THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania:Makao hunting tender sparks controversy

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania:Makao hunting tender sparks controversy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.thecitizen.co.tz/t...-controversy-4474768

Link to article, it will not let me copy and paste.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9377 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
353 acres allotted to hunting? That seems odd.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hell, the photo tourists only got about 145 acres. Somebody needs to take math classes… rotflmo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13172 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Hell, the photo tourists only got about 145 acres. Somebody needs to take math classes… rotflmo

Jerry -

Here’s the quote they didn’t print

“The balance will be given to the Chinese for a recently discovered cobalt mine” Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3406 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
In Africa, always follow the money…. Mad

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13172 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone got their wires crossed and went from sq. kms to acres and even so, the area is far too small to be allocated to multiple uses other than photographic.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
In Africa, always follow the money…. Mad

Money RULES!

Especially in Africa and America when it comes to politics! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The money makes no sense to me. The old price was just under $100k US. That seemed overpriced to me. Why are they bidding up a small communal area? Can someone explain.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area and I realize in Masailand you hunt among the people, but 9 villages?

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
The money makes no sense to me. The old price was just under $100k US. That seemed overpriced to me. Why are they bidding up a small communal area? Can someone explain.

There are many non rational actors in the Tanzanian hunting scene; extremely wealthy individuals that want blocks for their own enjoyment, or ego boosting. The owners of KNS is one of the wealthiest families in the country, and don't need to make money on their blocks.

For the record, I still don't get it, but that is the reality.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you explained. Thankyou for that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that those same people who have the concessions to themselves pay 100% of the trophy fees demanded by the government.

Not sure how that compares with other concessions which are run commercially.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67042 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
What you need to know:
The tender attracted four bids including Bushman Safaris Trackers Limited, Kilombero North Safaris Limited, EBN Hunting Safaris, and Mwiba.

Arusha. Controversy has engulfed the recent hunting tender for the Makao Community Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in Simiyu Region, with three companies challenging the results.

The dispute hinges on alleged violations of tender rules and raises questions about transparency within the process.

Makao WMA, spanning 601 square kilometers, encompasses nine villages and dedicates portions of its land to various activities, including 353 acres for hunting tourism.

Prior to the new tender, Mwiba Holding Limited held the lease for over a decade, paying Sh198 million annually alongside other payments.

The latest tender attracted four bids: Bushman Safaris Trackers Limited, Kilombero North Safaris Limited, EBN Hunting Safaris, and Mwiba. However, Bushman, Mwiba, and EBN have raised objections, alleging irregularities in the process.

The aggrieved companies claim the winner, Kilombero North, submitted their application past the deadline but still received an opportunity to improve their bid, a contravention of established procedures. Mwiba representative Eribariki Lucas stated, "We all who do not agree with the results have written protest letters demanding adherence to the law."

WMA Secretary Jeremiah Nishon acknowledged receiving the complaints and confirmed the tender took place on December 5, 2023. He defended the process, highlighting a 65 percent assessment of the existing investor (Mwiba) and subsequent evaluations of all bidders through site visits. However, he admitted he was seeking approval from higher authorities due to the formal appeals.

Interestingly, Kilombero North secured the lease with a he[y concession offer of Sh650 million per year, exceeding Mwiba's revised bid of Sh635 million, EBN's Sh437 million, and Bushman's Sh382 million. WMA Chairman Daniel Sagika expressed confidence in the process while awaiting further instructions.

Director of the Wildlife Department, Dr. Fortunata Msoffe, confirmed the tender's existence but emphasised the need for proper legal procedures in addressing any complaints.

Makao WMA is made up of nine villages and has an area of 601 square kilometers. In this area, 353 acres are allocated for hunting tourism, 147 acres for photographic tourism, 17.9 acres for mining, 5 acres for cultural tourism and 77 acres for other activities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The value put on this concession TZS 650 million ($260K) per year is inconceivable but once observing the breakdown which includes 17.9 acres {sq/km} for mining, then it starts to make sense.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote