgia.
It's done the job for near on 95 years in Africa.
You can "soup" it up if you want to do so.
Low pressure factory cartridge as loaded.
Bullets cost the same.
Cases seem to last forever at factory levels.
Easy to load.
Just cannot get excited by all the other .416 cases of one name or another.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The .416 Rem. is probably the most popular due to the fact it will fit in more aactions than the Rigby. The Rigby is older than all three. The Wby. is the newest & fastest (the Wby. is basically a Rigbly w/ a belt).
Remington cases can be made from .375H&H in a pinch. Rigby cases are unique. They are all good carts. for Africa & DG. I like my .404 Jeffery though , it's kind of in between a Rem. & a Rigby in perf. & fits nicely in a M70 type action.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are certain all great calibers...

I personally like the 416 Rem. because it makes up into a more compact and lighter rifle, components are less expensive and it works as well as the others...and last but not least I usually get an extra round or two into the magazine, depending on the action..

If I have an action large enough for a 416 Rigby, then I would rather have a 450 or 500 something, at least thats my thinking.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll take magazine capacity over nostaglia every time.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw once on the ruger sight the 416 taylor listed as a cratridge that they have chambered for, does anybody know if they really produced a rifle at one time in the wildcat? just curious.

AfricanHunter, what is your 416 Rigby built on?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote