THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    which safari? on the horns of a dilemma

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which safari? on the horns of a dilemma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am torn; I cannot decide which to go for:
1) Tuskless elephant with charlton mccalum
2) 2 buff safari with Mark Youngs outfit in tanzania
3) Trophy bull elly with Vaughn Fulton

I already have shot buff and elephant, i just hunting elephant and /or buffalo. I have not shot leopard.

To make things more difficult, I am going to take my 2 sons 14 and 16 as observers, and if things deteriorqate further in Zim, my better half will certainly forbid that!

I am open to any other suggestions also, but I need to book soon, before the conventions start.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's not a dilemma...that's a beautiful problem to have. You list 3 very different but very nice hunts to consider. Buff in TZ are something everyone should do...tuskless in the jesse bush are unforgettable and will either scare you silly or ruin you for all other hunting...ele with Fulton would be in the Caprivi which is a very different kind of place and the really big bulls from Bots go through there.

I won't attempt to tell you what to do but I would consider doing whichever one is quite different from the rest of your experiences. Having said that, you can't ignore the leopard forever.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Paper, scissors, rock, paper, scissors, rock . . .

You can't go wrong.

Mike

Posts: 21459 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
What a great dilema.

While I think a lot of Buzz and crew, I'd drop that hunt compared to the other two.

Adam Clement's area of Masailand is one of the best for buffalo and that would be a great hunt depending on the time of year. The boys would see some great animal life and plenty of culture. Hard to top.

Then again, a trophy bull elephant in Namibia would be a top of the line hunt. That portion of Namibia is wild.

Both of the latter hunts scream old Africa.

Personally, I'd do the trophy bull elephant.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and will either scare you silly or ruin you for all other hunting

Or scare you silly at times and in the end ruin you for all other hunting.

If I was going alone, I'd put the $'s involved in the trophy bull hunt or the two Tanz buff toward a multi tuskless and PAC bull hunt in Zim with Buzz and company.

But with two sons the age of yours I'd sign up for the two buff hunt in Tanz. (And let them wack the buff.)

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple - do all three and then decide.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All THREE DUDE!!!!!!!

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Tough choice. All three top quality safari companies, but I am with SBT, drop the tuskless and pick one of the other two. Not because of the company because CMC Safaris has a stellar reputation. I just don't see the tuskless in teh same class with the other two.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Indlovu,

Given the fact that you are taking both your sons and I'm sure you'll want them to participate as fully as possible you might want to reconsider your choices. Being in heavy cover pursuing elephant and buffalo with two kids doesn't sound good to me because if things get dicey you may be distracted from the task at hand by your concern for the boys' safety.

A leopard hunt on the other hand would let everybody get in on the hunt as long as they could sit still in the blind and you would have more control over the action.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12954 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering that you will have your 2 young sons with you i would avoid the tuskless hunt. CMC are very good and are a top class bunch BUT a tuskless hunt is IMHO the most dangerous hunt in Africa - all things being equal. I have a son and until he is more experienced and comfortable i will not take him with me on high pressure DG hunts. 2 Buff in TZ sounds like a fantastic hunt and an awesome way to introduce your boys to DG hunting in Africa. For me that is the one to go for. Like the others have said ; what a great dilema to have!!!

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a Leopard with dogs would be great with your sons. Get to see the Tom and judge it in the day, the sound of the hounds. Setting in the blind could be very hard on two young men full of energy but running after the hounds will take the P*ss and vinger out of them. Big Grin Norm Crooks does a great job with the hounds either in Zim or Namabia.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The idea of leopard with dogs is a good one for a group like yours.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can swing a trophy Elephant than you can swing a buffalo and plainsgame hunt in Botswana. The Okavango Delta would be an unforgettable experience for your sons and if you do some plainsgame at a ranch, your sons could participate at a fairly low cost.
Just my 2 cents, but you don't have a loser in the bunch.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Having taken my sons to several countries in Africa, both solo and together, it is my opinion that what you are hunting is less important to the overall satisfaction of the trip then where you are hunting, and who with. Having been-there-done-that, I am sure you have a great knowledge base to work from already, so please forgive me if I state the obvious...

Whatever you do, select a big game area where one can see and interact with lots of animals (some good ele areas can be many more humans then animals). A tented camp is terrific, as is being along a river. Interaction with local people adds an educational and eye-opening element to the trip (and helps seal the deal with Mom!). Having a "cool PH" who the boys can relate to, and vice verse, is important as this takes some of the heat off of you (not every PH meets this criteria). Make sure to visit a school if possible, and have them meet the class and teachers. Make them keep a diary/log, and get them a camera to take their own picts. I agree with the statement that you need to keep them moving and preferably have multiple activities available. Go for at least 10-days, and preferably 14+. I could go on and on… Just recognize, as I am sure you have, that there will be compromises, but in the end it is the time with your sons, and them with you and each other, that will be the greatest trophy.

I did my leopard hunt in the Caprivi Strip with one son, and the blind was too tedious so he either hung out with the Bushman trackers waiting a few miles away in the truck, or went fishing with them (note that in all hunts, my boys were greatly impacted by the trackers, and speak of them often). They were able to participate in an tracking elephant bull hunt, and I would not hesitate to take one or both after tuskless + something else, just not in the early season when the bush is thick. Someplace in the Zambezi Valley would be great. Buffalo tracking can be a lot fun, and either the Selous or Masailand (or the Okavango, which I have not been to yet) would be super. Some fun-hunting for plainsgame - and bird shooting and fishing - adds real excitement to the trip and can break up the monotony of too much tracking or time in the truck (note they will be on the back w/the guys, which can be mind-numbing, and they will put in many long days).

Regardless of where you go or what you hunt, Africa is a great place to take teenagers, as by default it allows for a real adventure…a shared experience on neutral ground with few distractions. It is going to be great! Email if I can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Bill

PS: This just might have been my "hunt of a lifetime": https://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/600105803

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Tough choice. All three top quality safari companies, but I am with SBT, drop the tuskless and pick one of the other two. Not because of the company because CMC Safaris has a stellar reputation. I just don't see the tuskless in teh same class with the other two.

I have to say that you're right, but that is because, imo, it is in a better class so far as the actual hunt.

But I wouldn't take a couple of young sons along, it can get too hairy. Thats what makes it such a great hunt,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my choice would be Tanzania for buff. If you can get some pg thrown in, even better. There is nothing boring about stalking buff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! I think 2 buff in Tanzania gets the nod; the caprivi hunt would be great, but not a lot of PG for the boys, I understand.
Any personal experience with multiple buff safari in tanzania?

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote