THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Frank Beller and Die Ou Jagter on safari in Zimbabwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frank Beller and Die Ou Jagter on safari in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted
Frank took a wonderful old "dagga boy" buffalo on the 4th day of his hunt, wearing the latest designer safari head gear, and not without too much adventure though, as witnessed by his loving wife Joyce and DOJ encouraging him from the safety of land - assisted by Richard Shultz, while he waded a croc and hippo infested river !

Die Ou Jagter bagged a great Chobe Bushbuck - adding another of these spiral horned beauties to his collection.

They are all on their way home - so I wont steal their thunder - as I am sure they will entertain you with their own tales of adventure.

Well done guys - it was fun hunting with you.

See you in Dallas !
Mark
To view the pics click here Frank Beller & Die Ou Jagter

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Glad to see our friends are having a great time.

We are 2 weeks short of our latest adventure, and the time seems to have stood still!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, Ed, Joyce,

Welcome back, looks like you had a great trip….can’t wait to hear the stories. Very nice old buffalo with lots of character and apparently you enjoy “wading for crocs”. I can understand the need for makeshift head gear at times while on safari but I’ll refrain from commenting on the color???

Ed, how big was the bushbuck and what caliber Ruger did you shoot?
Congratulations on a great hunt.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll just tag this string.

Saturday afternoon about 3:30 Mark said "Get your gear togeather we are going up the river to look for an Elephant for Frank or a Bushbuck for you". The troupe consisted of Mark, Rich, Frank, myself, Clever (tracker) and Jimmy (game scout).

We went about a mile or so up river seeing Hippos and crocs along the river and then someone spotted a very nice Chobe Bushbuck along the river, and the chase was on. Not only were there a nice ram but a female and a young ram along with a Waterbuck and a troupe of baboons. It was interesting to learn that bushbuck like to be near babaoons as the baboons are a very useful alarm system.

Rich put the boat ashore and he, Mark, myself, Cleaver and Jimmy started a stalk. Frank watched from the boat.

We had to be very careful as the baboons were alert to our presence, but not overly excited. We had a crossing wind which was away from the Chobe bushbuck ram but the female moved away with the wind and we were concerned she would get our scent and allert the ram. She looked at us but did not bark but just moved off slowly. The baboons were out in front of the bushbuck and at a distance at which they felt safe from us and were quiet.

We moved thru the bush slowly and quietly. Clever was on the track like a bull dog. Mark and Rich were reading the wind and keeping to the lea side. All of a sudden Rich set the shooting sticks and pointed to the ram about 60 yds away in the thick bush. I quickly moved to the sticks (set a bit low for me but so what you adjust) the Ruger #1 in 9.3X74R topped with a Leapold 2.5X8 (how is that for the commercial) came right into position and with a smooth squeeze of the triger the bullet sped to the shoulder of the Chobe bushbuck. The ram humped and bolted about 10yds.

He is a fine old ram with many facial scars and a very battered ear earned from many battles and he surely spread his genes along the Zambezi River.

Thanks Mark!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul our posts crossed, he measured 16 3/8 with nice big bases.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bushbuck and buff, indeed.

I can just imagine the stories ya'll have about this hunt and look forward to hearing many of them.

Welcome home.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Paul our posts crossed, he measured 16 3/8 with nice big bases.

Proper, great bushbuck.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding DOJ! tu2

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
good job you guys and welcome home...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome home to the three amigos. Pics and story soon we hope!!!

Keith

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got my story and pic. Smiler