Find
Notify
Tools

The New Dangerous Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted
On our recent Namibian hunt we had what can only be described as a unique experience. We were sneaking in on a herd of Hartman's Zebra and when we got to about 300 yards, the stallion launched a full on charge and I ended up shooting him square in the chest at 30 yards. I can only assume he though we were lions as they'd taken zebra in the area recently. We all had a pretty good laugh about it anyhow. Hunt long enough and you'll see everything.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I was squatting in hawthorns, I grunted and here comes big 4x4 whitey coming straight at me
Killed him at 12 feet.
Oops

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
geez from the title i thought this thread was about airines

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or hunting in West Africa with Boko Harum and eboli!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Or hunting in West Africa with Boko Harum and eboli!

True

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was at the gate of one of my deer leases waiting for an AC guy to show up . I looked up and a doe ran out of the woods and came straight down the fence toward me. I grabbed a rifle and hammered it. It couldn't have been 10 yards. The funny thing was the AC guy drove up seconds after I shot. I was still holding the rifle. If you could have seen the look on his face.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I can't imagine a zebra stallion charging lions; that would be suicide when retreating at that distance would be in order. However, on one of the nature shows they did show a stallion charging into a pack of hyenas that had caught one of his pregnant mares. The mare was freed but as the stallion tried to escape with her one of the hyenas got ahold of the stallions testicles and he was brought to a stop where they quickly took him down.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 376 steyr:
Wow! I can't imagine a zebra stallion charging lions; that would be suicide when retreating at that distance

In some cases no doubt

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting - one of the most serious charges I have experienced was from a wounded wild, dying horse (culling). He was intent. Lucky I had one bullet left.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I went to the pool here in our own house. There is some grass on one side of the pool and some bushes.

I saw a cat stalking some francolins with chicks. I picked up a small stone and threw it at the cat.

The cat did no budge at all.

I walked towards it, as I got to about 5 yards, the bloody thing launched a full attack on me!!?

I managed to kick it as it got to me, making it fly several feet up in the air as my foot connected well.

It stood there looking at me, then walked off and climbed our boundary wall and sat there.

I went back in the house and got a 22, and got out and shot it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Horses……… both domestic and their wild kin, can be a lot more aggressive when threatened than one would think, especially the stallions. They are also very tough, as most who have shot zebra will have experienced.

There is a reason that many sheep ranchers use donkeys as 'watch dogs' to keep predators away and in the past most of you probably saw the photos of a mule stomping the hell out of a mountain lion.

My wife and I have been raising, breeding and training horses for decades and our civilized horses will routinely pin their ears and go after a bear if it comes in the pasture they are in. We have seen this on numerous occasions…… and let me tell you when the bears see a horse with ears pinned bearing down upon them they get the hell out of dodge!! Smiler

Does not surprise me at all that a pissed off zebra stallion would go on the defensive with lions or suspected lions, especially after an altercation.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not an attack but the guy sure thought it was going to be.

I was cutting up either a deer or antelope in the kitchen when a neighbor came to the door. I had blood to my elbows of course and never gave a thought to putting the knife down.
Sam backed up and asked: "what the hell George!!"
Ahh, damn, Sam, I'm just cutting up some meat n didn't think to lay the knife down, come on in. He didn't know whether to or not for a minute.

Time before that we talked in the front yard he'd been drinking and kept whispering at me "I'm gonna kick your ass". After several times of ignoring him. I said: "anytime you're ready just climb on, but, make damned sure your life insurance is paid for because when you do, I'm gonna kill you Sam". I figure that was brought to mind when I opened the door with a knife in my hand. We've been ok since and neighbors since I moved in here back in Oct '74.

Such are funny things over a man's lifetime IF we live long enough.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reckon that there is no way that the stallion figured he was attacking lions .. More likely he thought that the Alberta dude was coming to compete for the mares ... probably a great compliment now that I think about it !!! I once had a big stallion run from my rifle shot that took out his buddy .. but actually stopped only about twenty feet from me ... and looked back - ignoring this Albertan totally ... now that I think about it - probably a great insult to me ... rotflmo

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I went to the pool here in our own house. There is some grass on one side of the pool and some bushes.

I saw a cat stalking some francolins with chicks. I picked up a small stone and threw it at the cat.

The cat did no budge at all.

I walked towards it, as I got to about 5 yards, the bloody thing launched a full attack on me!!?

I managed to kick it as it got to me, making it fly several feet up in the air as my foot connected well.

It stood there looking at me, then walked off and climbed our boundary wall and sat there.

That cat deserves a full body mount Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed,
that was an unfair fight Big Grin dancing

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote