New
Find
Notify
Tools

what makes a trophy buffalo???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
im kinda new at this place and was wondering what makes a trophy dagga boy??

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My preference in a Trophy Buffalo is an old gray faced hard Boss bull .
Preferably hunted away from the big herds.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I second the above and am a believer in Kevin Robertson's message: do not be tempted to shoot the younger bulls with the long horns and softer bosses.
Those animals cannot head-butt and fight to breed, so have simply not passed their genes on to the herd. Rather sacrifice some length for age (and character) and do your bit for the conservation of the herd genetics at the same time.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard boss, tight curl...It's a Cape Buffalo, NOT a Texas Longhorn...

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard boss, deep curl, spread is secondary.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
glad to see the responses here ! hard boss which means no soft grey skin at the edge of the hor and a nice clean line where the horn ends and the skin starts ..NO hair on the tops of the hiorns , in some cases a strip of skin with hair on it between the horns though ...

dont be chasing width , a good curl on a big boss bull with get you just as many inches on sci scoring anyway.

one thing with buff is that the hunt is great , you will be among them every day in a good area and will have the opportunity to select , that makes the hunt as important as the trophy ...hold out for a solid boss bull ...you wont regret it ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yzm19

A trophy buffalo as others have said has to have a hard boss. An old buffalo with a hard head and a 33" spread is a trophy and the experience of hunting him will be exactly as exciting as if he had a 45" spread. Of course there are areas were you can expect old and wide.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
An old buffalo with a hard head and a 33" spread is a trophy . . . .

Mark, I have one like that on the wall of my trophy room. thumb

Needless to say, I agree with the other posters on this thread. Old and hard.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What makes a trophy buffalo??

Simply, the hunt itself.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I disagree with everyone except post driver.

It is the experience. All the rest is secondary. Wink

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Wendell. Funny thing is that Wendell has had way above average luck on buff starting with his first trip over the big pond. The point is that the experience is the primary trophy and then you look for maturity. From what I know of the guys who have already posted, they wouldn't disagree much if at all. Big Grin

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope to find out for myself one day. My son and I are planning our first safari next May (plainsgame) but I already catch myself thinking about buffalo more and more frequently. By the way, I agree with what everyone else said.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
Heres the one that wrenchmaster plugged in the Selous Sept 14

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice boss on that one Steve. Was the big crease on the shoulder from a bullet, cat scratch or what?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
PH said it was from a lion and wasn't more than 48hrs old.The bullet hole is right on the point of the shoulder. He felt that the lions might not be far off. We already had one buff in the truck and left the back half for the lions.

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is the experience. All the rest is secondary. Wink

How come all the guys that say that are always the old timers who already have the biggest trophies hanging on their walls?

sofa

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yes a dagga boy an old buf is a great trophy...
But when you look at the hunt from the beginning to the end, tracked him for miles and kept the wind right and you close up the distance to yards and you smell the buf and you postition for the shot that is your trophy..
Here is mine...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Ivan, sorry for hijacking your picture but this one would do it for me.Big Grin

Character character character. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Buffalo is like woman you either like boobs or you like their backside if you get both what a bargain its all about the hunt and experience.

the only difference is you can hunt many Buffs and it is cheaper than woman banana lol

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Yes a dagga boy an old buf is a great trophy...
But when you look at the hunt from the beginning to the end, tracked him for miles and kept the wind right and you close up the distance to yards and you smell the buf and you postition for the shot that is your trophy..

Agree,
And the Buffalo has fooled you up high in a Kopje, and just waits for you to come, he charges from above from a distance less than 15 meters and you shoot him at 6 paces, he change direction a bit and passes between yourself and a tracker, the gap is less than 2 paces, he goes down because of the wounds your .404 Jeffery has made to him, but comes up again and are attempting a second charge, but one finish him off with a brain shot...

The so called "Throphy quality" becomes irrelevant -It is the HUNT that counts!

The Klipspringer Buffalo of Senuko, Save, Zimbabwe, November 2007;

Merry Christmas

Mats

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to a good hunt/stalk as my first priority and then good bosses followed by drop and curl....... but even the biggest Buff in the world, isn't a good trophy without being taken the right way.

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
thumb safari hunt , i agree ...also agree with you shakari ...its actually the difference between hunting and shooting ....

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote