New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life is Sweet ...
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys,
My two wonderful sons both married last year and, today, at 00:23 A.M., my wife and I became grandparents for the first time. I'm goin' buffalo huntin' again in August and I beat a 20 year old football player at arm-wrestling over the holiday weekend. Am I enjoying the fruits of life, or what? How about you?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Gramps.  -

Make sure you take the oxygen tank and the wheelchair with you on your hunt this year.

[ 05-29-2002, 01:29: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
So what is it like sleeping with a grandmaw??/

posted Hide Post
Thank You, ZERO. [Smile] Ray leaves his "walker" at the Holiday INN in Jo'Berg. He said I can borrow it for my upcoming hunt, as he'll be usin' a golf-cart in Australia, at that time. It's a very special walker. A sturdy S.S. and black synthetic model. Nice.

posted Hide Post
Harry,
Real Good! I always preferred older women. [Smile]

Headin' out to the Maternity Ward now. See you all around midnight.

<ovis>
posted
Nick,

Congratulations guy. Enjoy that grandchild, I can't wait for my first one. Good luck and good health to Mom, baby, and you all.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Congratulations. Pass along my best wishes to the new mother and baby.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu
Congratulations! Welcome to the club. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickudu:
Hi Nick,
Caongradulations on becoming a grandfather. Do you have a grandson or a granddaughter? You'll be able to look forward to some good times and be able to give him or her back after a good spoiling.

Take good care and pass on some good wishes,
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes good things come to those who grow old.
Congratulations! Will you being doing "The Old Man and the Boy" or "The Old Man and the Huntress" with the new arrival?

Kudos to Nickudu for living so long in spite of his hobbies.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well congratulations Nick.

All the best to the new parents and grandparents!

Bakes

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some guys just have it all. Who could ask for more? Congrats Nick

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Welcome to the ranks of the grands!

Renae and I are up to four grandsons now, from ages 13 down to 1.

The grand parents job is to spin them up, and then send them home with the parents...jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Nick,

50 yrs from now it won't matter how many Kudu u have taken, but it will matter what you taught your grandchild.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Congradulations my friend!

A new African hunter has arrived I hope [Big Grin]

We are waiting for our first in September, and his or hers first rifle is already under construction. It is based on a BRNO ZKM 452 22LR action. We are palanning on cutting the barrel and the stock to make it easier to handle for the young one.

Walter says he will paint it PINK if its a girl!

God help us if Walter is going to teach my kid to shoot! It looks like I have a lifelong job of undoing bad habits [Razz]

Posts: 66998 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Nickudu
Well done Grandad.May your grandchildren live long and prosper.
Regards
Deafdog

posted Hide Post
Many thanks, my friends. I have the new 7pound 10ounce "Huntress" model. She's a beauty! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
At a boy Nick, didn't know you had it in ya! I'm 45 and I have 4 of them. It's great. What do you want her to call you?

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Nick!!

Now you have a great reason to look forward to coming home after your safari!!

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry,
I want her to call me Hourly! [Wink]

Hi Rick,
That will certainly be a unique experience! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations grandpa! Grandkids are great ( I have two) If I'd known how much fun they are, I woulda had them firstSmiler

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats,
I'm still just a father of a 7 and 8 year old. But, even after a pretty active and successful life and career, I told my wife on the day my son was born that everything I had done to date seemed damned insignificant. Good luck on your hunt.
J

Posts: 177 | Location: Arcadia, Florida | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey,
congratulations GRANDPA [Smile]
I like to wish u all the best for the future, and become a great Grandfather.
I think now u have to learn ( or relearn ) how to change the shity pampers. [Eek!] ...

cheers
konst#1

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! My wife and I are contemplating children in the next year. Used to scare me to death...now I see where it might be a great thing.

I think outdoor writer Gene Hill might have said it best when he said that every child needs an old man to raise. Someone to teach him/her how to shoot a .22. Where bird nests are, and how to find berries to pick. How to call a turkey and clean fish. Where the deer sleep at night and all that other stuff that we were fortunate enough to have an old man teach us.

Old men need grandkids to teach them that sometimes its more fun to throw rocks in the water than it is to catch the fish and that the outdoors is a truly wonderous place to be.

Enjoy.

Posts: 181 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It seems that, even at the "Accurate Reloading Forum", there is no disagreement when it comes to the things in life that truly matter. I'm glad I posted this thread. It's a feel-good thread. There are lots of good people here and I'm glad to be a member. Thanks, again, to all.

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Sir!!

The best relationship you can ever have with your kids is when God is also a part.

I have not yet reached "grandfatherdom" yet but my step daughter just got married last month so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not in that club before too long.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<GeorgeInNePa>
posted
Congrats!
Did you buy her a rifle yet?

posted Hide Post
JDS said:
"The best relationship you can ever have with your kids is when God is also a part".

Yes, Sir!

GeorgeInNePa,
I'm thinkin' on it! [Smile] I still have my old Springfield .22, with the pull-back cocking knob. I want her to cut her teeth w/ iron sights, the old fashioned way! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
I kyped that wheelchair from the hospital when my first grandson was born. Kyped is a term only grandfathers remember...since that time I have replaced the SS with rust blued metal and the plastic with exhibition 40 year old Turkish...your gonna love it papa!!

On the down side, by the time you take that grandson or grandaughter on their first Safari, you won't be whupping any 20 year old football players arm wrestling or even your grandaughter [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
Er um a make that a walker, wheelchair, golf cart cross...It took me two years to design and I will checker it next year, Yeah, Yeah, thats the ticket.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to re-read "Old Man and the Boy", or read it for the first time if you haven't already.

THAT'S the kind of grandfather I hope to be.

One of my favorite parts is when young Robert asks his grandpa if he can go camping with him and his friends. Grandpa replies, "well, I don't know.....I can't be worrying about you all the time.....man can't read the paper around here for the sound o snappin bones"

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Sure hope you didn't go makin' that walker too fancy. Never did like worrying about scratchin' up my hunting equipment. [Wink]

I think you're right about the arm wrestling ... I'da beat this guy easy 10 years ago! [Big Grin] Getting old is a big adjustment, ain't it?

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Life IS sweet, and may it only get sweeter as you age like a fine wine (as another old codger I can say that [Smile] ). Where is your buff hunt? It seems that we will be hunting at about the same time.

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim,
My goal was Tanzania but I simply could not get the hunt duration I wanted to match my budget. I will return to the Zambesi Valley at Dande North with Swainsons Safaris. With 14 days scheduled, the second half of August, I am hopful of finding what I'm looking for. I'll be christening my .505 on its' intended guarry. I'm ready! [Smile]

Good Luck On Your Hunt ... Nick

<Terry P>
posted
Congratulations Nick!! Your really going to enjoy being a grandfather. I have a 5 year old granddaughter that lives in Tennessee. She will be down here for a week for Nana and Papa Terry to spoil. It's great stuff.

Good luck on your hunt but be careful with that arm old man!

Regards,
Terry

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Terry. Yes the spoiling has already begun ... bigtime! I am reminded of that TV commercial where the grandparents take their grand kids to Disney World and the Grandma asks the kids: "now we're not spoiling you, now ... are we?" [Smile]