New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angola
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All, I was wondering if any one has hunted in Angola yet?? Got some info on buff hunts there and i am really keen to give it a go.Might need to take a big stick to poke the ground though Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need an itty bitty stick, big ones make them go bang

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought about it, but will wait a while before giving it any serious consideration. Ken Wilson had a booth at DSC, I think they were booking Angola and Uganda safaris. Don't know if there may still be a few land mines here and there. Confused

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
Don't know if there may still be a few land mines here and there. Confused

Land mines are usually placed in strategic positions such as around bridges, installations and borders.
But then again, you never can be 100% sure.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The land mine thing is more of a kind of legend. Angola is not open at the moment. Pls check with Wilson, I think they might encourage you to wait a bit.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
The land mine thing is more of a kind of legend.

A legend has it that there's between 10 to 20 million there. Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly ...

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by jaegerfrank:
The land mine thing is more of a kind of legend.

A legend has it that there's between 10 to 20 million there. Eeker

Maybe not that many, but I did a lot of time in Angola and I sure as hell wouldn't go for a bushwalk. Believe what you want. They're your feet.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
That figure is from UN Stats.
One million in Moz.

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Dear all,
Angolan authorities mention that hunting in Angola is not allowed but the truth is my hunting license is getting renewed every year.
I have got friends hunting north of Luanda, about 100Km mainly for impala but always running away from the fiscals.
A cousin of mine that is building a road close the Caprivi, keeps mentioning to me that very often sees herds with hundreds of buffalo.
Keeps mentioning that "giant" crocs kills cattle and people on a weekly bases on his farm, but the truth is that despite several promises never took me to the "crime scene".
I will take a week of in April and drive down to Cuando Cubango to find out what is going on.
Roger from Whittal Safaris mention to me that he has got a concession in the area, and i am welcome to visit them next year when camp is ready.
Will send you some pictures if any of you are interested.
Roberto killpc

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Did not misunderstood, just updated every one on Angola hunting status.
I can tell you that you will be surprised with level of turisme infrastrute in Angola.
There are less food shortage in Angola then in most African countries at the moment. we do not have Angolans fleeing the country to seek refuge in neighboring countries like in Zim.
I never managed to post pictures in the forum but i would like to share some with you on my last weekend in a lodge south of Luanda. You would say it could be anywhere in South Africa or Namibia.
Please, do not think i am defending my country, but only clarify any possible wrong perception of Angola.

ROBERTO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense meant Roberto, I really would like to visit Angola some day! From the pictures I have seen it is a beautiful country, and should have a lot of hunting potential. tu2

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Thank you RBHunt
My deram is too be able to hunt in my country some time, and bring some friends along.

Regards
Roberto

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Roberto,

I worked in Luanda for 3 months last year. I have been down to the Kwanza River.

Unfortunately did not get to see more of the country myself but some of the photos I have seen are stunning.

I hope that the airport situation will improve as its was no fun standing in a bundle for 3,5 hours in 100º F + heat just to get to customs control or the 3.5 hours on the way out to get to the check in point....

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Gerhard, thank you for your post.
Yes the new departure and arrival terminals are ready. Although small, it is very beautiful, but you can have the best facility in the world, the efficiency still be determined by human factor, and so far, we in Angola, still have a long way to go.
As i do not know how to post photos in this forum i will sending you some photos of crocs i took last week end in a close by river.
Sorry for long standing at immigration control.
Roberto

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roberto. As you mentioned it rodger that i have seen that has hunts there soon to be opened and i love the idea of doing something new as there is not much of that left and before it becomes way way out of my means like tanzania has. Cool

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Yes, Roger Whittall is in Angola now. This year he will be busy getting things up and running but will also be conducting a couple of hunts. Roger has told me a little about the area and it sounds fantastic - real wild Africa well removed. I can't wait to visit the area. I will be sure to post some photos and a report as soon as I can, probably much later in the year, once the exploratory hunts have been conducted.

Cheers, Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent about ten days in Angola shark fishing last March. We drove overland from Namibia .. lots of fun ... some lousy roads ... not once were we in any peril that I can remember. And what we saw was very beautiful. Only saw a pair of dik diks in all that driving, however. Big country, though. Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I remember reading some where there was approximately 25 & 30 million land mines deployed in Angola. Are they all gone????
I also remember reading in Outdoor Life magazine about the monster lions there in the early sixties. I did not make my first trip to Africa 40 + years later.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Land mines are still a problem in Angola, but extensive work as been done with international de-mining organizations and several Angolan ones.
Most mining fields are identified and marked, while de-mining is ongoing.
For several years we do not ear about people getting killed or hurt by mines, on this vast country of mine which is good news.
Roberto dancing

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Not a hunt report, but this is a great read: Angola

I have "visited" Angola and found the locals to be very friendly.

]

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there several tours during the war, so I cannot give an accurate report on current conditions. I hope things are improving, because about the time the Berlin wall came down, it ws one of the filthiest, most dagerous places I've ever been. I have never seen so many amputees dragging themselves about, prticualryly in downtown Luanda. I certainly hope something has been done to assist these unfortunates.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as its a risky hunt(and I don't mean the mines)I'm talking about the fact no one has hunted there yet so there is no real indication of trophies what would you call a "fare" daily rate Confused I was thinking that $400-500USD per day is fare. I would think that there should be a equal chance of loss if it doesn't work rather than paying a lot for a daily rate and the hunting is a bummer....whats everyones thoughts?????? bewildered

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Roger is charging $850/day for buffalo and more when you add Roan, etc.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no extra charge for land mine areas I take it?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah i got his price list Tim. If it was a proven thing then not a problem but when you are taking a risk as big as the outfitter i think the $1100 is a lot of coin....sorry... Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I honestly don't think the hunting is going to be a bummer. Roger showed me a lot of video of the area that they took on the ground and in a helicopter, and there sure looked to be a lot of buff and ele. The big problem I see is that a lot of what is there isn't exportable to the US because of CITES as of now. You know the first year or so there will be some bumps in the road, but it sure was a beautiful area that I would personally love to hunt.

ISS- you might want to tip a little more for the mines Big Grin.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim I know where you are comming from. Can't get elephant back here to Aussie,love hunt those buff but it was the sable,roan,sitatuinga(?) that got me going and thats what I dream of. so pictures of ele and buf are no plus really its the others i was worried about

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
zhaba - I agree. I wouldn't pay $1100/day for an unproven area either, but I do think it could be a grand adventure.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELL YES....there are so few new adventures in the world these days,apart from Russia and i am in love with russia far to much Big Grin need a pathetic reason to go back to the real Africa dancing

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Gents, agree with all above coments, but bear in mind that Luanda is considered the second most expensive city in the world, but the area we are talking about, borders with Namibia and this should not make daily rates go sky high. If it was towards north of Luanda (capital of Angola), yes, i agree that a primium daily rate should be considered.
As regards of trophy sizes etc., i am sure that most of us will be positivley surprise, once the first reports start to arrive at our computer screens.........
To be honest, mines would be at the bottom of my listof concerns, if i was going to book a hunt.

Roberto

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

To be honest, mines would be at the bottom of my listof concerns, if i was going to book a hunt.

Roberto

What would make the top of your list?? Eeker Wink

Don't get me wrong, I'm as interested as anyone.

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,

By priorities would be:

1 - Export of trophies
2 - Import of rifles

But, in Angola anything is possible.

Roberto