New
Find
Notify
Tools

False Prophets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received Wallace Taber's book "Safari Sagas" from my good friend Sam Pancotto. From the year 1951 he writes "My admonishment would be not to wait much longer if you plan to go on safari in Africa. Even now, there is but little to hunt in South Africa. And, in East Africa, it is going fast, Frank Bowman, well-known Nairobi white hunter, gives wildlife another ten years......at most fifteen at its present rate of decline".

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9494 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing he was wrong!

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
In comparison he was probably right. Especially if you discount the farm bred game farms.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the exclusive safari hunting that was conducted in the Golden Age is still available for someone with sufficient resources.

Game ranches and short package hunts just make the adventure available to a wider market that wouldn't even have dreamt of going to Africa 40-50 yrs ago.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Surely it is obvious enough if one looks at the whole world that it is becoming daily better cultivated and more fully peopled. All places are now accessible, all are well known; most pleasant farms have obliterated all traces of what were once dreary and dangerous wastes; cultivated fields and subdued forests, flocks and herds have expelled wild beasts; sandy deserts are sown; rocks are planted; marshes drained; and where once were hardly solitary cottages, there are now large cities. No longer are islands dreaded, nor their rocky shores feared; everywhere are houses and inhabitants. Our teeming population is the strongest evidence; our numbers are burdensome to the world which can hardly supply us from its natural elements; our wants grow more and more keen, and our complaints more bitter in all mouths, whilst Nature fails in affording us her usual sustenance. In every deed, pestilence, famine and wars, and earthquakes have to be regarded as a remedy for nations, as the means of pruning the luxuriance of the human race." Tertullian, 337 A.D.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the early fifties is when "they" got organized in starting national parks, the Selous, wide spread conservation efforts, organizations like EAPHA, and the general recognition of the need to conserve the big game...the mean colonialists.

But population increases will put all animals in danger. I just hope it lasts for at least another 3 months!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading one of the Martin Johnson books that was probably written in the 1920's or 30's where he predicted the same thing. He warned that you needed to hurry to Africa because the animals wouldn't be around long. I agree - go now and go often!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
I received Wallace Taber's book "Safari Sagas" from my good friend Sam Pancotto. From the year 1951 he writes "My admonishment would be not to wait much longer if you plan to go on safari in Africa. Even now, there is but little to hunt in South Africa. And, in East Africa, it is going fast, "Frank Bowman, well known Nairobi white hunter, gives wildlife another ten years......at most fifteen at it's present rate of decline".

The key here is the last sentence in bold above! If the decline seen in 1951 had continued till today, and the game farms, and re-introduction of wild life back into their old habitat, had not happened, I fear we would not see Africa as it is today!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I still think that advice from 1951 is worth following: Hunt all you can now, especially in Africa, because the world is changing fast, and the window of opportunity is narrowing quickly.

I don't see him as a false prophet -- rather a visionary..............

AD

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Well back then an East African game licence probably included four elephant, black rhino, lion, leopard and buffalo was a common game animal. Plus dozens of plains game, I don't see the statement as incorrect at all.

Having said that I would argue a short safari is now much more accessible to many more people but that has more to do with the ease and price of travel than anything else.

I like that quotation of Tertullian. But not many centuries after 337 A.D. Europe and the Roman Empire was plunged into a Dark Age.

Another dark age one day. Only those who does not understand the repeatability of history would think it could never happen again.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

How old is Sam Pancotto these days? He must be getting up there. I hope he is in good health.

One thing's for sure, Sam Pancotto took Mr. Taber's advice seriously. He has been on more safaris and taken more game, especially huge elephants, than most of us can even dream of.

Sparked by a reference to Sam that I saw on another site, I leafed through Andrew Holmberg's and Bert Klinebuger's books the other day, and saw many photographs of Sam (and some of his wife Rose) with many 100 lb.+ elephants.

And I wouldn't dare reject Mr. Taber's advice, no matter how good things seem to be going, not today and not ever. Remember the shock and disbelief after Kenya and Tanzania suddenly closed all hunting? Thank God at least Tanzania saw the error of its ways and reopened. And can anyone even count the number of civil wars and coups d'etat that have occurred in Africa over the years, all with awful effects on wildlife and hunting?

To paraphrase Jay Mellon, the best time to hunt Africa is always now.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,

Sam is 77 and fiesty as ever. Sam is taking his grandson on safari next week. Sam's wife Rose and daughter (Marilyn) are in Fiona Capstick's book Diana Files. Marilyn shot a 106lb. bull on her honeymoon.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9494 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow AD!

You've really got a way with words.

"Widow of Opportunity"

Brilliant and profound, if you think about it. thumb

I guess she'll show up right after the Fat Lady Sings Wink

Regards

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Thanks for pointing out my mistake!

Hang on to your shorts, and I'll edit that post ASAP!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just after FC Selous first return home, he complained about the game being shot out and golden days of hunting Africa were over.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hey, Kathi, it's great to hear that not only is Sam Pancotto still kicking, he's still hunting, and teaching his grandson to carry on as well!

All of us can only hope that when we're 77, we'll be able to do the same. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote