New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matetsi Unit 5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted Matetsi Unit 5 lately for elephant. On Friday, I talked to Ron Oliver about an elephant hunt in 2011.

If anybody has experience hunting Matetsi 5 or booking hunts through Ron Oliver, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posts: 75 | Location: South Louisiana | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the Zim Game Department Unit, managed by Ron. I hunted there with HHK in July 2004 (PH Derek "Gomez" Adams) on an 18 day lion, buffalo, etc. hunt. It is a game rich area and has the unique trait of many miles of common boundary with Hwange National Park and thus has many elephant spilling over this boundary all the time, especially due to the oftentimes shortage of adequate water in the Park and the abundance of water sources in Unit 5. I was not hunting trophy bull on this hunt, but did take a tuskless cow and some 16 or so other animals during the hunt. I did not kill a lion as I did not see one old enough to consider although we did find four sets of good tracks early in the hunt and we baited extensively. The buffalo moved out of the area for a bit and the lions moved with them which is fairly usual.

The area suffered a big fire/burn a couple of years ago during the season, but that should actually be an improvement now or have no current impact. The Zim Game Department first wanted to run this area on its own, but soon found that it was not adequately capable or competent to do so and Ron Oliver then began to manage the area. When I was there, the camp staff were all employed by the game department or Parks and their common sense, work ethic and understanding of the commercial hunting industry were completely lacking. I think Ron has worked to resolve all of those issues.

I've known Ron since 2000 and think he runs good camps and quality hunts. He is very conscientious about his hunters, hunts, and camps. I've communicated with him recently and know that he spent quite a bit of personal time getting the camp improved in Unit 5.

The elephant hunting should be very good, depending on the time of year, water conditions in the Park, etc. I saw (and stalked for fun) a couple of 55 pounders during my hunt. I easily saw more elephant than buffalo during my hunt there. We saw elephant every day and we were almost always hunting something else.

I would suggest inquiring with Ron precisely what has been taken by way of elephant in the past three years, what could be expected and the elephant experience and knowledge of the PH to be used. Historically, an elephant in the 50 to 55 lb class would be possible in this area, but I don't know what was killed in 2009.

Ron began his reputation in Zimbabwe with archery hunts, but over the last eight years or so has earned a more diverse reputation for all aspects of dangerous game and plains game hunts in Zimbabwe and other countries, including Zambia. Other posts could provide more detailed information about hunts booked with Ron in recent years as I have no experiences in that area.

To be sure, Matetsi Unit 5 is game rich and full of elephant much of the year. As in all areas, however, seasonal changes do matter and you should do your best to time your elephant hunt when Ron believes there is the greatest likelihood of mature and trophy bulls being in the concession (usually meaning coming out of the park or even Botswana). The area is about a one hour drive from Vic Falls airport and is thus easily accessible.

Others may have more recent information to provide and respond to your inquiry. Good luck with the planning. Any elephant hunt is time well spent.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Gill:
Any elephant hunt is time well spent.

. . . and the whole congregation said, "Amen".

Mike

Posts: 21398 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
see my report about my hunt in the unit 3 year ago

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I can assure you what ever Ron Oliver says will be true, if anything understated. He has spent a ton of time and money in Unit 5 and it is now a premiere hunting unit. He will have plenty of references for you to call, I've had several customers hunt there since Ron took over the bookings and they have all had good hunts.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted in unit 4 in Sept 09(shares a boundary with unit 5) and shot 2 great dugga boys. The area is fantastic with excellent numbers of plains game species,i.e sable, roan eland, kudu, zebra etc. We actually saw lion every day with the count ending on 24 with 2 shooter males according to the guides. Plenty of buff and ele, but didnt really see any above 30 pounds in the short time we were there. Will try and post some pics of the area, but trust me the area is still a gem!!

Posts: 80 | Location: botswana | Registered: 13 March 2009Reply With Quote