New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I attended the SCI meeting in Reno about 1.5 years ago and enjoyed the show however it was about 7X the cost to attend as the DSC.
I am a SCI and DSC member. The DSC actively recruits members to participate in the show. This includes helping the vendors and exhibitors cart in their exhibits, as well as security and working in the food courts.
This all helps to cut the cost of attendance and the cost to exhibitors. I do not know about Reno but in major cities like Chicago and LA at conventions you better have a wad of $20's and $50's if you want anything moved from the freight docks to your booth. Dallas is not like that. I and my son will be taking a few days off to assist with the freight logistics at the show. Looking forward to it! It takes about 2 days to get all the exhibitors moved in. There are 25 more exhibitors this year than last and I believe about 100 more booths so the individual exhibits are growing in size. They are taking in more space at the convention center this year.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EZ is correct in saying there will be more booths (almost 1100), we are adding another large section of the convention center so many exhibitors are adding booth space, there will be an additional food court and bar, arrangements have been made to allow exhibitor unloading inside the convention center and out of the weather, shuttle bus service will be much improved as all of the roads to the nearby hotels have been reopened. People like EZ and his son are very much appreciated by DSC for their volunteerism...we honestly couldn't do it without volunteers. I hope as many AR members that can will attend the convention...I'd like to meet as many of you as possible...I'll be there there whole time...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezridr,

you and your son are to be congratulated for your selfless service to the organization.

I think the difference is that DSC is just that. Dallas SCI members formed it, and it is almost a local phenomenon grown up. People live in the area, like you do. The members there are to be congratulated as well. I wish them continued growth and success.

NObody lives in Reno. I am lucky, I only live about six hours away and I like the drive. People would have to stay at hotels for about three days prior to the opening to help set up.

Goodonya...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich: We have about 400 volunteers that help with the convention, many of them are not local although most do live in Texas. A few of the exhibitors from Africa arrive a day or two early and some of the PH's help out when they can...their help is greatly appreciated. Also, many of the PH's volunteer to be a server at the Ladies Luncheon (mostly the young guys)that takes about 3 hours out of their booth time, but the ladies really enjoy it (the servers appear to enjoy it as well).We are an equal opportunity organization...anyone that wants to volunteer will not be turned away. Hope you can make it down here in January, it might be a little warmwer than Idaho.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would HAVE to be a little warmer. I hope to make it down there some day. Good folks from the ones I know, and I am a fool for good Mex-Tex food.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
eezridr,

you and your son are to be congratulated for your selfless service to the organization.

I think the difference is that DSC is just that. Dallas SCI members formed it, and it is almost a local phenomenon grown up. People live in the area, like you do. The members there are to be congratulated as well. I wish them continued growth and success.

NObody lives in Reno. I am lucky, I only live about six hours away and I like the drive. People would have to stay at hotels for about three days prior to the opening to help set up.

Goodonya...

Rich
that is exactly what i do every year in Reno to help a friend set up his booth.he and i haul his booth material over in a trailer from Fresno( about 6 hours drive) on Sunday afternoon behind my truck and unload it. luckily you can drive right in to the convention center and it is not yet crowded- damn good thing as the truck and trailer together are over 30 feet long and require a lot of manuevering room. set things up Mon and Tues to be ready for show opening on Wed. have to break everything down on Sat after the show ends and hit the road home Sun. makes for a full week.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are also to be commended.

This year I woke up three days with snow on the roof of the car. Driving to Vegas for two days of the SHOT Show and then cannonball run to Reno overnight sucked.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS, you ever run the Cannonball?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS: it is called TEX-mex here!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ,

if I said yes, there would be fourteen people wanting to see the nifty 11"x14" plaque they send you about four months later. It has a laser-etch 3/4 head on profile of the car with the two of you standing in at the doors and your finish place. Seven hours off the pace is nothing to celebrate, except not wrecking the car.
I have run the Three Flags Classic twice though.
1018 miles in 24 hours from Vancouver, BC, to Mexico.

Rich
Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran the One Lap back in 87, but we did not complete the race. We lost our power asst on the brakes comming off the Rockies between Glenwood Springs and Colorado Springs (we did do the Pikes Peak run) and lost about 12 hrs having to go to Golden Co to get parts and make repairs. I am sorry we didn't try to catch up but at the pace it was useless. It was the last time they started in Detroit. The next few yrs they ran from Long Beach Ca. and I think they only do a half lap now.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote