THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Suggestions for area for trophy warthogs Namibia?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for area for trophy warthogs Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Title pretty well says it all, I like warthogs.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have generally heard that warthogs aren't as big in Namibia as in RSA or even Zim. I'm sure there are exceptions, but as a rule I don't think of Namibia when I think of big Warthogs. I love the warties too, so if there are some areas in Namibia with great warthogs I would love to hear about it also.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE HUNTED NORTHEAST NAMIBIA SEVERAL TIMES AND EACH TIME HAVE TAKEN SOME VERY GOOD PIGS. The area where I hunted was about one hour east of Grootfontein. I have been told that this area is not considered a really great area for warthogs but I can only say that it has been quite good to me.

PS: I love hunting pigs also.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My info and experience matches Bill's post. My two Namibian warthogs do not match those I've taken in Zim and RSA. Namibian outfitter (north-central area) acknowledged as much. But, Namibia does have lots of 'em!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told that the soil type in Namibia for the most part was either more abrasive and/or a hard pan that caused much breakage. Was also told there are pockets that have big pigs.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia has some decent warthogs but the best ot the big boys come from the Kruger area such as the Seleti Game Preserve and surrounding area..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

The biggest warthogs that I've seen are from Coutada 9 in Mozambique. The pigs are incredibly abundant, large in body and enormous in tusks. You could kill a 12" everyday there and 13"-14" are quite common. We have a pick up from there of 15.5"x16.5". The nice thing there is that they are so abundant that you can shoot as many as you would like.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
This one was taken by Ph Tobie Engelbrecht in the Groontfontein area of Namibia.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for NE Namibia. Vaughan and I hunted Wolfgang Faulk's place outside Otavi and got this pig, and saw plenty of other good warthogs. I had no intention of hunting warthogs until I saw a few good ones while stalking eland.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last two are HUGE.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophy fees for warthogs in Namibia are quite stiff...typically $400. In Zululand we charge only $150 and boy there are plenty of them down there. Good thing because you can shoot 2 or 3 for the price of 1 in Namibia. And if you take up a cancellation we have for an Nyala hunt late May this year, we are giving away two warthog or a warthog and an impala.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, nice pig! I shot one just like him with Vaughan last Sept, also at Wolfgang's. Only I think mine was the grandfather of yours. He was old, slow and deaf enough that I was able to walk up to him and shoot at bow range. The pig, not Vaughan.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
We get some nice ones at Sebra, northwestern Namibia:

~Ann

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
Jorge, nice pig! I shot one just like him with Vaughan last Sept, also at Wolfgang's. Only I think mine was the grandfather of yours. He was old, slow and deaf enough that I was able to walk up to him and shoot at bow range. The pig, not Vaughan.

We actually saw one that was bigger while trying to cut a track of two eland. He gave us the slip and we continued on our way. I hope the one you popped was him, because he was quite a trophy. We also saw several broken tusked warthogs that rivaled both.

Did you see the tusks in Wolfgang's office that his father-in-law killed? Vaughan nearly choked on his scotch when he saw them.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am still kicking my ass about shooting a warthog in Tanzania and then what I saw at Wolfgang's, My Kudu and Eland I shot at Wolfgang's made up for it though!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato:

Namibia may not be the very best place to look for record book warthogs, but it is a great place to hunt warthogs, nonetheless. Warties are like most any pig in that they can survive in adverse conditions, but the more rain and food, the larger they grow. The dry southern areas of Namibia have surprising numbers of hogs, but they have a tough time growing to trophy proportions. As you go north, it gets wetter, so up in the Caprivi you can probably find warthogs as large as anywhere in Africa. You probably won't have a chance to hunt the Caprivi on your trip, so just plan to hunt hogs as far north (or in as wet a place) as you have the opportunity.

Whether you come across a real trophy or not, huntin' hogs will be rewarding. There is something about the looks and nature of a warthog that makes them, as my grandmother would have said, "just need killin".

You can check out the top ten warthogs taken in Namibia on the NAPHA website. The website will tell you the farm or concession where the hog was taken.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Afternoons driving from just past Okahandja to Outjo is one warthog or family of warthogs after another. (Mornings are hundreds of steenbok.)

Last year was so dry my PH/game farm owner had to bring in lucerne and lucerne pellets because the grass/tubers failed. The warthogs were in pig heaven with the pellets, and I was forced to head shoot a baby warthog off a mound of pellet bags (250-3000 at 10 meters). It was truly delicious.

The rains have been extraordinary this year so all those pigs will have grown...

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote