THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: If you could turn back time.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If you could turn back time.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
How about pre-45-70 days?

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Saeed and I'm sure he has killed more Buffalo than Selous, he left me deaf after one trip, and I also hunted with Walter, what more could one ask of life

I've always thought a lot of Harry Selby and I know him and Mark very well, but never hunted with Harry, that would have been nice...

I really would have liked to hunted with John Taylor but he was gay, so I suspect it would have come to blows, no make that fistacuffs, sooner or later, he liked to fight btw and was apparantly a very good fighter as well as a hunter...

Hell, I don't know, I'd rather hunt with Will than any of them and sure I would love to have the .470 brass, be glad to pay for it, my friend.

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The old Rhodesia days with Ivory hunter Fletcher Jamieson

The Man

The letter

Regards, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Wagon,
Saxton Pope and Art Young, I would like to have been their back up with a gun. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you could turn back the hands of time and hunt with any singular African hunter who would you choose ? I should think Barclay Cole or Lord Delamere would have been as intersting as the game and colonial Africa.

Definitely Harry Selby. It would be interesting to hunt with Jack Lott also.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose he's not known for hunting in Africa, although he has done some. Jim Corbett would be my pick.
For purely Africa, Bell. I'd like to see him hunt elephant with a 7mm.....and I'll be standing waaaaay over there.

Posts: 7977 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry Selby for me.

-Bob F.

For a nice bio of Mr. Selby by Joe Coogan see:
http://gabrimaun.tripod.com/HarrySelby.html

Also, be sure to visit Gail Selby Wentink's web site at:< !--color-->
http://gabrimaun.tripod.com/index.html

Gail with her father Harry Selby
"Over the years I have experienced many wonderful moments in the Botswana bush with my father, Harry Selby. Each trip held its share of fear, humour, excitement, disappointment, success and hard work. I enjoy hunting (I shot my first elephant when I was 14 years old) and have had the privilege of being a spectator on many great hunts.
Published in Magnum/Man Magazine January 1987

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
F.C. Selous, Fletcher Jamieson, John Taylor (he apparently was not a poof), Brian Marsh and not neccesarily in that order!

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the waliangulu "ace" hunters from Tsavo.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
"Pondoro," TR, or Hemmingway. Hunting with any of these chaps would have been quite interesting, for various reasons.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lord Delamere, F C Selous

But my all time favorite would be Dennys Finch-Hatton He was the man back then.

Cheers,

Andr�

I have very a limited knowledge of the classical hunters, but Finch-Hatton was a name that came to my mind as well. I guess we Scandinavians have a special relationship to him thanks to Karen Blixen.

Regards,

Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
I don�t really care, as long as it would be a six month safari..
But seriously, I believe I would chose Bror Blixen, just because he was a little off the rocker, so to speak. Might have been interesting.

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John A. Hunter.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can go for six months I will gladly ammend my choices as well

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles Cottar if you go way back, more recent, Terry Irwin.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill 3rd Teddy Roosevelt.

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
The two Harry's.......Manners and Selby. Mozambique and Kenya when they were in their prime.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Balla Balla, Fletcher Jamieson would be my choice.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd like to share a campfire with Harry & Mark Selby, Robert Ruark, Peter Hathaway Capstick. What great memories and stories!

I'd also be happy to share a campfire with my AR brothers!

Russel Great picture!

Bob, thanks for the tip on the site! Wonderful photo!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote