THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Botswana elephants hit Namibia crops, environment

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana elephants hit Namibia crops, environment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Science - Reuters

Botswana Elephants Hit Namibia Crops, Environment

Fri Mar 4, 8:08 AM ET Science - Reuters

By Peter Apps

KATIMA MULILO, Namibia (Reuters) - Botswana's burgeoning elephant population is increasingly thundering across the border into neighboring Namibia and causing havoc, an environmental development group says.

A crack down on poaching to boost tourism and years without culling and disease has allowed Botswana's elephant population to swell to over 100,000.

But the group, a Namibian organization backed by the World Wildlife Fund, says there are now too many.

"It's an enormous problem - they're damaging the environment and it's a social problem because they trample crops and people are scared of them," said conservationist Richard Diggle from the Integrated Rural Development and Nature Conservation program.

Herds of up to 50 elephants roam through Caprivi, a small strip of Namibian territory between Botswana, Zambia and Angola.

They destroy crops, stop children going to school and even trample some, Diggle told Reuters in the town of Katima Mulilo on the borders of Namibia, Zambia and Botswana.

The people living in Caprivi are largely dependent on subsistence farming and the destruction of staple maize crops can be disastrous for families in a region battling a 43 percent HIV prevalence rate among adults.

Southern Africa has battled food shortages in the past several years which health workers say has been exacerbated by a rampaging AIDS epidemic.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, I will do my best to help thin the population later this year! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If in fact there is an overpopulation problem with the Elephants, they'll most likely destroy their habitat, thus that of all other game animals, etc.

Somebody had better get the facts, not the Leftists "feel good" facts, but the cold, hard reality as to what is really going on over there and get them in front of the right folks - whoever that might be.

Otherwise, we'll end up with the same problem we have with deer here in S. Texas; puny, in-bred animals that are a nusiance to all except those few loudmouthes "Bambi-o-files" that seem to get their way all too often.

Common sense must prevail!

Jeff