Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.x72r bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Hey luv2safari. I finally killed a whitetail with the drilling, but was somewhat dissapointed with the bullet performance. I used the bullets that you sent with the gun, but they exploded on impact. I shot the deer at 25yds and it ran off like it wasn't hit and showed no blood trail in the snow and I thought that I had somehow missed it. After a perod of time I did find the deer, it did only run a 100 yards and died. The bullet broke the front shoulder and then broke a rib and stoppd inside the chest cavity after destroying the lungs.
Now before you yell, yes the deer did drop, but if there had not been snow on I could have lost the deer, the brush is very thick where I was hunting and I would have prfered and expectd that the animal would have been blown of his feet or at least not run so far.
My question can I get a bullet that has a thicker jacket thatwill pass through the animal, not a solid, but a bullet that would create shock and leave an exit hole to provide a blood trail.

Posts: 32 | Location: New York | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a 9,3X72R or a 9x72R?

In the 9,3 calibers, the 286 gr Nosler partition has done a wonderful job on everything I've shot with it ... whitetails, hog, impala, warthog, wildebeast, kudu, and zebra. All pass throughs. All either dropped on the spot or left great blood trails. Use them in 9,3x74R and 9,3x62 at 2300-2425 fps measured.

Have not been impressed with the 270 grain Speer Hot Core. Accurate but too soft.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can't use the normal 9.3 bullets they are to large of a dia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a 9x72R (alswo known as an 8.7x72R) then. One source shows this takes a .355" bullet.

See:

9x72R on Nitroexpress

Slug the bore. If it is closer to 0.358" your in business as most .35 caliber bullets will work and Nosler makes them. If not ... you'll have to consider having some made or resizing .358s down just a bit.

Good luck!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, it's a 9.3x72r and it takes a .364 bullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
GRP
I would give http://www.hawkbullets.com a try.

For velocities up to 2150 fps I would use .025 or .030 jackets.
For velocities around 2350 fps I would use .035 jackets.
I have had very good results with Hawk bullets on deer and wild pigs.

What weight bullet are you using? What is the velocity?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NE 450

Hi, actually I emailed them earlier tonight and told them my plight. The velocity is around 1950fps. They made me some custom loads for my 9.5 MS and they worked great. Thanks for the advice.

posted Hide Post
NE 450

The bullet weight is 197 RNSP and the brass has slits cut into it.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Sellier and Bellot (spelling??) makes factory ammo and a search on the net will find it. I have a little stalking rifle that shoots the S&B ammo quite well. I believe the factory specs at the site show a 193 grain bullet at 1950 or so.

Try this site: Drilling Hotline site

I've used this ammo in my Suhl stalking rifle in 9.3x72 with good success on several animals with the biggest a little South Georgia doe (less than 100 pounds). It was a shoot through and the damage was about what you'd expect with a .38/55 or any slow, fat cartridge...

I believe a box of the S&B cost about $40.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 9.3x72 is made for bullets in .364, not .366. I have been told that bullets in .366 works but one have to be careful with pressure. Further, the rifling is adapted to bullets around 200 grains. There are many lovely old German drillings in this calibre, but here in Sweden 9.3x72 is not legal for anything bigger than roe deer unless you handload to higher pressure than the factory ammo (and know what you are doing). With hot handloads it would be all right for moose over here.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote