Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Paid Sim Cards for S. Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Anyone recommend a pre-paid SIM card provider that covers S. Africa? Zim and RSA specifically.

I've got a few days layover in J-burg and Vic Falls and I thought that a SIM card might make it easier to call back home and for emergencies.

I've got an unlocked quad band GSM phone, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up [rented?] a SIM card from Vodaphone in Johannesburg last August and used it for the month I was there. Very convenient and easy to do. It was great having a "local" phone number while I was there. I'm not sure if they work in ZIM though.

It is cheaper than using your own phone rates in RSA and probably cheaper than using any international rates to call home. IIRC it cost a flat $10/mo for the card and .35 per minute in RSA and $1.50 per minute to the USA - don't quote me but Vodaphones rates should be available on their web site?

Your USA number will not work of course when you have the RSA sim card installed, though you can swap them in and out I think.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have a second cell phone I take with me and pick up a sim card at the airport upon arrival.

I do take my regular cell and turned it on while in Harare (as an experiment) and saw it was fully funtional and it found a phone service right away. I just figure to use it there would have been pretty expensive.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
email these mobile service providers
www.vodacom.co.za
www.mtn.co.za
Cell C (don't know the site, just google it)

They will help you.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote