Double rifles: O/U vs S/S
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All the classic mechanical problems inherent to the strength of the double gun action is addressed in the Boss O/U action. Add to this then the sight plane of a single barrel and you may well have the perfect double, but at a huge price.

I've never shot either a S/S or O/U double rifle, but I have shot O/U shotguns a lot. I have, however, handled both S/S and O/U double rifles in the Beretta showroom -- Beretta makes both S/S and O/U double rifles -- when it was located in Alexandria, VA. The Beretta O/U rifles are, in fact, less expensive then their S/S double rifles. I understand that regulating the barrels of double rifle -- making the two barrels shoot to the same point -- is easier to accomplish for an O/U than it is for a S/S rifle.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf

I have a little experiance with O/U doubles (two Tikkas) and regulating the POI for them.

You wouldn't believe what can happen with an O/U rifle dead on regulated for 100 meters betweeen 0 and 50 meters - the POI between the top and bottom barrels can have everything between -7" to + 7" vertically - even if they hit perfectly together every time (>2" 4 shots) at 100 meters.

I would for sure would not want this in a DG situation - I could not adjust aiming to compensate the difference in POI for the barrels and distance....

I've ordered a SxS by the way - tired of guessing where I will hit in the first 50 meters.

I dont say that there arn't any O/U that do hit perfectly both barrels into 0.5" all the time from 0-1000yards - mine do not - so I'll change it....

Cheers, Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Alf, as an owner of several wonderful rifles that you don�t really need, (I dare state this, because I am in sort of the same predicament myself) you must surely appreciate that among the reasons for acquiring something as beautiful as a double rifle rationality doesn�t top the list.

Years ago I read in the American Rifleman magazine the words of Finn Aagard; "I must have a xx cal rifle, simply because it pleases my heart, which, after all, is the best reason of all"

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with the old PH Mr J�rgen J�sch, Klipspringerlodge, Nelspruit, RSA. He has a wonderful Ferlach made O/U in cal. 458 Win Mag. He had it made in the 1970.hs when he couldn't get ammo for his Brittish.470 SbS.

Mr J�sch has hunted the whole of Africa, started in Kenya in the 1950.s and he seems to be very saticfied with the O/U...

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I say shoot what ever you want, it's your butt, and your money!

I have both types,as well as drillings, and cape guns, and I like them all, but for different purposes. I'll always have a S/S in my hands where dangerous game is concerened, but I throughly enjoy hunting deer in the deep woods with a scoped single trigger O/U 7x57R, or 9.3x74R!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote