Find
Notify
Tools

Born Free
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
I had a phone call from a lady a few months back and she stated that her husband was coming to hunt buffalo with me. Last time I had hunted her husband Julius was for Sitatunga some six years back and it was tough for him then as we stalked on foot and he stated that this was to be his last hunt in Africa.

However his desire had preceded his age and this is what he wanted to do.

Being just shy of 80 this was going to be a difficult one but where there is a will there is a way. Tough indeed it was and after 6 hours on the tracks of some good bulls he slipped in an elephant hole and tore ligaments in his leg and I fucked my back doing something stupid. I called in a good friend and renowned PH Leon Kachelhoffer to give us a hand and to bring in some pain killers. He arrived same day and with his bed roll and three bottles of Scotch in hand.

It was agreed to give Julius a couple of days off to recuperate but he did not and we needed to make a plan as the lone bulls were wary and walking many miles from their drinking places. Leon would walk lengthy distances to find where they lay and we would join him by car in order to close the gap. It was concluded that with support Julius could walk approx 200 metres and that is what we had to play with.

Leon was very determined to get the old man a buffalo as this very probably will be his last.

The conclusion was 4 bulls lying in the shade of an anthill and supported by stick and had Julius inched in. He started in great pain but as the adrenalin kicked in his pace quickened. To cut a long story short the first bull a terrific droopy specimen broke cover and puffing and grunting angrily tried to sniff us out. Much that we urged he did not take the shot and this opportunity was lost in the long grass. The second buff burst out and presented a perfect broadside opportunity which Julius took. This animal immediately charged and covered 50 yards before you could say it. Another shot from the .375 did nothing to deter this buffalo but a couple of shots from some heavy doubles literally bowled the buffalo over. Believe it or not the .577 knocked the buff back a bit.

Leon and I shook hands on a job well done.

For Julius a fenced buffalo or a cow was not an option and he wanted to be on his feet in the wild with creatures that were born free. He had set himself a standard.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Well done to all three of you.

Leon is going to have another old man in a couple of weeks. Hope we see you then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I had a phone call from a lady a few months back and she stated that her husband was coming to hunt buffalo with me. Last time I had hunted her husband Julius was for Sitatunga some six years back and it was tough for him then as we stalked on foot and he stated that this was to be his last hunt in Africa.

However his desire had preceded his age and this is what he wanted to do.

Being just shy of 80 this was going to be a difficult one but where there is a will there is a way. Tough indeed it was and after 6 hours on the tracks of some good bulls he slipped in an elephant hole and tore ligaments in his leg and I fucked my back doing something stupid. I called in a good friend and renowned PH Leon Kachelhoffer to give us a hand and to bring in some pain killers. He arrived same day and with his bed roll and three bottles of Scotch in hand.

It was agreed to give Julius a couple of days off to recuperate but he did not and we needed to make a plan as the lone bulls were wary and walking many miles from their drinking places. Leon would walk lengthy distances to find where they lay and we would join him by car in order to close the gap. It was concluded that with support Julius could walk approx 200 metres and that is what we had to play with.

Leon was very determined to get the old man a buffalo as this very probably will be his last.

The conclusion was 4 bulls lying in the shade of an anthill and supported by stick and had Julius inched in. He started in great pain but as the adrenalin kicked in his pace quickened. To cut a long story short the first bull a terrific droopy specimen broke cover and puffing and grunting angrily tried to sniff us out. Much that we urged he did not take the shot and this opportunity was lost in the long grass. The second buff burst out and presented a perfect broadside opportunity which Julius took. This animal immediately charged and covered 50 yards before you could say it. Another shot from the .375 did nothing to deter this buffalo but a couple of shots from some heavy doubles literally bowled the buffalo over. Believe it or not the .577 knocked the buff back a bit.

Leon and I shook hands on a job well done.

For Julius a fenced buffalo or a cow was not an option and he wanted to be on his feet in the wild with creatures that were born free. He had set himself a standard.

that is a standard and will not be easy to go over that for sure.

thanks for the story ...

i only guided a guy that was 75 so it was really his junior but we walked a little more ...

Phil

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, congratulations to you, Julius, and Leon for a job well done. It is quite the inspiration for us all to see the grit and determination of an individual such as Julius. Well done, Andrew!

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Well done and congratulations to everyone involved! Thanks for sharing this inspirational hunt with us.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice my friend, that hunt had to be very very special, big congratulations to the hunter, what a memory!

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Cheers, Andrew. Glad you sorted out a Buff for the gentleman. beer

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Persévérance pays off nicely. Well done Andrew... hope your back is on the mend.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Julius is one tough hombre!
My hat is off to all 3 of you.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awesome Andrew. Very well done, and congrats to all of you.

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Andrew, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing that.

I have been fortunate to take a couple of old guys duck hunting the last few years. These guys are pushing 80, former college footballers, and we have so much fun, I drive like a madman in the dark in the marsh, they scream like kids wen we turn before running out of water, and we drink coffees and watch the sun rise over a marsh.

One of the old guys that schooled me in my younger days - I asked him -

"T, why you doing this? You don't need me to take you or go with you."

He said - "Because Mikee, if I don't give something to you now, who gonna take me when I get old?"

I didn't forget those wise words. And I still love the marsh in the morning.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and trophy - congrats to you and your hunter. Hope I'm doing as well at ~80.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, it was a special experience and I was really privileged to be apart of such a special hunt.
Julius is such a gentlemen and never complained or squeaked once! The going was tough on my out-of-shape frame, couldn't imagine what it was for Julius!
So much respect for Julius to be out here following his passion for being out in the bush and battling the elements! When he saw the buffalo he seemed to float rather than stumble over the rough ground, bad leg and all!

MikeBurke you're next Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Very inspiring indeed, congratulation to everyone involved.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Persévérance pays off nicely. Well done Andrew... hope your back is on the mend.

It is and I had to get my son Ryan to help me out with the first buffalo.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True grit! Very well done to all Fairgame.

I shared a camp with Leon (Wowo)in Tanzania. A top notch hunter and all around great guy indeed.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Played.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most excellent

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Such an inspiring hunt and story. My hats off to both you gentlemen. True grit. I hope his knee ligaments and your back heals quickly. See you soon.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had hopes to hunt with Leon this year but it did not work out. Very glad it did for you guys. Congrats Fairgame and Hunter.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Great hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Andrew! What a hunt.

If you see Leon again, tell him to get in touch with me. I am hunting with him in September, but have not firmed up the dates yet. I have been trying to reach him, but unable to. Been out hunting I suppose.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job. Torn ligaments makes it a tough hunt. Congrats on getting it done. Nice buff. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, Andrew!!!! Love this story, I can really identify! Congrats to you all!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I would have thought some would have disagreed and lamented that this chap must pack it in but then what can you do with sort of desire?

Must say it was the first time I have hunted with Leon and he is a cracking PH and character.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, you calling someone else a character really raises the bar to meet the description of a "character" :-) Well done.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great story & true spirit of hunting & human camaraderie.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Andrew, you calling someone else a character really raises the bar to meet the description of a "character" :-) Well done.

And they used Blasers. Old ones that worked.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wise sportsmen, they :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Amazing what can be done when everyone involved works together and makes things happen. Well done.

I have to say I love the looks of so many of the bulls you take there Andrew. Just excellent trophies any which way you slice it.

tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Amazing what can be done when everyone involved works together and makes things happen. Well done.

I have to say I love the looks of so many of the bulls you take there Andrew. Just excellent trophies any which way you slice it.

tu2

You should have seen the first brute that broke cover. Even my man from Tanzania was impressed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Stuff Gentlemen. Congratulations all round.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha Andrew,
I was very impressed with Royal Kafue!! What a great great area to hunt totally wild country where you can bump into anything. Reeduck the likes of which I've never seen in an area! I was surprised as it was full moon and still saw a lot game reedbuck and a bunch of other species.
Cats tracks EVERY single day!! Two different fresh lion kills in three days, a reedbuck and a eland cow!!
I cannot say enough of the area but above all what Andrew and few dedicated community members managed to achieve and all in five short years.
From FOUR puku to almost FIVE HUNDRED!
The buffalo hunting here in boss!
Royal is shining example of what can be achieved with unwavering passion, dedication and commitment to make a absolute success of a project of this nature, against and despite the odds. Hunters must know that booking a hunt with an initiative like Royal Kafue they are greatly contributing to conversion of these remaining wild areas.
Very comendable job Andrew!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

Oh thank God for that.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote