Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor hunting shows
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Okay, Ive read thru some of the threads on the DSC and SCI shows, interesting reading and insights from all contributors. One thing that was barely mentioned was anything about the Harrisburg, PA sports show. What I did see on that was that it supposedly is the biggest sports show (at least on the east coast of the USA, and lasting NINE days no less).

How come no one ever posts info about it (Harrisburg show), is it that no one from AR goes, which I would find hard to believe, or that it isn't as prestigious or interesting as the DCS or SCI. I've been to DCS show once (2008) and found it quite interesting, thought of going to SCI, but am put off by the fact I have to be a SCI member and still pay the outrageous (at least in my mind) entrance fee and then probably have to elbow my way thru the crowds (but if its that crowded, others like going, and good for them).

I just attended this past weekend the local outdoors show held here in Western Washington and did notice a fewer booths representing African hunting, there were still a few, but not the 12-15 I remember from years past.

Would just be interested in post info and "insights" on the HArrisburg show as others have posted about DCS and SCI.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is the largest show any where and is held in the Pa Farm Show arena in Feb. It is not the high end scale show like SCI & DSC. It has many more NA outfitters than both of the others combined but not the high end International people. It also covers hugh amounts of fishing equipement etc. There are probably more turkey calls there than any where else in the world. It attracts probably more than twice the people that the other two do combined. Go to their web site and see the list of vendors it will blow your mind. The size of the building is also hugh, or should I say buildings which are interconnected. The official name is Eastern Sportsman Show. www.easternsportshow.com

I just looked at their site and Larry Weishuhn will be there as will Michael Waddel.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Never been but from what I understand, a man who sells top end hunts can go hungry there. Just not the market for a Elephant hunt.

Although, there are some guys who manage to do ok there.

I also hear the hours of the show are very long. Something like 9 to 9? Is this correct?

If I had to do a 9 day, 12-hour-per-day show, You would likely find me dead in my hotel room on the 7th morning, or at least severly mentally deranged. nilly

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
or at least severly mentally deranged. nilly

In what way would this differ from any other day?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been to DCS show once (2008) and found it quite interesting, thought of going to SCI, but am put off by the fact I have to be a SCI member and still pay the outrageous (at least in my mind) entrance fee

The SCI show in Reno is a members only fund raiser. Their activities support the hunting activities we all enjoy. If you don't want to join that is your choice.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
The Eastern sports and outdoor show is a huge show and very time demanding of exhibitors.
I have been working for the Hunt of a Lifetime
Foundation ( a wish granting Charity) for the last 9 years. I have never been to an sci convention but I am fairly certain the financial condition of attendees in Reno is far higher than those going to Harrisburg,PA.
Most of the Africa hunting operators are offering plains game and some of the big stuff.
I would also venture a quess from my own observations that most of the Africa hunting outfits that offer bow-hunting do farly well at this show.

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take earplugs to Harrisburg. Turkey calls can drive you crazy. A lot of the attendees are local PA hunters who wouldn't dream of paying to hunt anything anywhere. Still it can be worth visiting if you are in the area.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Mike , They actually try and keep all the call mfg. in one room. duck,goose ,turkey , varmint
can be entertaining for all of 10 mins then even us exhibitors want to shoot them.

EJ Carter 2011

posted Hide Post
The Harrisburg show is huge, and I've gone there several times (met a few AR Members there, as well).

Invariably, the weather is miserable, making the 3 hour drive an ordeal, the parking lots are jammed, the crowds are ridiculous (I was born and raised in NYC, so crowds don't faze me; it's the fact that people take two steps, stop, and gawk at crap).

Yes, it's an enormous venue. However, there are boats, trucks, RVs, ATVs, fishing outfitters, taxidermists, and scores of 'other' vendors (jerky, household gadgets, flea market stuff, arts and crafts unrelated to the outdoors) there beside the hunt outfitters and hunting gear.

There are very few African outfitters, and probably 85-90% of those are from South Africa, looking for first-timers.

When I used to go, it seemed the bulk of the outfitters were offering Quebec caribou and/or black bear, Newfoundland moose, drop hunts in Alaska, white-tailed deer (mostly in Texas, Alabama, South Carolina, and Anticosti), public land elk at private land prices, wild turkey hunts, and a scattering of exotics.

The impression I got was that most of the hunts were low-priced with a low chance of success ('you should have been here last week'), or overpriced for what they were ($6000 for a National Forest elk hunt?).

While you may encounter charlatans at SCI and DSC, the quality of hunts offered tends to be much higher than at Harrisburg. The ancillary gear tends to be much better (but pricier) as well.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have attended DSC, Harrisburg, SCI and various ISE shows in the past few years. My favorite is always DSC.

The Harrisburg show is indeed huge. The booth space is generally small, and the isles narrow. It is a real chore even walking through the whole show in a day. I agree with most of the earlier comments. African outfitters tend to be from RSA and Namibia. There were few (if any) from Tanzania, Botswana, or Mozambique. Most were selling the generic plainsgame safaris. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It gets a lot of people interested in Africa.

There is a higher percentage of "tire kickers" and even ordinary "city folk" just bringing their family to the show in Harrisburg. Nothing wrong with that either, but they do tend to clog the aisles. It is an interesting show to see the variety of opportunities available to the blue collar hunter. I was (relatively) unaware of the plethora of game farm operations throughout the eastern US. They seem particularly well represented at this show.

If you live in the east, it is clearly the show to attend. I was in the area on business so extended my stay to take in the show. I have no need to go again, but am glad I did. The local Hunt Expo in SLC, and the DSC show are on my to do list every year.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I have gone every year forever and pretty much concur with what has been said here. The place is incredibly crowded, the aisles are jammed and there are mostly "tire kickers" as described. If you hate crowds, don't even think about going on one of the weekend days. I have always taken a day off work and gone, but that isn't possible for everyone. I will say this though, as far as African booking goes. There are a bunch of SA and Namibian outfitters there and they offer just about every type of special you can imagine. Some actually have a dry erase board where show prices are systematically lowered late in the show. If you are looking for a real SA combo hunt deal and want to talk to the outfitter in person, this might be worth checking out. If you are serious, my advice would be to check the online list of African vendors and do a little bit of advanced web homework before going just to see just how much a deal they are offering. Above all, wear comforable shoes!

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GL, the day to go is Sunday and be there when they open. For the first few hrs you can just walk around not crowded at all. Being in the area it is in most of the people are probably at church (maybe not dad but mom and the kids) and things do not get crowded until abou 1:00 PM. If you think it is bad now years ago it was $2 admin with kids free. I quit going as you could not move. When the price went up the vendors complained and I told a few that I knew it was the best thing that could happen for them because now it cost more than $4 for a family outing and reduced the overall crowd but less tire kickers. It is the 5&10 cent store for the outdoors vs Saks 5th ave SCI, DSC. There evev some outfitters and booking agents from down under and the UK.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've gone to the Eastern show a couple of times, it's only an hour drive from my inlaws home. It's the beer and pretzel crowd as opposed to champagne and caviar. One little lady who looked and sounded like Dr. Ruth only wanted to talk about hunting elephants even though she had other game listed on her brochure. One big gent from RSA was quite intoxicated and sitting on a cooler full of brews boasting of his prowess as a lion hunter. It's crowded and most of the attendees are bass fishermen and deer hunters.
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Mike , They actually try and keep all the call mfg. in one room. duck,goose ,turkey , varmint
can be entertaining for all of 10 mins then even us exhibitors want to shoot them.

They have a huge room for call dealers and manufacturers, sounds like Noah's Ark. One year there was a lone African PH from Zim who had booked late and was stuck in that room. He was one of the most miserable human beings I'd ever seen. CRYBABY

It's fun if you're not put off by crowds, and I'm going again this year. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
by my count there are at least 35 African operators at the show. Quite a bit for a state that mostly lives and dies by deer hunting.
I think that is up a fair bit over last year which i remember at 23 operators.

EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, guys, thanks for telling me about it, I just found out Harrisburg is about an hour away from State College (where I'm now confined), so I will try and make it to this show (I've never been to an outdoor show with outfitters before). If anyone wants to meet up or something, drop me a PM. I only have class on Tues. and Thurs. this semester, so I might just make a few trips out that way! Big Grin

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin01, I am going down on the first Sunday the 7th. Just run down 322 and it takes you right there. I just don't understand why someone from western Pa is at UPS.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
or at least severly mentally deranged. nilly

In what way would this differ from any other day?

It would become more apparent to the casual observer.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin, you're ninety miles from an interesting day. I've been going since it was only one room and that wasn't very full!
Like others have said this is a cross section of the real PA.
For those of us that live close, Sunday morning and days when there is a serious snow or ice storm are the days to be there.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great guys, I'll see you there, I will try to make it there the 1st day, as well, that way if I see anything I like, I'll be able to go back!

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin, and others - anyone think they might go on Monday? We'll probably visit my wife's nephew in Carlisle around then. He works Sunday, but I think I can get him away from his vegetarian wife Monday - he's always ready.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yes is it big, hell it is ginormous... Wendell there are a few Zim hunters there... The canned lion hunts can be dickered between agents and get the price down... There are alot of wannabe hunters there they have me outweighed by 3 to 1.. Deer turkey hunts are offered Did not know there could be so many deer and elk outfitters available pushing there hunts...
Friends of mine Wally and Bobby Hart from Hart barrels are always there...
Was there 5 minutes to late when they took out the RSA PH in cuffs by USFW agents trying to import illegal hides for some guys in Colorado...
Some of the large outfitters from Canada are there and ocean fishing guides and a ton of outdoor craft boats trucks quads and so on...

I go and inquire of the African hunts to see what they offer...
Saturdays are awful you will get to know what a sardine feels like in a can.
If I am correct the show draws over it 9 days hundreds of thousands...
It is held at the State Farm Show Complex

http://www.easternsportshow.co...=1867&appname=100280

I put in at least 2 days and this year might be 3 to 4 days since I made retirement dancing ...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a possibility I could be there on Mon., I'm not getting a room there or anything, but if I don't get to see everything Sun. I will be back someday that week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm working on setting up the trip, and will PM you if it looks like we'll be there - we probably will.

Retreever and DOJ - if you are going to be there, be happy to by you a round or two. It's the least we could do after the event you put on in Dallas.

Posts: 41 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been going to this show most years since my father first took me in the 60's.

I've booked every hunt I've ever gone on at this show including multiple hunts in Zimbabwe, Canada, Texas and yes I've been to the SCI convention where I didn't.

I've tire kicked with the best of them over the years.

The show is not hunting only and is heavily biased to North America. As to Africa outfitters there are a cross section of low to mid level plainsgame hunts offered including Tanzania. While I don't personally like the man, Jim McCarthy is at the show (Harrisburg is his home base).

Crowds have been down a bit from previous years but it is still rather full regardless.

The dates this year are 2/7 through 2/15. Don't go on the weekends if possible. Get your tickets in advance if possible. I don't know if the local Bass Pro Shops is doing a bus service again this year but it is a good option if you don't know the lay of the land as far as parking is concerned.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote