New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Guns are Comming Back
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I missed my SAA flight back from JoBerg to Atlanta because of bad weather at the Joberg airport. The SAA agent talked me into going through London and then on to Seattle WA with United. Bad decision. My duffel bag made it 5 days later but no guns. I filed a claim with United when I arrived in Seattle on Sept 27th. I called their claims office every day. Still no guns. I got lucky one day and got to talk to Craig Drapper from United. He unfucked the baggage search the other United people did and call and faxed Joberg for me. I got a call at 5 am a few days later from SAA in Joberg. They would go look in their locked baggage for my guns. A few days after that I get a call from Atlanta customs Brokers that they had my guns and would be shipping them to me by UPS ground service. I should receive them on Fri.
Boy did I ever feel lucky and happy. I really thought they were gone for good. I had borrowed my friends Ruger 375 H&H for this hunt and I also had my Win 7x57 featherweight in the box. I had insures both through the NRA insurance plan before I left for my trip. I still didn't want to see them gone.
I should have known better and not taken the rushed transfer to the United flight, even though the SAA agent said he would make sure my guns and duffle would be on that flight. I could have spent a restful night in a Joberg hotel on SAA and flew out the next evening, instead I spent ten hours at the London airport with little sleep.
Moral of Story, If you feel rushed, don't do it.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That is good news. I am glad to hear it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on getting the firerarms back. If this ever happens again, contact Louis at Afton Guest House, he will find your firearms for you and see that they are delivered.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goog advice Terry. I stayed at the Afton House in 03 on my way to Zim.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote