THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Any suggestions for an outfitter for a cape buffalo hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for an outfitter for a cape buffalo hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day everyone,
To those who have hunted Cape Buffalo any suggestions for an outfitter for a cape buffalo hunt? What countries would you recomend and are any of them willing to guide someone using a handgun? Also what other species are available where you hunted?
I'm starting to plan a trip for next summer if all goes well and would like to take a buffalo with my Contender.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't go, don't do it. You will be ruined for life. You will not want to hunt in the Rockies again. Your wife will be mad all of the time instead of part of the time. You will need new rifles, you will need new clothes, you will need....

It is a disease, this hunting of buffalo. Don't do it or you will become an addict - like the rest of us. And there is no 12 step program that can cure you except the 12 steps onto the flight for Zim or Tanz or Bots or ........

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike
I would recommend HHK Safaris in Zimbabwe. I hunted with them in 2004. I know you can take a handgun into Zim, I took a 44 Mag.
Contact Graham Hingston at http://www.hhksafaris.com
Tell him what you plan to do and he will set you up in the proper area, ie where you can get a "handgun shot".

Another option is Brooklands Safaris. I will be hunting with them 31 days in March 2006, the PH is Dale Des Fountain. I know him.... he is crazy/sane? enough to do a handgun hunt.
I plan on shooting an elephant or two with a revolver. I haven't hunted with the company yet, but I have hunted with Dale on my deer lease. I like him. I will give a full report upon my return.... If I survive. thumb Big Grin

If everything goes perfect on this safari, I plan to shoot @ 10 elephants, give or take one or two.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I recall reading somewhere that it is not legal to bring handguns into Tanzania. Hopefully someone here can verify that.

Cheers,
Canuck

ps: sounds like a hoot!

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I used to think that handgun hunting was not allowed in Zimbabwe, but I know Mark Hampton has taken buffalo and elephant in Zim with a handgun. I believe that he had to get a special permit from the Parks Department.

Swainson's Safaris has a very good concession for buffalo, not much plains game (as is the case in most of the Zambezi Valley).

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I have been to Zim and Tanzania. I will go back to Tanzania as I felt it was an overall better experience.

It is true that you get what you pay for in this world and a hunt in Tanzania is more expensive (the daily rate is about 2x Zim but the trophy fees are generaly lower) but Tanzania is what I want when I go hunting in Africa. I hate to blast Zim as it is a wonderfull country with diverse wildlife and some very good PHs and opperators, BUT I don't want to see rampant poaching, burned out hunting concessions and hunt in an area where you see more squatters and snares than animals. Mad

I have hunted with USANGU safaris and am going back in 2006 for ele, leopard and more buffalo. They are one of the best and are not the most expensive.

As far as a handgun, I think handguns are not alowed in Tanzania, and I think that you can't hunt with them either, but I am not sure on this one. There is no law in Zim against handgun hunting however I believe at this time that they can not be brought in to the country.

Hope I helped

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
I have hunted with USANGU safaris and am going back in 2006 for ele, leopard and more buffalo. They are one of the best and are not the most expensive.

As far as a handgun, I think handguns are not alowed in Tanzania, and I think that you can't hunt with them either, but I am not sure on this one.
Hope I helped

handgun hunting is illegal in Tanzania, but never mind if you go with Honkey's recommendation, they will let you hunt with anything you want Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
In the past I have send some hunters to Tanzania and Zimbo and Namibia.I found Zambia was the cheapest and greatest place to hunt.Hunting there is not as manicured as at other places Best Cape Buffs always were in Zambia.Dunno yet about bringing handguns to Zambia, but Contender is either a handgun or a rifle, depends on what its barrell is mounted onto. We have imported one to Australia for a Water Buffalo hunt two years ago with all legal blessings.The same can be done elsewhere I presume. There is also plenty of other species which can be hunted in Zambia, the list is too long to quote it here. I work with Muchinga Safaris - John & Laura du Plooy and have repeated bookings with them from my clients.
Zambia will actually be the cheapest and most "natural" hunting destination these days.
Les Kosek, Terra Incognita Guides, Australia
lesterra@ozemail.com.au

Posts: 33 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
handgun hunting is illegal in Tanzania, but never mind if you go with Honkey's recommendation, they will let you hunt with anything you want Wink[/QUOTE]

Just curious... what are you implying?? Confused

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Give Ray a try @ http://www.atkinsonhunting.com/ He posts on this forum frequently. From what every one says he is a square shooter.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Would it be okay to hunt buffalo with a handgun if it was chambered in 45-70? lol nut

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
handgun hunting is illegal in Tanzania, but never mind if you go with Honkey's recommendation, they will let you hunt with anything you want Wink

Just curious... what are you implying?? Confused[/QUOTE]

Honkey,
The outfitter you recommended can "organise" handgun hunting in Tz....

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

Honkey,
The outfitter you recommended can "organise" handgun hunting in Tz....[/QUOTE]

I must be pretty dense (a product of the American schools) I still don't know what you are trying to say Confused

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would find a Tanzania outfitter that offered a 10 or 14 day buffalo hunt. I don't think TGT offers a buffalo only hunt. I'd try either Miombo Safaris or Danny McCollum Safaris. I have heard that George Angelides has given up on the Congo and if so, he may be able to get his old concession back in southern Tanzania. All of these outfitters have had excellent areas where you have a great chance to take a 40 plus inch buff on a relatively short hunt. There are good booking agents on this forum that can put you in touch with good outfitters who offer buff only hunts and also have areas that have trophy buff. You have to have both.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
If a handgun is your priority, Tanzania, Botswana and Namibia are out, you can do it in Zimbabwe, Mozambique or South Africa ... but I would cross South Africa off that list due to cost and not hunt "conditions".

Zimbabwe and Mozambique are the only two reasonable options I can think of. Which is not too bad!

Terry is right, you need a special permit from the Parks to do a handgun hunt. The outfitter would apply for this.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
My homework begins
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't take a handgun to Tanzania, if the Dutch in Amesterdam don't get you the Tanzanians will...You can get away with about any caliber or rifle, but handguns are strictly verbotten...

Our Tanzania 7 day buff hunts run $12,550 1x1 and $10,550 2x1 add days up to 10 at $1000 per day...This price is all enclusive of everything except $200 per rifle and optional tips, and extra buffalo can be had at $1600...plainsgame on quota can be shot for very reasonable trophy fees...

My Tanzania hunts run the same as my Zimbabwe hunts, after you add all the extra charges that Zim usually adds on like concession fees, airport pickup, charter flights etc.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray:
You replied to my email with Tanzania hunts but you made no mention of Zimbabwe. As I mentioned I am determined to make this happen somehow but with a handgun, so any specials or price lists in countries that allow handgun hunting would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Mike

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
mikehjd

Richard hunted with us ( ranch hunt ) in 2002 using a 500 Maximum hand gun made by Jack Huntington, CA with 525 grn hardcast @ 1500 fps

If you want a contact for Richard let me know and I will dig back in my files !!

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What´s the story with Brooklands nowadays? I tried to book with them three years ago and they all of a sudden just dropped off the face of the earth.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
What is you contender chambered in?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cewe
I am booked with Brooklands for a 31 day hunt March 2006 in Zim.
I will be hunting with Dale Des Fountain, PH.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with Ray's advice and book with Pierre Van Tonder in Tanzania. My wife and I just got back a few weeks ago. It was a terrific trip. (If I cna get a few spare minutes from work, I will post some pictures)

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
As a followup to Les Kosak's recommendation for Muchinga, you can find their info at:

http://safariconsultants.com/zamranch.htm

NE 450 #2's recommendation of Brooklands' info can be found at:

http://www.brooklandssafaris.com/

A longer list of PH's (where I found Brooklands) can be found at:

http://www.biggame.org/ProfessionalHunters/

[This isn't a recommendation -- just looked up the reference and I am sharing it]

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikehjd,
Sorry I did not realise the pistol part was that important..

I have a special 12 day Buffalo hunt Special in Zimbabwe for $15,550.00 that includes daily rate and trophy fees for 7 animals, One Buffalo, one Eland, one Kudu, one Zebra, one Wildebeest, one Impala, and a warthog...

Limited number of packages available. Pistols can be used..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am finding this rather amusing!

Any time some joker tries to pull your legs about hunting buffalo with a 45/70, so many people jump on him.

Now we are seriously talking about hunting buffalo with a handgun, and no one bats an eye lid roflmao

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67464 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am finding this rather amusing!

Any time some joker tries to pull your legs about hunting buffalo with a 45/70, so many people jump on him.

Now we are seriously talking about hunting buffalo with a handgun, and no one bats an eye lid roflmao

Now you are starting it!!!

roflmao roflmao

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Too many American Bison fell to .45-70 and related cartridges at remarkable distances to discount it; at the same time, its no stopper. Shoot, I've read some posters vehimently claim the .458 win was too poor as a stopper. But, I don't think I'd rule out the .45-70 as a hunting cartridge -- especially given the animals taken by bow. It has been too successful for too long. One of the problems is that some folks make outrageous claims for the .45-70, and then others get all hot and bothered, and shoot it down for what it isn't. The virtues of the cartridge are then left completely ignored.

In handguns, the .454 Casull performs about as well as a .45-70 in a handgun. But I think I'd feel pretty sad having to try to stop a charge with one... in my inexperienced opinion...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information everyone.

Saeed: Good comment but verry true isn't, with that being said I 'm assuming the PH will have a rifle handy as well as a friend of mine as long as this all works out.

Jarrod: The handgun I will be using is a Thompson Center Contender chambered in 375JDJ.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Just returned yesterday from a month in Zim.
Had a client hunting buff with a 45-70 TC.
Two buff, six bullets, four went clean through.
Too tired to give details just now. Will post all details in a few days.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mozambique is OK with hand guns. I can recommend Coutada ten.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

Honkey,
The outfitter you recommended can "organise" handgun hunting in Tz....

I must be pretty dense (a product of the American schools) I still don't know what you are trying to say Confused[/QUOTE]

Mich,

Even when said opponent is unconscious and lying against the ropes it is still your moral imperative to deliver the knockout blow...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.

How did we go from a 2005 post asking for a buff hunt to a handgun to a 45/70 in Zim to Mozambique and back to a dodgy handgun hunt?

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are confused. Wink

"He" (the original poster in 2005) didn't, others did.

Why they would post in a 5 year old thread is another question?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.................. just too confused....... bewildered nilly

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:
Just returned yesterday from a month in Zim.
Had a client hunting buff with a 45-70 TC.
Two buff, six bullets, four went clean through.
Too tired to give details just now. Will post all details in a few days.
i give up. why dredge up a 5 year old post? you think he is still looking for a handgun hunt?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13243 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. I had just the day before returned from a 27 day trip and had not slept much for a couple of days. Did not even look at the date.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of my posts here are really old..I got a call about this thread and several asked me what I had for a late season hunt, and would I post..

I have a 10 day cull hunt for 4 bull elephant, and 4 bull buffalo, all inclusive of "everything" but optional tips for a flat rate of $37,500. and you could split it between two of you for $17,750 each and that would be 7 days if two go..Lots of elephants and Buffalo. The hunt is in the Gokwe area..It is a cull so you cannot take trophys home with you and you would be required to shoot the bulls as the showed up.

Bulls run from 20 to 50 lbs. and buffalo are 35 to 38 on average, if you see a 70 pound elephant or a 50 inch bull you can shoot him...

For an additional $200 per day you could have it filmed professionally. Since I know someone will ask, yes the trophy fees, daily rates, transportation, pick up and delivery are inclusive.

Its not a hunt for everyone, but its a great opertunity to shoot some real big game, take pictures and have a heck of a hunt.

It is possibly the best deal I have seen in my years of booking if you can live without bringing stuff home.

The hunt is only for late Oct. 2010, to clean up the concession I suppose.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Some of my posts here are really old..I got a call about this thread and several asked me what I had for a late season hunt, and would I post..

I have a 10 day cull hunt for 4 bull elephant, and 4 bull buffalo, all inclusive of "everything" but optional tips for a flat rate of $37,500. and you could split it between two of you for $17,750 each and that would be 7 days if two go..Lots of elephants and Buffalo. The hunt is in the Gokwe area..It is a cull so you cannot take trophys home with you and you would be required to shoot the bulls as the showed up.

Bulls run from 20 to 50 lbs. and buffalo are 35 to 38 on average, if you see a 70 pound elephant or a 50 inch bull you can shoot him...

For an additional $200 per day you could have it filmed professionally. Since I know someone will ask, yes the trophy fees, daily rates, transportation, pick up and delivery are inclusive.

Its not a hunt for everyone, but its a great opertunity to shoot some real big game, take pictures and have a heck of a hunt.

It is possibly the best deal I have seen in my years of booking if you can live without bringing stuff home.

The hunt is only for late Oct. 2010, to clean up the concession I suppose.

Sounds like fun! Who is the safari operator?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I'll be the pain in the ass. You have not posted all the details of the hunt offering nor have you posted it on the right forum. An AR dinosaur such as yourself should know all this.

Love and kisses,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote