THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Should your projectile exit or remain inside?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should your projectile exit or remain inside?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was this a killing shot? Are Mobile homes considered big game when hunted with a dodge pickup?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, but only with DODGES

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ,,,,,I hope that's not your new Cummins sticking out of the trailer.........??

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
It looks as though there was either insufficient speed, or too low sectional density for complete penetration.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Now that is an innovative way to make trailer trash.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Obviously, a Dodge truck is unstable in flight, which causes an excessive amount of yaw, preventing the Dodge from having complete penetration.

There is also a velocity limit associated with Dodge trucks. If he had only been going 5 mph it would have had complete pass-through.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
shoulda got the Hemi!

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the angle of penetration, there was too much yaw on that Dodge, yawl.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SDgunslinger, Nope that's not my new Cummins This one is a Hemi. That according to my friend who sent the photo to me. Maybe with the additional 1500 pounds of Diesel it would have gone clean through? Or maybe just hiting a bit to the left would have been easier?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ,

Obviously the lack of penetration was due to poor SD, and velocity that was too low. This is explained by doing a closeup of the license plate, it say's 4570 GOVT

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well , the sectional density of a Cummins is way better than a Hemi , that's for sure.

I've noticed some of your posts on the Dodge diesel site , JJ . You seem to be very happy with your truck so far.

I have a '97 Cummins with 195,000 miles on it . Still goes down the road like a new one . You made a very good choice , the Dodge Cummins is an exceptional pickup truck .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

They used to say that the 16" batteries of the Iowa class battleships fired a projectile having the weight of a VW. Guess this was the "heavy per caliber" load ... and a bit too heavy at that!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm bett'en their would have been a lot more blood if that projectile had come out the other side...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm bett'en their would have been a lot more blood if that projectile had come out the other side...

LOL

If that was the case I can read the magazine article now:

"I don't know how a Dodge triple shock looks after encountering trailers as I have yet to recover one." Or. "As far as I know that projectile is still bouncing across the trailer park."

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Base on the photo, I don't think that the truck penetrated to the vitals. It looks like a surface wound to me. I would not want to go after a wounded mobile home. Could be dangerous.

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Note to self:

Check brakes and steering on pickup.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Judging by the tie-down chains, that baby came right of the truck. That would make it a slingshot, wouldn't it? No wonder it didn't penetrate!

Wonder what the retained weight was? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
How do we know that wasn't going in reverse and that it did exit?

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the driver, was she OK ?

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again I am proven correct. These new trucks have plastic grill work and as I have said over and over...........most of these plastic tipped projectials just won't penitrate. It's a Dodge, and not a Swift or one of the new hornady innerbonds.

TOLD YA!!!!!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hey, the didge didn't penetrate because (poster above) said it's just like a BT... plastic nose.

wonder what the expansion and retaned weight was, minus the seat stains, of course

jeffe

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Obviously this truck came from a lever action road and demonstrates once again the lack of velocity need to get the job done. Most likely the PH had to put the trailer down with his Land Rover!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Controlled expansion version of the new Dodge Pickup. I felt it was with the additional "metal work" to protect my cummins diesel!

not one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread reminds me of the age old question to ask a woman.
"Do you want me to shoot in your mouth or on your face"

Posts: 451 | Location: no where | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your Dodge is definitely a controlled expansion unit and would completely penetrate that mobile home, maybe taking out another as it exited.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this shot was too high to take out any major plumbing.

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After much thought I have determined that the truck is too short and that negates penitration thus you have wounded a house, but it can be repaired...About what I have come to expect from a 400 gr. bullet in a 45-70!

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote