Find
Notify
Tools

Kilwa Hunting Blocks Tanzania.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted
Does anyone have any experience in these blocks? Was wondering what to expect hunting there. Is the game plentiful? Any decent Buffalo?

thanks for the info,

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
I hunted there twice, 2007 and 2008.This block is no bad for buf, but hunt is hard.For buff hunt there need to have good phisical condition.Average trophy buff 36-38" ,40' is fantactic for Kilwa.Kilwa has a lot of hartebeest,zebra,eland(exellent trohy there) kudu,and wildebeest.Leopard is everywhere.Lion there is no few but wihtout good mane.Poaching is no rare too.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
Thanks GDF for the info. What time of year did you hunt?

Anyone else? Most of the time you Tanzanian PHs have all the answers, I'm guessing these aren't your hunting blocks Roll Eyes

Posts: 171 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
2007 I had two week hunt in November.2008 I was there 21 day in September(very successfully).

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
GDF,
What safari company did you hunt with? Did you see many elephant
in Kilwa? If so, any big ones?

Tanz2007,
Are you going to Kilwa this year? What company are going with? What
is/are going to be your priority animal(s)?

Sorry for all the questions, I've looked strongly at going to Kilwa
& heard it was a very good elephant area.

JB

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
I hunted with JML Safaris.This company showed good outfiting, but I can't to get my last hunts trophies , their trophey shiping and clearing is terrible.Kilwa has a lot of ele, but I have never seen shootable bulls there, thogh my aims there were cats. My fellow hunted there 21 days special for ele unsuccessfully.However just before my lust hunt ,Spanish hunter took there nice bull, but his main aim was leon (unsuccessfuly).I held tuscks that bull, beutefull long ivory, 54 56Lbs. I thinck Kilwa isn't best place of Tanzania for ele, but chance is possible. Best time for Kilwas ele is July and November.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt with JML Safaris.This company showed good outfiting, but I can't to get my last hunts trophies from , their trophey shiping and clearing is terrible

There are many storys about lost payments when sending money... and therefore no sending of trophys. I would be careful with this company.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tanz2007, I don't think I would go to Kilwa for elephant. Are you a PH? or client?

Posts: 57 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcdjph:
tanz2007, I don't think I would go to Kilwa for elephant. Are you a PH? or client?

Sounds like tanz2007 is a resident hunter and
he was asking about the quality of buffalo - from Arusha to Kilwa is a helluva distance - the best buffalo are closer to Arusha!

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Dar its probably a good place to go for buff, nothing big there 40 is huge! but I have heard if your looking buff you'll be ok.

One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
From Dar its probably a good place to go for buff, nothing big there 40 is huge! but I have heard if your looking buff you'll be ok.

I took two nice dugga boys 40" 42" in Killombero(litle bit far from Dar than Kilwa)last season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G D F:
quote:

I took two nice dugga boys 40" 42" in Killombero(litle bit far from Dar than Kilwa)last season.

Kilombero is restricted to tourist hunting and with you coming out of Moscow might have been a client with
MS (no, not Mark Sullivan) or WFWink
Kilwa Open(3 blocks)on the other hand tends to have residential hunters also using the area and if there are paying clients hunting at the same time hunting through registered outfitters, can and often give rise to a 'gnashing of teeth'.

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
I was asking for someone interested in leasing the blocks. I am just a resident hunter and like kibokolambogo said I will look for buffs around Arusha Smiler

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
can and often give rise to a 'gnashing of teeth'.

I try to avoid any teeth gnashing up here around Arusha and I know better than to ask where the animals are as a resident hunter. Most of the time resident hunters are not very welcomed to hunt, understandably so as many resident hunters are just poachers with a permit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanz2007:
[QUOTE]can and often give rise to a 'gnashing of teeth'.

This can be sometimes avoided by contacting the company before going into the block!

If this person is going to lease from the Game dept he would do good to spend a little more and stay a week or so looking at the area.If he is going to sub-lease, who was the last guy there and why did they leave, or have they???

One of Us
Picture of tanz2007
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this person is going to lease from the Game dept he would do good to spend a little more and stay a week or so looking at the area.If he is going to sub-lease, who was the last guy there and why did they leave, or have they???

Thats what I said, go check it out. It looks like JML safaris was there last and I have no idea if they still are. I was just checking on game populations I'm not involved with him nor do I know what his plans are.

One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kibokolambogo:

Kilombero is restricted to tourist hunting and with you coming out of Moscow might have been a client with
MS (no, not Mark Sullivan).

You are right. I was client MS ltd(not Mark Sullivan).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanz2007:
quote:

Thats what I said, go check it out. It looks like JML safaris was there last and I have no idea if they still are. I was just checking on game populations I'm not involved with him nor do I know what his plans are.

I believe he has shut shop and moved to greener pastures - maybe you ought to talk to the lady in charge.

One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know is JML huntng there yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont know if he is in Tanzania right now but he is hunting here this year, not sure where!