New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington "Leopard"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
FYI Just got an email, his new book is out at Safari press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little bit pricey or am I behind the times.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Iv already have the book and have read 2/3 of it. It is very good. Yes, it is pricey at $150, but then I look at all of the books and the information that I glean from them as part of the cost of "doing Safari". In addition, it is limited to 1250 copies and all are signed by all three authors. The book is also slip cased. I would recommend it; although it does contain a few typos here and there. The pictures are wonderful and support the text quite well.

One of Us
Picture of Fulldraw Outdoor Media
posted Hide Post
Leopard
By Craig Boddington, Tim Danklef, Dave Fulson
(Mission Trails Media, March 2007)
In all my years of African hunting, no other species has provided more highs and lows than my pursuit of the African leopard, the most beautiful and possibly the most challenging member of the Big Five. Our new book Leopard is a joint collaboration with my partners Tim Danklef and Dave Fulson (producers of my Boddington On Leopard DVD) and is, without a doubt, the most in depth study on the history and hunting of this magnificent cat ever produced. After a great deal of thought and consideration, we have decided to offer Leopard only in this one time signed, and limited edition printing. Leopard will NEVER be reprinted neither in another limited edition nor trade edition, guaranteeing this book will become an instant collectors item. Limited to 1250 copies only, numbered and signed by all three authors. Leopard: 200 pages with over 150 color photographs, large format, embossed cover. This book features a custom presentation box including fronts piece of renowned artist Guy Coheleach’s “Tree Stand.â€
$150.00

It's also available on Craig's web site.

At fulldraw,
Tyge Floyd
Fulldraw Outdoor Media
"From Alaska to Zimbabwe...Have Cameras, Will Travel"

Posts: 142 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, up to this point, Craig has never produced a product worthy of $150. I'll wait

Ron

Posts: 47 | Location: Magnolia Bluff, FL | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post, I didn't know it was out. I need to get in and Buffalo on order. I have the Spiral horn book and it's great.

The only Boddington book I haven't liked is that Fair Chase book.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone from Metro NYC telling Boddington how to write and conduct himself. Just a little presumptuous I would say.

I've hunted with PHs who have hunted with Boddington. They say he's a super, stand-up guy. He acknowledges his own mistakes which puts him practically in a class by himself.

There are a lot of whores writing in outdoor magazines, he's certainly not the worst of them.

His book on Buffalo is dead-on.

A $150 book on Leopard; I'll pass. I personally have no interest in leopard. My choke-point for books is about $40.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

I have never read "Fair Chase", why did you not like it?

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Don't know Craig Boddington, though I've spent (like many others) a few minutes at a time with him at some safari events. But I do have three good friends who have spent a lot of time with him - one a neighbor of his in California, one a hunter who shared a leopard charge with him, and the other a PH. All three have nothing but good to say about his enthusiasm, sense of humor and his character, which seems to be way too much of the focus here. And he also makes some really great shots, which he dismisses. Though he well chronicles his misses and mistakes. I'd love to share a campfire with him. beer

$140 for a book on leopard is a lot. But the quality of the printing, binding and photos argue that it is a higher quality product than most. Think I'll surprise my wife with one.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Once again, it is limited to 1250 copies, all signed by all three authors and slip cased, with superb pictures. Once they're gone they will not produce another printing. Last time that I checked that is about par for books like that, that you purchase through Safari Press and others. By the way, now having read 3/4 of it, Boddington admits to a lot of screw ups in his book on Leopard. I too, have met him on a number of occasions, and in 2003 sat near and conversed with him, his daughter Brittany and her best friend, when we all flew back from Africa. And, like HT has said, he is a real gentleman, and not boastful at all. We all have our likes and dislikes. For me, I like, enjoy and respect Craig Boddington and his writings. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
i must get that book soon as its limited book, and i like Boddingtons writings and i have liked them for 10 years now since i started to read american guns&hunting mags

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Craigs writing, His "Safari Rifles" was the best I have read on the subject. He is a really nice guy in person and he has a wealth of experience behind him, something you can't say for some of todays gun scribes.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Ray, I agree. Craig has hunted in more places for more animals than any currently living hunting writer.

I think that guys like John Barness, Dave Schofield and the like are much better technical writers, but Craig does a good job "putting you there" that a lot of the technical guys miss out on.

There is a reason he is so popular, and it isn't because he sucks at his job.

When I buy a gun rag at the store that's the first thing I do is read the Boddington Article. Regardless of what he is writing about.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Craig Boddington is the best living hunting abnd gun writer we have now.Why does he write so much because no one else hunts and writes as much as he does.I have talked to him alot at shows and on chat room sites .He is a first class person and writer.I do like that he totally stands up for hunting and our gun rights.I wish he could run for political office.He need a leader among hunters and shooters.He is the strongest voice in our hunting community.He is more known than any other living writer these days and I like all of hois books and dvds.I am starting to get all of his books signed also.Nobody has hunted all the places like he has hunted and written about them.Yes there is more than one story to a trip.He is a very down to earth guy and can hunt in my camp any time.Dont knock the best guy we have for gun and hunting rights.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know C.B. either until I fell into a safari with him and Chifuti in '04 (his first with Chifuti). That was when they were filming "Boddington on Buffalo". I was a little apprehensive considering his great reputation. Turned out to be a generous, down to earth guy that was great to share a fire with. About the book: The most I have ever paid for a book is about $60 but since I have three photos in the book I had no choice. Beyond that, they think the book will rise in value (as many African books have) over time as it is a limited edition.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want a book cost is not an issue.I have pay $500 and more a few times for books that I really wanted.They are not just books they are investments.One of my book dealers friends had a bunch of books they flew to france to sell they were $38,000-$60,000 books.I am weary of books over 100 years old .You have to watch the way you handle them and store them.I have a ton of Africa books and I am having to reduce them from the 30 year collection down to about 100 books.I love going to the same places that these books talk about.I have Retraced Elmer Keiths ,Russell Annabels and a few more writers steps.Its even funner to meet the people who knew them.Craig Bodding is a class act.He should be the spokes man for Hunting and gun rights.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote