THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Please help me identify this animal?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me identify this animal?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Please help identify this animal. I took the photo in a very old eastern Free State farmhouse. There are a whole bunch of such horns, most of which I could identify and tell the farm owner something about the trophy value. For example the photo also show a young impala and a very good gemsbuck.

The "corkscrew" horns are most definately "horns" and not some hoax. I pulled the black cloth a bit sideways and could clearly see that the "corkscrew things" are without any doubt true horns attached to a skull bone. There is absolutely no sign of any "ridge" as in the normal spiral horn antelope: The whole horn is quite round and smooth, but the "spiral" or corckscrew shape is quite evident, even if my photo was just snapped with a small digital camera..

Does anyone know what animal the hrons belonged to? If no-one knows, who wants to take a guess? The farmer had a few nature conservation guys there recently (to inspect, measure and weigh his rhino horn in the same display and compare it to the particulars in his permit) and they could not ID the animal at all. Wink Well, neither could I! Confused

Help!

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a shed reindeer horn from rudolph when he was little Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best guess would be that it is a set of deformed cattle horns. Most likely from a Sanga/Nguni beast.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:
My best guess would be that it is a set of deformed cattle horns. Most likely from a Sanga/Nguni beast.

That would be my guess as well! Cattle horns!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
+2 for some kind of cattle

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What about a bongo that has been sanded down. The old people loved doing this.I have seen Same colour horns in Kudu and Eland.Sanded down and varnished it looses its "ridge" Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Bongo, thats a bushbuck from the Eastern cape, they get huge here ha ha! rotflmo

Posts: 90 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks as though it might be the unfortunate by-product of a chance meeting between a bovine and a kudu!

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Hell-Boy III

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Cattle. Those look like one hell of a big set of bovine horns.

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for cow horns.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
screwy Watusi

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with something bovine

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
I have to agree with something bovine

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a possibility the skull has been sectioned or the horns rotated to bring the tips closer together in an inverted "omega"? If the tips were further apart in a "W" they would look more like cattle horns.
Longhorn and Watusi cross-

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Can you see what happens with to much 'BOSKOS' on Springbuck...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
There is a tribe someplace in Africa that form the horns of their cattle by tieing them as they grow to shape them to in odd shapes. I can't remember where I saw it but I think on a National Geographic show, and It seems to me they were someplace in a North African country!

Anyway the only horns I have ever seen with a surface like that mount were from cattle. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it may be the old 4,000 lb Hartebeast of legend. Perhaps I'll buy them, and hang them in the study next to my Irish Elk !!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas, all! Biebs

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote