THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    So just watched death rush and it was interesting.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So just watched death rush and it was interesting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought the film was entertaining even though some lines were kinda cheesy and repeated way to many times. I thought the up close hunting was pretty cool. I noticed that the hippos were much more inclined to charge than the cape buffalo. It seemed the Buff only charged when wounded while the hippos came at them just form getting some dirt kicked there way. Maybe they should be called grey death.

My question is, is it normal to find so many hippos on land during the day? It seemed they were on land more than the water which I thought was not normal for the species. Is it the area? or during drought time? And the buff seemed way more skittish than the hippos.

My other question was that I know he like to get as close in as possible for the kill, but in the one elephant hunt in the video they shot it from like 50 yards away. I was under the impression that elephant hunting was done at very close range for a brain shot. So why did they shoot him from so far away when they could have gotten close up which is what he likes to do.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In some areas, many hippos like to go in the forrest close to the rivers and lay down in the shade to sleep.

We have had occasions where we could hardly walk by the rivers bank without scaring literally dozens of hippos every day.

The funny part was, despite the fact we were getting to with 5 yards sometimes without being detected - or us detecting them - we never had any charges.

I have only shot about 20 elephants, all brain shot.

Distance varied from about 20 yards to a measured 55 yards.

The idea is to get as close as you can, without being detected, and still make a killing brain shot.

Sometimes one gets in relatively thick bush, and the distance is dictated by what is in the way, to get a clear shot at the brain.

The one I shot at 55 yards was late in the afternoon, right in the open, and we were worried he might detect us and make a run for it.

Elephant at 55 yards

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Must be very exciting and scary to stand that close to an angry elephant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick (Pagosawingnut ) and I hunted hogs and birds with Mark Sullivan last year. We discussed his methods of hunting. He told us he has the entire range of clients. On the extreme ends of the range are those who want to be Rambo and those who are terrified.

Perhaps this client fell near the end of the range.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The idea is to get as close as you can, without being detected, and still make a killing brain shot.

]

tu2

That´s how I see hunting ought to be performed too.

We can all find a rifle that can kill a bluewhale at +1mile but the element of hunting is left out.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That must be a mighty large rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice shoot on that elephant by the way