Find
Notify
Tools

PAC Elephant 101
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi folks,

I'm looking to enroll in the above course, or at least get the synopsis. I'll bet there are a few people here who can help. I'm starting from scratch on this subject. Where, when, how much and with whom is all a mystery at this stage.

I'm sniffing around for what will be my 3rd trip to Africa, likely in 2008. With a little luck, my second trip, booked for this June, will leave my basic wish list more or less filled. I'm looking at some things I hadn't really considered before. PAC elephant or a hippo on land come to mind.

One problem I see, is that because of some (positive) family upheaval and uncertainty that will take a while to sort out, I can't commit to anything at the moment. How far in advance do you have to book these things?

Any advice will be appreciated,
Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sign me up for the class!

I would like to hear more about it too.

Thanks

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dean,

First find an outfitter or safari company Ph to talk too...Ask availablity of a PAC ele and when is best time to go for them...What they will charge for daily rate to hunt the ele and trophy fee...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all outfitters have access to PAC elephant. The ones who conduct hunts in tribal areas tend to be the ones who can offer PAC.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz Carlton and his partner do PAC elephant, or at least they did last year. Do a search for his website.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As part of this discussion could those in the know tell us the difference between PAC hunts in Mozambique and Zim? Are there other countries that offer PAC hunts? I have been told that the Moz PAC hunts are "creative" in nature and would like to clarify that .

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Crane,

I was told yesterday that PAC hunts on Mozambique are illegal...This hunter was supposedto do a pac hunt in Mozsambique and was left stranded in Harare and no PH and no hunt...
Nobody met him...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THe Moz game dept sent out a letter mid 2005 declaring PAC hunts prohibited. Who knows if that will last or not.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
THe Moz game dept sent out a letter mid 2005 declaring PAC hunts prohibited. Who knows if that will last or not.

It is my understanding that many people simply choose to ignore the prohibition.

Carmelo Lisciotto
www.WorldShooter.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who?

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mitchell Attlewood:
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

It is my understanding that many people simply choose to ignore the prohibition.

I brought this up last year and it was discussed at length. Terry Carr was kind enough to post the Mozambique game laws. I recently corresponded with two Ph's regarding the PAC hunts in Mozambique and their report is consistent with what 500 Grains posted above. They do hope to have the prohibition overturned. I once asked a ph how they define a PAC ele, he said that in the bush in Mozambique any elephant not in the pot is a problem elephant! While many may ignore the prohibition I do not want to be the chap that they decide to make an example of. As much as a PAC ele hunt appeals to me, the prospects of spending time in an African jail is FAR less appealing!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote