New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Baboons!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
An aquaintance with a 338 Lapua Magnum (1:10" twist, suppressor/moderator/can) desires to maintain proficciency between deployments (private employment). A very kind and unselfish fellow AR poster visited me and Lois recently. He mentioned that another fellow brought a 338 Lapua Magnum anp pre-shipped several cases ($$$$$) of ammunition. Said person then spent six weeks shooting Baboons out to 1500 meters (reasonable shot for a proficient marksman in calm wind conditions). He was understandably popular with all the local farmers.

Is this a do-able proposition in RSA? I understand that screw on suppressors are legal there - the blast from a muzzle breaked 338 Lapua Magnum is dangerous due to bone conduction.

My aquaintence will finish his present contract in December. If this is a do-able proposition, I would like to get some information about daily rates, and what hoops are required to import 2,500 rounds of 338 Lapua Magnum ammunition. Namibia would Certainly be an acceptable alternative for obvious reasons. A mix of low lying flat and hot conditons with hilly/mountainous conditions would be icing on the cake.

Any and all ideas would be delitefully entertained. 50 BMG would be icing on the cake, if it is legal to import to a given country.

No sense lettng the donkeys and camels in the Austalian Northern Territories have all the press, 'eh.

Very truly yours,

lawndart

PS Lead time on ammunition pre-shipmet?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phillip Price, Swartkei safaris who I book hunts for on ocassions had a hunter who would take a Mini 14, a 12 ga. shotgun and have a helicopter land near a group of Baboons, drop him off in a depression and when the copter flies off the baboons will come out scolding the ship, and he would lay into them, killing a lot of them...Phillip and I figured someday he would meet his end doing this, but so far he has triumphed I guess...Come to think of it I have not heard from him in quit a while!! lefty

He was truly a baboon hunter, in fact thats all he ever hunted..I got the impression he was a brick or two short..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
you got to follow-up on this story----it's to good. More details--is this guy still doing this?
Baboon huntin' at its finest Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I would think the guy would want to practice on larger targets like the culls in Australia that you mentioned.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

....He was truly a baboon hunter, in fact thats all he ever hunted..I got the impression he was a brick or two short..

Depending on WHO is counting the the bricks, WE ALL fall into this catagory from time to time dancing

Makes life sooo interesting!!

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My own baboon was taken at 350 yards. I rekon that shooting baboons is similar to hunting men.

They can see, are smart, and can communicate with eachother.

I found it to be outstanding!

I would do it again anyday anytime!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
lawndart, I am not sure that volume of shooting baboons can be sustained in any areas I know of, definately not in any of mine. I do however have plenty of spingbok for him to come and hone his skills on, with a few added baboons as bonusses.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl
I think that the baboon resembles a hurman target is what floats his boat. Its practice for the kind of work that good men don't speak
often.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that the baboon resembles a hurman target is what floats his boat. Its practice for the kind of work that good men don't speak
often.

J D, I understood it that way as well, just concerned about the impact on the baboon population. Though they can be a nuisance, I would surely hate to kill them all, or even have a very negative impact on their population.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 2 baboons and no-one minds hunting baboons like you would any other animal, but with all due respect I will never understand the desire to wantonly slaughter baboons just for shits and giggles. thumbdown, its lame!

As hunters we should respect game animals. Yes bobos can be a pest but are not deserving of senseless blasting as target practice.

If you want to shoot 1500m targets, put up some steel plates of what ever shape floats your boat and blast away.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote